SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stealthecrumbs

pearls of wisdom, ode to the toe kick

stealthecrumbs
10 years ago

firstly- i remain in awe of the designers who contribute to this board. there are so many details in a kitchen and it is like a puzzle. everything has to fit together perfectly. those of you that do this every day and do it well... WOW! thank you for sharing your time and expertise with us.

now... i am in the thick of it. cabinets are starting to go in this week. i know it will look great and i am sure i will be happy but i am currently in frustration-ville. despite more than a year of research i see mistakes. here's one- if you have an old house, you probably have uneven floors and ceilings. well, we actually ripped out our 100 year old plaster ceiling and leveled the new ceiling so the crown would sit pretty on top of our cabinets. we did not redo the floors because they are hardwood and in good shape. our old counters were uncomfortably high for my 5ft 2in (on a good day!) self and i guess i thought the new ones would miraculously be standard height. (without knowing exactly how that would happen...)

and yet they are going to be high again. painfully high. they are standard in the highest spot in the room but will be more than 37in high where i actually do work.

am i correct that what i should have done is to request a shorter toe kick so that they would be a more comfortable height in the work areas? how should a normal person know to request this? and had i done so, would it have caused problems with appliance installation?

pearl of wisdom for another short old house home owner out there...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths