SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

How to handle too wide spacing of can lights above table (xpost

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

Electrical roughin was completed on my kitchen today. We had a problem with spacing of can lights above the kitchen table area. I wanted a center light fixture with 4 can lights over the table.

We were able to place the center light box exactly where I wanted it, but because of lots of joists in this area I had to space the can lights wider than I wanted. They are 40" (center to center). I'm assuming I'll get a 42" wide table, so the can lights will be sitting right on the outside edges of my table. Here is a photo:

{{!gwi}}

the angle is a little weird so the space actually looks a lot bigger than it is (I think). If we come in to the next joist bay, we end up at about 22" apart which seems too close.

Anyway, the purpose of the can lights is to add task lighting at the table for kids doing homework, DH and I reading the paper, etc.

Does anyone know of a trim option that will help the light cover the table adequately and still provide good task lighting?

I read on another post about using those eyeball lights (directional) and pointing them to the opposite end of the table so that the light washes across the table instead of straight down so the light appears to all come from the main center light. This would help the light cover the whole table, but would the light still be strong enough to be task lighting?

Anita

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES