SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
princessmoxie

How much countertop weight can a gusseted corbel support?

Suzi B
11 years ago

Hello! I posted this message in the Building forum but thought some of you might know as much or more on this subject....We are in the process of installing quartz countertops, part of which is a LONG, L-shaped raised breakfast bar atop a knee wall. Dimensions are as pictured (thickness = 1.25". 10" overhang, but short side might be 8" overhang). We had prepared the knee wall by installing 5 or 6 hidden-L-shaped brackets at the studs (8" x 8" I think). But upon installation (round 1!), we found that the quartz was WAY heavier than expected, and the brackets still allowed quite a bit of "sag." So, for round 2, I'm asking for any engineering advice any of you may have! I am now planning to get gusseted steel countertop brackets from Federal Brace. Is there a formula I can use to determine how many brackets/corbels will work? I gather quartz is around 20-25 lbs per square foot, and that I need to allow for an extra amount in case I need to get on the counter to change the lightbulbs.... what now? Any advice appreciated. note: far right stud is 12" from the second to last one.

Comments (2)