SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molly_phillips5546059

Another one for the layout experts! Would love feedback...

Molly Phillips
13 years ago

Okay, I think I'm ready to show a first draft. Would love to hear what you think.

What are your goals? To increase usable/ functional space, make better use of the space, allow for more storage and create an aesthetically pleasing and inviting place for family and friends to hang out.

What is your family composition? Two adults and two young children - ages 3 and 13 months

How many kitchen workers are there? Usually just one main cook (DH or me), with some "help" from the 3 year old. I love to cook and will teach my kids to help in the kitchen as they age.

How do you see your kitchen used? Cooking, kids playing while Mom cooks, a tie to the breakfast area where my kids color and do artwork in addition to eating and will eventually do homework.

Do you entertain a lot? The most people we typically have over equal about 12 total - any more than that and I over think EVERYTHING.

Do you want your kitchen to be a "hang out" place? Doesn't it always end up that way? In any case, as much time as I spend in there, I want others to hang out with me!

Do you have a separate DR? Yes.

Would you like to open up the kitchen to adjacent areas? Our current kitchen opens up somewhat to our family room but the new plan is to open it even more.

Where are you flexible? We do not see this as our "forever" house so I am willing to keep costs down in cabinet expenses and somewhat on countertops (not really interested in laminate but don't need high-end marble, either) Also can work around appliances, although I definitely want an induction cooktop, whether it's as a range or just cooktop. The only structural movement is removing a current kitchen wall to make room for the hallway you see at the bottom of this layout to create a more functional, less noticeable entry from garage into a mudroom/laundry room and moving the kitchen opening from that hallway to the right. We are also pushing out the breakfast bay so we're not on top of one another walking to the family room.

Comments (2)