SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
noname4me_gw

kitchen island design - drawer microwave and pop-up mixer stand?

noname4me
10 years ago

We're in the process of remodeling the kitchen, and I'm adding an island that will be 30" x 8'. The counter top will be open, so no cook stove or sink or anything.

Right now, I have a microwave sitting on my counter top, which drives me nuts. I'm considering a drawer microwave. Do any of you have one? Do you love it or hate it? Do you have any other suggestions for how to get the microwave off the counter top and make it a more integral part of the design of the kitchen? I hate the microwave/range hood combos - I'm short, so they're hard for me to reach, I'm afraid of the the kids spilling boiling hot food on their faces, and it wouldn't work with our kitchen design anyway.

I'm also considering a pop up mixer stand, but I have some reservations about the design of these. The ones I've seen pictures of (never seen one in real life!) show a cabinet door open and the mixer stand sticking out. My concern is that the open cabinet door will get bumped and broken (we're a clumsy family, overall), and that the mixer stand sticking out will make the aisle between the island and the other cabinets so narrow that it will be a problem. Any experiences with these that you'd care to share?

Thanks!

Comments (16)