SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Can light spacing issues (xpost to kitchens)

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

Electrical roughin was completed on my kitchen today. We had a problem with spacing of can lights above the kitchen table area. I wanted a center light fixture with 4 can lights over the table. I'd hoped for about a 36" spread (on center) between the can lights.

Because of how the joists line up (or rather, don't line up) in the main part and the addition, we had the option of placing the can lights 40" on center or about 21". Under pressure to make a decision, I went with the 40" and am now worried about it. But 21" seemed way too close together...

I'm assuming I'll get a 42" wide table, so the can lights will be sitting right on the outside edges of my table. Here is a photo:

{{!gwi}}

the angle is a little weird so the space actually looks a lot bigger than it is (I think).

Anyway, the purpose of the can lights is to add task lighting at the table for kids doing homework, DH and I reading the paper, etc.

Does anyone know of a trim option that will help the light cover the table adequately and still provide good task lighting?

I read on another post about using those eyeball lights (directional) and pointing them to the opposite end of the table so that the light washes across the table instead of straight down so the light appears to all come from the main center light. This would help the light cover the whole table, but would the light still be strong enough to be task lighting?

Anita

Comment