SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenerdev

Converting Barkers cabinets to have integrated flush ends

GardenerDev
10 years ago

I'm just about ready to place an order for Barkers cabinets, but don't like the finished end panels they say to use and wonder if I can instead buy an end panel and substitute it for the intended cabinet side panel for an "integrated flush end" effect. I'm thinking I can use pocket screws from the top, bottom and back of the cabinet to attach the side, but wonder whether this will provide enough stability?

Specifically, I am hoping to do this for two upper cabinets 36" wide x 46.75" high x 14" deep, and one pantry composed of two cabinets (64" high x 18" wide x 24" deep and 36.75" high x 18" wide x 24" deep).

The upper cabinets each have one fully exposed side, while the pantry has lower cabinets and also 14" deep upper cabinets next to it, so that the exposed space on the pantry is relatively small (the 18" gap from countertop to upper cabinets, and the 10" gap from upper cabinet depth to counter depth).

I will have to get the end panels trimmed to do this, since Barkers makes them 14 5/8" instead of 14" deep, but once that's done, does my proposed change sound like it will provide adequate structural support? How far apart should I put the pocket screws / (so I can calculate how many to put along each edge)? Do you think I should use glue in addition to the pocket screws?

Many thanks!

Comments (8)