SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

problem with layout (very late in the game)

victoriajane
15 years ago

Our architect planned our kitchen with an L shaped counter. The long side of the L is our back wall which houses our range, and for the other side of the L he designed a peninsula, which separates the cooking/prep area from the "morning room" area. The peninsula countertop is bisected by a "half wall." On the cooking side of the peninsula is the main sink and the dishwasher; on the other side is supposed to be the "information center." In addition to these counters, our kitchen will have an island inside the L shape with a prep sink and microwave.

I am not loving this layout to put it mildly. The half wall butterflying the countertop into two equal sides lookes ridiculous to me (And if you are wondering where I was during the drawing stage, well, I'm wondering too.) My thought right now is to turn the "information center" counter into a breakfast bar by raising it to bar height and cutting it back to 18" depth. Of course, I have seen this done many times and in the right kitchen it looks great. Mine is of the "vintage victorian" type and a bi-level peninsula just doesn't seem to fit, somehow. Any thoughts? I did have a crazy hair-brained scheme to convert the peninsula to a second island (running perpendicular to the first island) which seems to fit in better with our style but I don't know how feasible that is this far along in the plans (framing is up, electrical and plumbing are in.) Plus we have a big bay window area at the other end of the room for a round kitchen table and 6 chairs, which , along with two islands, seems like a little much. Anyone who was able to follow the thread thus far and has any suggestions or opinions, please let me know!!!

Comments (19)