SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ikvinder_brar

Kitchen Design for Home Renovation. Need help.

I B
3 years ago

Hi all,

I've tried to read up on different discussions on this site to figure out the best practices for kitchen layouts. We are a family of three (daughter is almost 2) and we just bought an older Tudor style home. We wanted to update the layout of the house to be more open concept and increase the flow from different spaces. I've included a layout of the current kitchen space and what our current plan is. Any feedback. We are trying to avoid or minimize external structural changes. We don't really use a formal dining area much so the plan is to expand the kitchen into the dining area. Sorry I didn't included exact measurements and the drawing isn't exactly to scale because I don't have access to the plans yet and we don't have access to the house for a few more weeks.

The after drawing is more to scale:

As we are willing to move plumbing and electrical I'm open to suggestions. (we are above crawl space so we can get to most things). We tried to follow the ice, water, stone, fire approach for the kitchen.

My concerns are:

1) we have always wanted a breakfast nook but would the space be better suited by a table instead?

2) Did we leave enough space around the island?

3) Is the fridge too far away or is there a better spot?

4) Any way we can avoid moving the post with a different layout? At this point we are ok with adding a beam but if we can avoid the extra cost we are open to ideas.

Anything else anyone can think of please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (11)