SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahmnj

Kitchen Renovation Design - Struggling!

Aletia Morgan
12 years ago

Hi - we recently bought a 1980 contemporary home in a gorgeous location - knowing that the original kitchen was in need of some significant updating. Had european-style laminate cabs/countertop, but with really high-end appliances for the time - Thermador double oven/microwave, JennAir downdraft, etc. I want to fit the level of what was there, while bringing it up to date.

Here's the look now:

From kitchen

and

From kitchen

Here's the main LR/DR area, to get a sense of the look:

From kitchen

and

From kitchen

Here's the layout that has been proposed:

From kitchen

Note - this involves relocating the current laundry and powder room into the open pantry area, and then recessing the refrigerator/ovens/pantry cabinet back into that area. Not inexpensive, but the room is pretty narrow right now, and the island provides most of the counter space - so we don't want to lose that (and there's not much space for a G-shaped peninsula).

Finally, here is our most recent draft of a cabinet layout:

From kitchen

So does the general layout make sense? I'd appreciate suggestions, and whether there's a better (cheaper) alternative beyond relocating the Laundry/Powder Room.

Our goals have been to open it up a bit, get the refrigerator out of the way. It's the first thing you almost run into as you enter the kitchen now, and it's too close to the island. Hence the idea of recessing it on the other wall. It's a challenge, since there are only 3 sides to the room, with the sliding door and windows around the whole end of the room.

And the next big question is style. Yes, the wallpaper will go. We have been encouraged to make the place "warmer". It has been suggested that we replace the tile in the kitchen with wood (Somerset's Maple Tumbleweed, which is a medium stain). One thing that I've liked is the consistent look throughout the main part of the house. So, do we then replace ALL the tile? It's 30 years old, showing some wear, but I do think it fits the style of the house (particularly the fireplace).

I don't want the kitchen to look like it's not part of the same house - and taking the wood all the way would help with that. But would it fit the house?

Thanks so much -

Aletia

Comments (22)