SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

Has anyone actually done a 'Peacock' kitchen?

igloochic
13 years ago

I'm seriously toying with a Peacock kitchen in our house. It's a victorian home and after three years of remodeling hell to do our last kitchen, I am a bit dazzled by the idea of doing it right the first time...and yes, despite the cost because the last kitchen cost far too much because of contractors who cheated us in the process.

So I'm curious...if you've worked with Peacock, have they lived up to their reputation????

Comments (47)

• plllog
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

My cabinetmaker did a faux Peacock for half the price. The painters were the same people who do the real Peacock. They said his work was better.

If you can find a really topnotch cabinetmaker who can do a top quality custom kitchen for you (perhaps with a designer), you might have a better outcome. Local and personal is always the best.

OTOH, I bet Mr. Peacock would be inspired by your wonderful house, and might give you extra personal attention.

• User
    13 years ago

LOL I had to laugh when I read the title of the post... First thought that jumped into my head was..."Wouldn't Igloochic do something like that..?"

Go for it IC! You know you wannnnnnaaaa! Oh.. and pics are mandatory for those of us living vicariously through your projects! Add a few feathers for the IC touch!

• Related Discussions

Has anyone actually painted a HFGH?

Q

Comments (5)
    Aluminum can be painted, but you have to be very careful about the paint. If it's sprayed on, it would be a very thin coating and unlikely to afffect tollerances for setting in bolts for assembly. Perhaps prime and light first coat it first, then finish coat after the frame is assembled, before the polycarb is installed. If you don't have the means to powder coat aluminum, the next best is the right primer and paint and for that, I honestly don't know of any that would do a better job than Krylon acrylic. Then, you could give it a satin finish, which covers better than gloss and has a more elegant look to it. But the cost might be prohivitive- or perhaps not. If $50- 60.00 of Krylon would make that much of an asthetic difference for you and the appearance of your property, it might be worth the extra cost. Otherwise, just hit the frame pieces with a good metal polish before you assemble it. If nothing else, it would delay discoloration and pitting, especially if you are near the ocean. A garden GH can add value to a home while giving pleasure to its owner, or reduce it, depending on how well it compliments, or detracts from the appearance of the whole, so only you can know what is best for your home, in your neighborhood.
    ...See More

Brown Painted Kitchen Island? Has anyone done this?

Q

Comments (4)
    We did a facelift and painted the island medium brown and I've been very happy with it. Picks up the colors in the marble -- irl it's a greenish-dark brown that looks almost gray at times of the day and blends really well with stainless if that's an issue. It's Farrow & Ball Dauphin in Eggshell finish. Our floors are white oak and ambered over time, which gives them a reddish cast. That goes well with the Dauphin. With White Dove I'd take a look at Ben Moore Bittersweet Chocolate. That's a deep brown that was used to redo an entire kitchen on her several years back. Forget the poster's name -- perhaps someone remembers. It was a kitchen outside Chicago and she went with an aqua backsplash. BC looks terrific on cabinets. I actually prefer painted to the wood on many cabinets I see but, of course, it always personal preference and depends on the cabinets. I like painted furniture, too. Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Painted Island
    ...See More

Has anyone actually used the Bodarp Ikea cabinet doors?

Q

Comments (121)
    My daughter used the IKEA Bodarp green kitchen units for her new open plan kitchen extension and sourced some wooden terrazzo worktops, ply handles and oak slats panels to go round the peninsular. Looked amazing when completed. Here are some photos taken during the completion of it.
    ...See More

Has anyone done a Devol Kitchen? How much was it, incl installation?

Q

Comments (17)
    @Maria We just signed the contract for our new painted, Brookhaven frameless cabinets and there a a lot of them. Fridge and DW panels, island panels, two trash pullouts, all drawer bases (9 of them), pantry with rollouts, wall oven cabinet with inserts and 6 15" uppers, one with glass doors. Cost around $50K with very little customization. I did a significantly larger kitchen than this 5 years ago at our beach house with the same cabinets and the price was the same so things have gone up in price quite a bit. We did a much smaller, custom kitchen in our previous house 14 years ago which had cabinets made by Kennebec Company in Maine, period style for our old house. Inset, some glass, 15" uppers (3), all drawer bases (4, one highly customized), two pullouts, one for trash, one for cans, wall oven cabinet with inserts, fridge, freezer and DW panel, crown mold and furniture style toe kick trim, penisnula panels, quartersawn oak, hand painted interiors (even drawers) and they cost $55K. This is a long way of saying that $40K does sound low for high quality full custom painted inset cabinets. I might add that while my Kennebec cabinets were beautiful, like fine furniture, I hated myself for spending so much money on them which is why I chose mid range for my new kitchen. The joy/price ratio just wasn't high enough for me. LOL.
    ...See More
  • mitchdesj
    13 years ago

Hi Igloo, the October issue of Traditional Home has an article on Christopher Peacock and how he did his own kitchen, a classic white example.

• sayde
    13 years ago

What is it about the Peacock kitchen that you really want? If you can identify what attracts you, you may be able to attain that for a lot less. For example, there are other cabinet makers who will make doors that are a full inch thick (rather than the standard which is about 3/4) if you specify that.

What I want to know is -- have you decided what range you will have in your new kitchen? Will it be another Lacanche or something else?

• bmorepanic
    13 years ago

I am not in the socio-economic class to ever consider this, but I ain't gonna talk you out of it. I so totally understand what you mean about getting someone good and parking it in their hands. It would work in your house. I admit to also wanting to hear from people who have one of his kitchens - vicarious pleasure is still pleasure.

Mick de Giulio might also be in that price class for very tradional but with some modern swing. I can't remember, but his group might be closer to you. Probably CrownPoint is less, but they're bring your own contractor.

We used a local cabinet-furniture maker for a couple of things we couldn't do (table and fabricate a panel) and I was surprised at the really good level of his cabinet work (saw different types of cabinets under construction in his shop). I could have brought over ANYTHING and had it built and installed.

• jejvtr
    13 years ago

Igloo

Never did a Peacock kitchen

I'm sure whatever you do it will be stunning

Link below may help with comparitives

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom cabs

• igloochic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mitch thanks, I'll be sure to pick that up today.

See here's the thing.....this house is wonderful, but somewhat overwhelming to say the least. We do have a good contractor, but they are laying people off left and right, including the historical expert lead carpenter who was assigned to our house. So there are concerns there...and given the hell we went through in the last remodel, alleviating some of that worry is.....well let's say it's a luxurious thought to an overwhelmed homeowner!!!!

Not to mention the lost money from all off the issues with the other house. Literally, we are talking about nearly $175k in money ripped off, or costs to redo shoddy work on that house....which could have paid for nearly a total redo of this kitchen. It's painful to think about really.

When you do a nonlocal peacock kitchen you use your own contractor to gut and prepare the space so we would be using local folks for the majority of the work. But there is no way I'm taking on the hiring of all of those folks myself, including cabinet makers. I don't really want to deal with it. CPs folks would then come down and finish the space, and of course be involved in the design portion, which I am basically doing but want their input on.

I guess I'll keep toying unless I hear a reason not to.

The new kitchen will likely sport a sully 2200. It's about 20x20 sp we have the room. The space will also include putting back the butlers pantry, a powder room, a mud room and redo of the servants dining room (where we eat most often). Those are all rooms attached to the 20x20 kitchen.

Lots of unfitted cabinetry as well as antiques and historic lighting. A few library ladders, many paint colors etc. Standard iggy design work :). Dh is lobbying for a moltini island range (not the podium but an old fashioned style) but I think he will lose that argument because we could buy a second child with that kind of money :p. (kidding! Don't freak out).

And instead of chickens we will be featuring bowls (though one does have a chicken on it lol). I've been collecting for years and want a ten foot tall hutch in antique pine on our five foot wide chimney wall to display them.

Just the usual crazy stuff I like lol but it has to be very historical in feel (modern is not an option) because it's a registered house and we take that responsibility seriously. We are also afraid of raising up ghosts if we don't treat the house right....but we don't tell people that so they don't think we are nuts....

• sayde
    13 years ago

I for one do not think you are nuts about fears of raising up ghosts! We feel the same way about our old house although it isn't on any historical registers. We bought the house from the estate of the original owner builders so it was never "remuddled," and we feel driven to preserve and restore just as you do. We found pictures of the man who had the house built for him and his bride, and we imagine he is still guiding us --DH keeps finding just the very thing he needs and each time it happens he tells me he thinks Emil Rodenbeck (the original owner) is putting it right there where he will find it. So, we are as nuts as you if not more so!

Your kitchen is going to be fabulous! A Sully 2200 and everything to go with! Cannot wait to see it take shape!

• junicb
    13 years ago

I have no input on the Peacock kitchen, but I can completely sympathize with doing it once (and right). We have been so frustrated by shoddy contractors and paying to have things re-done, that we've have pledged to have our tuckpointing done correctly. Unfortunately, that means paying through the nose. Even though the historically accurate mason's bid made me want to both throw up and faint, I just have to remember the drama we went through with the previous contractors to remind me it's worth it...

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Folks who do Peacock kitchens generally don't hang around here. I can't really remember one in the past 6 years. With outfits like Peacock, Bulthaup, Smallbone etc. they have highly trained KDs who know the intracacies of their cabinets, fixtures and appliances which go well with them. They like to install as well. You pay for this and after making the decisions should simply be able to elegantly watch as the kitchen goes in. You are buying their look, aesthetic judgments and their quality. Functionality is assumed.

Perhaps you might need to have appliances on hand -- I expect that depends. Crown Point is another outfit that can do this in a particular range of styles.

In addition there is Clive Christian who does ultra with installers and finishers who come from England.

Mick diGiulio will use Siematic cabinets in a range he designs or his own cabinets, custom sinks and other wonderful features though he mixes traditional and modern. Again, it's buying his custom ideas. He usually installs Wolf or La Cornue.

• sayde
    13 years ago

I think if I had the resources to do a really high end kitchen, and if I were also seriously committed to a period/vintage appropriate kitchen, I would look into Kennebec or Cook & Cook cabinetry -- both custom in a league at least equal to Crown Point, but with a somewhat more academically historic kind of capability.

• melissastar
    13 years ago

OK, I admit it. I'd never heard of a "Peacock" kitchen. So when I saw the header on this post, I thought: "Ooohhhh, having done a chicken kitchen, Igloochick is now going to do a peacock kitchen. I had visions of the gorgeous inlays and oriental influences of Winslow Homer's Peacock Room, which is installed intact at the Freer Gallery here in Washington DC. And frankly, I thought, well, if anyone can pull it off, she can!

• igloochic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

lmao Melissa that final post made me literally lol :) But what a great inspiration :oP Unfortunately for us, this was a servant's kitchen so going "peacock" in tones etc would be a historical mistake ;( Maybe my next house LOL It would make a fabulous kitchen wouldn't it?

Sayde your story about the house made me smile. What a wonderful find! Ours has not been a family home since the orignal owner died in 1920 so we have a great deal of remuddling to clena up, but fortunately for us it was done pretty well, and no one ever painted the woodwork, which the house if known for. We have the bones...but much work to bring back the well...guts and skin? LOL

I will do some research on the other names that were posted. Thanks for all of those sayde and rococo! I'm only in the beginning phase of this, given we have too much going on prior to the 1st of the year to do the kitchen (we're letting the local victorian society do a tour at christmas so I can't rip it up prior). So the more ideas the merrier.

Juni...it's painful but you obviously "get it" when it comes to the why's of wanting a peacock or peacock esk kitchen remodeling experience. I've been down the difficult path and frankly, I want a servant carrying me on the path this time in one of those silk laden carts they run with on their shoulders LOL OK maybe not that easy...it never is, and I do want to be involved, but I don't want to have to be doing it all...ie running around with a measuring tape checking overhangs, verifying hours worked, checking that the grade of wood was as ordered...I want to trust it's done right.

Rococo your description of why I want to do this is also spot on. I'm buying guaranteed peace (hopefully). And top of the line designers hopefully. While I have some general ideas of what I want, I would never put my ametuer skills up against someone who knows their products inside and out. I also want wood, real paint, exact measurements, quality knobs and pulls, (Ok I have that in the other kitchen LOL I love my knobs) etc. I do require that whoever we work with works with our choices though. I'm willing to splurge on their work, but I'm not buying some ugly LaCornue when I can have a Molteni or Lacanche (I don't like LaCornue oddly enough...kind of like one of those wines everyone claims to own just cuz it's cool....it's gotten too average, especially since they allowed the knock off).

Clive Christian interests me....our original owner built this as his retirement home and moved his family from England when it was finished. We have been careful in our remoddeling to consider English styles (because the house is more English in many ways than the average Queen Anne due to the owner desigining it while in England). We even tripped over an English Gardener (I got him at a thrift store heh heh and I adore him). He's helping me restore the formal english gardens that were rumored to have been here once.

ok more research to do :) Thanks all. Oh and Mom....ummm I haven't posted it yet LOL Gad I need to be nagged about that more often! I owe that kitchen's fun to GW and really need to kick it in the bumm....

• melissastar
    13 years ago

oops....the peacock room wasn't Winslow Homer...it's James Whistler!

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

"Not I," said the pickle.

But I'm looking forward to seeing your new kitchen, Peacock or no. Just the mention of a Lacanche Sully makes me drool. :)

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

The top designers should accommodate preferences very well -- it's your kitchen. One may not like the looks of La Cornue but when Mick di Giulio -- arguably the top kitchen designer in the country right now -- explains why he uses them it's very convincing, especially since he designed the Wolf demonstration kitchens in their headquarters. But it's a certain style. Can't wait to see his custom sinks.

What you're paying for with any of the high end folks is their precision plans, experience, materials, installation expertise and the quality of what each of them do with any of their designs. I personally am obsessed with Bulthaup (way different style) and I could so have gone down there, showed them the color I like and let them suggest options but I think you really must want exactly that to do it. Like having a stylist LOL

Oddly enough, most of the white kitchens everyone loves right now are really informed by Victorian style which certainly works in favor of anyone with a Vicky house. Of course, those were unfitted and had huge freestanding sinks like this vintage monell sink (similar to zinc) or white porcelain. Crown Point did a scullery sink that makes me drool.

I was allowed to photograph the kitchen at the Vanderbilt Mansion in Rhinebeck, NY and the detailing was surprisingly current: marble, mosaic floor, big sink, big black hulky range, built in storage hutches -- and a scullery in the adjoining room.

If you're not opposed to importing from England and still don't find a heart throb among the names upthread, I can point you to some additional Brits whose work I admire.

No idea if you want this or even like it but if I remember your kitchen space correctly, you could have some terrific antiques worked in there. Whither the tile stove?

Here is a link that might be useful: di Giulio

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Can't wait to see and live vicariously no matter which great direction you decide to jump...The great designers and the big Lacanche had my attention, but you really set the hook in good with the focus on bowls. Sighhhhhh.... If we ever do another house, it will have major bowl storage/showoff space.

• katsmah
    13 years ago

There is still one Clive Christian display kitchen for sale at Green Demolitions -
    http://www.greendemolitions.com/clivechristiandisplays.html#cc001

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Demolitions Clive Christian kitchens

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Melissa- I thought the same thing you did. Sounds exotic, but Igloochic could pull it off :)

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

...from the Pacific Northwest.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Peacock Room at the Davenport

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Count me among the folks that immediately thought of the Peacock Room ! Iggy- your reputation precedes you in all things kitchen, and chickens...
    And personally I think you and your family deserve some peace and quiet - let someone else stress about the kitchen, nitty gritty( except the pulls, of course)
    Life ain't getting any longer, girl. Go for it.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rococo...I haven't been hanging out in the kitchen forum for a while so forgive me if this is a "known" to most....but I'm assuming you are a designer??? You definately know your stuff :).

So for the peacock fans....no not the cabinet maker heh heh. I haven't looked at images of the peacock room for some time but y'all got me going lol. Loe and behold....umm it's in blue and gold....the exact shade of blue I will be finishing the final coat of paint on in the smoking parlor today...as well as finishing the final section of the gold ceiling. The drapes will be gild silk...we are more eastlake than your standard queen Anne house so they will not be over the top...but still....I'm already half way to peacock lol. Maybe I'll take it over the peacock top....I'm getting inspired lol

Rococo....I have a German silver sink that looks like that monell sink sitting in storage. It will be in the butlers pantry, though apparently I have to work out some drain issues to make it work with the dish drawers. In the kitchen, on the sink run, which is tucked between a wall and chimney, we will have a zinc counter and sink most likely because after having an integrated stainless counter and sink made for our last kitchen, I can't give up the sheer joy of a metal sink run.

I'll post a few pics of the space so you can see what I have to work with for fun. The before and after will be a huge change lol. We have a guy coming in to draw up a cad drawing on the house which will make it much easier to start my design from. Y'all are getting me excited about the planning lol.

Sue....smooches. I'm all for the peace and quiet route...well as peaceful as. Ripping off a quarter of the first floor can be....that entire area has had the most remodeling...and desperately needs to find itself in order again. And then after that we tackle the master suite.....20x50 and we still have no closet or a decent shower lol.

Ok off to finish my peacockish smoking parlor.....I need some feathers lol

• danncd
    13 years ago

Best Cabinets is a custom manufacturer out of Chicago and they have a similar line too. They ship throughout the US on blanket wrapped trucks.

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom Cabinets

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Peacock seems fitting in an Aesthetic house since it was a popular motif at that time. Very nice.

Yes, guilty as charged in the designer dept.

Zinc is incredibly beautiful and warm and while not as durable as stainless if you can accept dinging and staining it should be a super look. Very exciting.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Newcastlemom- Great pictures of the Davenport. Have you been there? It's beautiful! They did such a great job on the remodel :)

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Lavender, I intended to go for cocktails last time I was in town but ran out of time; isn't that ceiling stunning?

Igloo chic, I second the ask for your photos. Eye candy for us.

• kaismom
    13 years ago

Rococogurl hit the nail on the head regarding people who hire/spend lots of money not hanging out here...
    I know many people that have spent/will spent 6 to 7 figures (easily) on their house remodels. They do not hang out here, shop for their own fixtures, or hire their own carpenters. They hire designers and general contractors that they can just punt to!

They seem to be busy making money so they can spend more money or busy spending their money elsewhere :)

Igloochic, your house is in Port Townsend, WA. I am not sure how the logistics will work if you worked with designers that are relatively far away when you live in a small town. I am sure you still have to hire a local contractor and craftsmen. I doubt that Peacock or di Giulio has a list of "craftsman" or "contractors" that are approved/cerfitied to work on their products in Port Townsend.

Good and the bad of Port Townsed is that even though it is a small town, there is a strong tradition of exceptional high quality woodworkers. This is a town with wooden boat building history and skilled boat builders are probably the best carpenters around.

There is a Siematic showroom in Seattle, only couple hours and a ferry ride. They may be able to refer you to happy customers.

When I bought Henrybuilt cabinets, they strongly recommended that I use their approved installer. They felt that it was very important to have the installer that knew the "esthetics" of how to install these cabinets. They have a list of approved installers for all major cities. In Seattle, WA, there is a company that specializes in installing high end cabinets. This is the company that was referred to me by Henrybuilt. The company mostly does "tranditional high end" kitchens... If you would like, I can refer you their contact. I am not sure if they have ever done a Peacock kitchen or not...

There is also Krakow/Jennings.
    http://www.krekowjennings.com/

If anyone has done a Peacock kitchen in the Seattle area, these guys maybe a place to start....

I believe, these guys did Bill Gates' house. (I may be wrong...) This is a general contractor that specializes in very high end homes, ie microsoft and other dot com billionaires. (mostly because you have to be a dot com billionaire to afford these guys...) I had them bid for one little/tiny/microscopic part of our project. Mostly because we could not figure out how we would do it.. In the end, I ended up doing it for 1/5th to 1/10th of what it would have cost to do it with them! The reason I was able to do it for so little was because I did all the homework, ferretting the sub, figure out the design, nail down the parts needed, line up the carpenter etc. If you don't want to go through the leg work like I did, these types of construction companies are well established with good reputation.

Selllen is another company that does high end homes.
    http://www.sellen.com/

Again, they maybe able to refer you to "happy" customers.

If you are not keen on hiring local yokels in Port Townsend, give these people a jingle...

• igloochic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Rococo...I haven't been hanging out in the kitchen forum for a while so forgive me if this is a "known" to most....but I'm assuming you are a designer??? You definately know your stuff :).

So for the peacock fans....no not the cabinet maker heh heh. I haven't looked at images of the peacock room for some time but y'all got me going lol. Loe and behold....umm it's in blue and gold....the exact shade of blue I will be finishing the final coat of paint on in the smoking parlor today...as well as finishing the final section of the gold ceiling. The drapes will be gild silk...we are more eastlake than your standard queen Anne house so they will not be over the top...but still....I'm already half way to peacock lol. Maybe I'll take it over the peacock top....I'm getting inspired lol

Rococo....I have a German silver sink that looks like that monell sink sitting in storage. It will be in the butlers pantry, though apparently I have to work out some drain issues to make it work with the dish drawers. In the kitchen, on the sink run, which is tucked between a wall and chimney, we will have a zinc counter and sink most likely because after having an integrated stainless counter and sink made for our last kitchen, I can't give up the sheer joy of a metal sink run.

I'll post a few pics of the space so you can see what I have to work with for fun. The before and after will be a huge change lol. We have a guy coming in to draw up a cad drawing on the house which will make it much easier to start my design from. Y'all are getting me excited about the planning lol.

Sue....smooches. I'm all for the peace and quiet route...well as peaceful as. Ripping off a quarter of the first floor can be....that entire area has had the most remodeling...and desperately needs to find itself in order again. And then after that we tackle the master suite.....20x50 and we still have no closet or a decent shower lol.

Ok off to finish my peacockish smoking parlor.....I need some feathers lol

• lonestarstate
    13 years ago

Looked at peacock. Seems that for a ROI to make sense on a 175-200k kitchen (contents, not shell) house value with lot (not price), would need to approach 3 million. If that is the case I would do it. Why not? Did not make sense for us based on those parameters.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Lonestar if you consider the average suggested kitchen remodel should be around 15% of your homes value (an arbitrary number but the most often thrown around figure) than a peacock kitchen makes sense for a home at half the value (financially) you posted above does it not?

But just to throw a curve at you...I spent about $175 on my last kitchen remodel which equAted to about 30% of my homes value. ROI to us? Ten million percent when it comes to the sheer joy of having a space we love, regardless of what it equates to when we sell the place. We expect to own this house twenty years or more so it's easier to feel comfortable spending a large sum on the house given we plan to enjoy it for many years to come. That and we literally have no kitchen right now aside from a few appliances on the back porch :).

Kaismom...you would be surprised how many gwebbers are here who have spent six figures on their kitchen. I can think of several from the last four years vie been active. There has been some obnoxious backlash in the past at these people so I think they have been more quiet than those who spend less. I know from experience, remodel your whole house for ten grand and you are loved....spend that on your range and you are the Tony Hayward of garden web.

I do really appreciate your post though. You have been very generous with sources and have added some research for me :). Thank you for that.

Now someone explain why my post went on twice...hours away from each other please?..

• riverspots
    13 years ago

Igloochic- I'm probably one of those who made comments questioning someone's need for a $10K stove. I don't begrudge anyone that can really afford those luxuries to be surrounded by them (i.e., they've already set aside money-or have sufficient cash inflow-to take care of the more basic necessities.) But most posts suggest that the extra expenditure for the luxury item is an issue. What I just can't stand, is going to the grocery store and getting dirty looks from the kids and parents when I don't contribute to their new sports uniforms or European trips when I know that those same parents have just put in a new $80K kitchen and have heard the mother bragging about their new 8 burner Wolf range.

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Igloo, Rococogurl knows her stuff. Her "about us" is quite impressive.

I've seen a lot of high end kitchens. As with anything, some were done better than others. Depends on the homeowner, designer and/or cabinetmaker. I would be less worried about spending a huge amount of money via a big outfit like Peacock or Clive. The neighbor of a good friend has a Clive kitchen. It is gorgeous... and it should be for the price. But I don't believe it is necessary to go with the bigger outfits (or spend more) to get that quality.

You probably know I love unfitted. I think it if fairly simple for the TKO to pull off, if they have a good eye (natural talent, whatever you want to call it). Have you considered David T Smith? They have a Victorian kitchen on their website. It's not necessary to go with Peacock, et al to get that caliber kitchen. For me, I found it a better experience working with a smaller company/cabinetmaker. If I had found DTS earlier, I most likely would have gone with them. But the cabinetmaker I worked with in England did provide me with the kitchen I had in my mind, so all's well.

Here is a link that might be useful: David T Smith

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

The spirit of this place always has been to meet the person doing an Ikea kitchen with reused appliances with the same friendly helpfulness as someone pursuing a Peacock kitchen and custom range. And at least try not to be publicly judgmental, difficult as that can be when someone's buttons get pushed.

OTOH, I don't see many people here bragging about anything except getting a bargain. And anyway, those of us who have more than one set of reno bookmarks can look at a kitchen and know what someone is spending the moment the choices are detailed or pix are shown.

As for real estate, IME the usual formulas no longer apply with housing in a deflationary cycle that's likely to last a long time. Yes, it's regional, but strategies and reasons for putting money into a home these days can, and probably should, be different than they've been for the last 60 years.

• igloochic
    Original Author
    13 years ago

River I'm totally with you on that sentiment :) When we've discussed kitchen costs here over the years I consistently say that IMO it's ok to spend what you like, but not what you can't afford. You shouldn't go into debt long term for a kitchen. But if one can afford it, and not back off on supporting their kids education :) than why not? I'm also a freak about putting things in the kitchen you USE verses building a showcase kitchen that no one ever enters. I've seen far too many "Tuscan" dust rooms in big houses where the only dirty appliance is the microwave. In our house, you can be assured the ten k range is grease spotted after a party LOL Probably the back splash behind it as well heh heh

I did spend a lot on our kitchen in alaska, because we wanted unusual stuff, but even then, and in this house, I still shop for bargain stuff, haunt ebay, stop at every garage sale LOL The thrill of the hunt does not go away if you spend more on your kitchen. Maybe that's just cuz I'm cheap :) But I rather enjoy wandering through a salvage market and finding a treasure!

Allison thanks for the link. I'll check him out. I'm not married to the Peacock idea, but I am definately in lust with the idea of the process being easier. We hope to be adding a child or two to the house in the same space of time we're working on the kitchen, and I don't want to have to baby sit the process like I did before.

Rococo...I'd agree on the spirit :) But I will also say the spirit sometimes gets ugly. Some of the posts I've seen make me shake my head. Beating up white kitchens, etc. Fortunately that's getting better, but it's still an issue and never so much as when someone mentions something evil like a Lacornue Not as ugly as the Antique forum, but still...it's not always a friendly land for white kitchens or molteni's :oP

I'd agree with you on the forumlas. Actually I never did quite agree with the formulas and never advised a client to follow them as if they were god's guidelines. There are to many variables. For instance, time in the home matters, the location can skew everything, age of the house, etc can all throw those little guidelines in the trash. In our alaska home I knew we wouldn't take a huge bath on the kitchen costs even if we did sell because we're in a location that allows me to name my price (within reason). There are very very few properties located in the city on a lake that are available for less than a million bucks. Because we'd be below that amount pretty significantly, and because townhouses are a strong market to the transient industry, we could put more into the house than I could if I was in another location without the lake as a draw.

But back to the subject at hand....here are a few pics of the space. Notice in the kitchen we have a....sink and a non working wood stove. Yup that's the kitchen LOL

{{gwi:1662013}}

{{gwi:1957005}}

The stove will go in this nook (used to be the servants stairs):
    {{gwi:1957006}}

This is a rough sketch of the area. We would be taking about the back 25% apart and rebuilding it to make the old servants dining room, a mud room, a kitchen, a powder room and a butlers pantry. Lots of moved doors, etc involved:
    {{gwi:1957007}}

Half of these doors would go away:
    {{gwi:1957008}}

I already have a plan in mind, but need to tweek it. In that wall where the range would go we'd tuck a hood up above the range (but you wouldn't see it). It's hollow up there where the silly doors are in the upper wall. The wood stove is gone and on that wall I want a ten foot tall china cabinet for my bowls to be displayed on, in antique pine, but the base would be our recycling center disquised as cupboard doors, probably a custom base piece with an antique piece sitting on top. The sink area will stay but we changed and where the floating island is we'd have a tall table of some sort. The white double doors are currently a pantry but they would become a 48" subzero hidden in an icebox facade. In front of the range would be a huge island, something that mimics an old store counter with glass drawers in the front and on the stove side would house a prep sink in copper as well as two refridgerator drawers. Somewhere in there I have to work in an antique butcherblock for DH. Flanking the stove, burried in the wall as it is now would be cabinetry, pretty much surrounding the stove area. There would be a dishwasher by the sink, but also two dish drawers for china and crystal in the butlers pantry near the dining room.

We have a guy here drawing up plans for me so I can import to cheif architecht and begin working on the plans for real. Then I can have some more fun planning for real. :) Even if I do go the peacockish route...I'll still want to be involved. I just don't want to drag another contractor out screaming again....ok he wasn't screaming but he was crying and I am willing to pay anything to not have that happen again LOL

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Looks to me like you've got a prime place for the stove -- reminds me of this black and white kitchen by Robinson & Cornish, which I love.

And you seem to have it figured out so maybe you don't need a second set of plans via someone like Peacock. There's a ton of wonderful info on this thread -- Kaismom you're a whiz -- and great sources from Allison, Sayde and others. And you've got terrific space. Just wonderful.

Suppose white kitchens should be the subject of another thread. I'm on record and published as saying I feel the all-white trend is over because it's been done for the better part of a decade, which is a long time. Not everyone cares about trends and this is a sharp crowd around here with lots of expertise, lively opinions, ideas and clips who will do exactly what they want no matter what anyone says. As it should be, I think. When you're paying for it and have to live with it, get what you love.

Speaking of stoves, have you seen the Bonnet Maestro? . It's my current drool that turned up in an amazing home kitchen featured in Town & Country -- a 20 x 30' Victoria Hagan addition to a house in Connecticut with the same sort of nook you're doing, fabulous tile and one of those curtainlike hoods. I'm a French stove fan but hadn't heard of the brand -- turns out it's been written up because Thomas Keller has one at his restaurant Per Se.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I thought "Peacock" artsy fartsy too when I read the header...and since it was by igloo...I was invisioning awesome Peacock tile work etc. cause she always has something fabulous going on.

Krikeee...that cabinetry does look over the top in quality & design...ahhhh to have money!!!

It is wonderful that you are so dedicated to restoring your home correctly I love seeing all your pictures and hearing your stories. I love how you also want to support any ghoasties in a positive way.

• kaismom
    13 years ago

Egad,
    again, I managed to put my foot in my mouth and "annoy" someone....
    What I really meant to imply was NOT that GWer's do not have "expensive" kitchens.... What I wanted to convey was that if one is worth hundreds of millions AND has homes that are worth tens of millions, one does not often do one's own shopping.... Peacock kitchens are bought by people that have homes that are worth many or tens of mil. They "hire" the people to execute what they want. Seattle is full of these people (but not even remotely close to the number in NY). There are many companies that cater to these wealthy people. You should be able to find someone that should click with you.

Igloochic,
    If you want to embark on a project that is less hands-on, the most imporant part of the work is to find a designer/architect that you trust. Many of my friends/colleagues builds houses/remodels with architects/designers without being very hands on. They end up with very beautiful kitchens/houses. The way they go about it was to have the architects/designers present them with a "few" options on much of the finish work and they just "picked" from those options; door handles, cabinets, appliances etc. Obviously, if they felt strongly about something, then that stays in the design. Sometimes, they go shopping for what they want with the designers. Often, they don't worry if the project cost them 50k or 100k or 200k more than what they thought that it would cost. They just pay the bill and move on.

If you are comfortable with this type of arrangement, then you can build with much less hands-on involvement, leaving you time to get on with life. Money can give you the luxury of time if you don't care whether or not you spent 100k more than you needed/planned or not because having someone take care of the details were worth it to you. The end product can be and often are quite well done, "IF" you pick the right architect/designer. To do this, you have to trust the person you are working with AND let them do the work for you. This is not necessarily something that "control freaks" like me can let happen. As I am getting older and my budget is getting "more" comfortable, I am tyring to figure out a good balance of when to call in the calvary and when to trust my own design sense.

There is an amazing designer/artist that works near where I live. His projects are all over US. He has been written up in many art magazines. Rococogurl may find his work intriguing. I WISH I could afford to have his work. But at 20k for a simple couch, mere mortals cannot afford his work.

http://domesticarchitecture.com/

I asked one of my friends who spent probably about 2mil for their remodel, if she talked to him. It is the type of architecture that would interest her. She said even she could not afford him. What I am trying to say is that like everything else in life, there are people working at many different price points. Design/architecture is no different. You have to find good people at your own price point.

Here are a few other contruction companies in Seattle that do good work.
    http://www.schuchartdow.com/
    http://www.dovetailinc.net/
    http://www.loganshammer.com/

Luxe interior magazines for Pacific NW also feature nice homes that are multi mil in price point. They often list architects/construction companies. You can get the magazine at Barns and Noble in Seattle (?Port Towsend).

I wish you the best.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Go 4 IT !!!!!!

Igloo,
    It will be amazing. I love the space you are planning.
    Simply beautiful.

"Gray is my new favorite color," he declares, pleased with the newly painted walls that are a deep, warm gray called Abbey Walls from his own recently launched, high-quality, and very expensive line of paints ($125 per gallon)." From Westchester Magazine Jan 2010

You can e-mail your floor plan to Ballpark@peacockhome.com
    And tell him your zipcode. They will tell you what a
    a Peacock Bespoke kitchen will cost. GO FOR IT!!! I am
    dying to see the process on GW. It would be so much fun.
    http://www.peacockcabinetry.com/index2.html

And Melissa this is for you. You made me laugh. thank you.
    lol

This is a trained Peacock in an English kitchen who
    lives with his new family. He is tame and enjoys being
    in the kitchen. Totally silly.

The Real cute Mr. Peacock doing his designs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Top-shelf kitchens: English designer offers models for millionaires who still cook their own meals

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

***When you do a nonlocal peacock kitchen you use your own contractor to gut and prepare the space so we would be using local folks for the majority of the work. But there is no way I'm taking on the hiring of all of those folks myself, including cabinet makers.***

Are there Amish cabinetmakers near you? Have you looked at, say, Mullet Cabinet? They have a huge range of styles--they basically do whatever style you want--and, of course, THE CABINETMAKERS ARE AMISH, with all the woodworking skills that implies. We got an amazing quote from them for a Mission-style kitchen. And for an additional $2500 or so, they will drive some craftsmen over to us (we are hours from them) to take all the measurements, and then drive the cabinets here when they're done, along with some cabinet and countertop installers to install it all. You can also use your own contractors as the installers, but I like to put any given project entirely in one party's hands so that if anything goes wrong, it's clearly on them to fix it.

Anyway, just a thought. I know there are Amish cabinet makers both east and west of the Mississipi, and the quote Mullet Cabinet they gave us was amazing. And it's made in the USA.

Links to a few:
    http://www.mulletcabinet.com/
    http://www.branchhill.com/cabinetry/kitchen/index.html
    http://www.amishwoodworking.com/pg/customkitchen.html

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Igloo, if I have learned anything about you all these years on the KF, I know this: For you -- highly-regarded, excellent quality, stunning design is important. IMHO, if you can afford to do a Christopher Peacock kitchen, I say go for it!!!!

Without a doubt I've been drooling over many of the alternative designer firm choices, other GW members have shared with you. Personally, I'd give my eye teeth, for example, at a shot at a Mick di Giulio, Clive Christian or David T. Smith kitchen! But, if money were not a concern? And if I had it to do only one more time? Shucks, with my century old house, I'd be on the hook with Mr. Peacock in a New York minute! So, with your marvelous Vic treasure in Port Townsend, my advice would be that you can't go wrong with the well-established standard in this category. That would be Mr. Peacock, I think. Go for it!

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Oh I hope you work with Peacock. It would be wonderful if you would tell us about it and show the picture progress. I was impressed with how simply elegant his own kitchen looked in the Traditional Home Magazine. You would have a great kitchen in your lovely home. The nearest Peacock kitchen to me is in Naples and it is close to 4 mil in a 9 thousand square home. It isn't my neighborhood! Good article Boxerpup. It would be a dream come true for me which I know isn't happening so if you can do it I'm happy for you. Just do it!

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

I think, deep in your heart (like all of us) you'd prefer to do it yourself as you have sinks and all and a layout in your head. But you also seem to feel that it would become all consuming, as large projects do. So in principle, you think about just hiring someone to do it but then it's like, what will that involve and will it be worse? So it's only natural to want to stick with what you know but think about more service. In the end, though I agree with marthavila.

• riverspots
    13 years ago

So... this thread finally drove me to the Peacock cabinet website. This may be blasphemy, but I was sort of disappointed. The kitchens were all beautiful and beautifully finished-but, short of color and hardware, they all looked basically the same to me. Wall-to-wall cabinets, uppers and lowers, with a big island/table in the center. I wonder what some of his older designs were like-if they showed more variation or use of unfitted antique cabinets, etc. Maybe a cabinet designer who does restoration/reproduction work for museums or National Landmarks would be better at giving your house a vintage look kitchen.

Nice, wood stove, btw. Can it be fixed?

• jeanteach
    13 years ago

I'm a little late to this discussion but had to chime in, not because I have a Peacock kitchen but because I had to opportunity to cook in one for a week at Chris Peacock's house in Cape Cod that we rented. Of course it was FABULOUS! In addition, Chris Peacock is incredibly nice. I never met him in person but we spoke on the phone a few times and he was gracious and charming. The cabinets were just gorgeous. I felt like a queen for a week! Good luck!

• User
    13 years ago

igloochic-

First, I have no doubt that you will end up with something that suits your needs and is design appropriate for your home, you are simply too strong willed to accept anything less (that's a good thing IMO). WRT the Peacock kitchens, yes, they are appropriate to your home's period, but they seem so staid and bland. I understand about wanting to turn the project over to a trusted professional, but I agree with kaismom and rococogurl and think you can get a more stunning kitchen that says "igloochic" instead of "C. Peacock" or "C. Christian" by using thoughtfully chosen and well vetted professionals.

JMHO, and I am neither a designer nor an expert, just someone who thinks you can get more individuality and character in a space using less than nationally known resources.

Good luck-

sandyponder

• riverspots
    13 years ago

I don't know much about Victorian architecture. I suspect, though, that like Colonial architecture, different locales had their own particular style within the genre. There definitely was a distinct Boston, Newport, Philadelphia, and Salem style within the Federal style. I suspect that the same holds for San Francisco, Seattle, and Port Townsend in the Victorian age. It might be more satisfying to incorporate the local architectural details when renovating. I would think the local house museums or old house buffs would be able to help identifying ones appropriate for your house. There is probably even a lumber mill around that still has the old templates for moldings.

Do you know anything about the history of the house or its early owners? Anything quirky that might be fun to pay homage to in a small way?