SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gglks

would this bother you?

gglks
15 years ago

i am embarrassed to actually admit to this but it is really bothering me! we had a jenn-air wall oven installed and we wanted a convection microwave installed right above it. the microwave went in today (bosch) and the light on the clock is yellow. the clock on the oven right below is blue. it is kind of driving me crazy!!! believe it or not, my dh seems bothered by it too!

please just tell me i'm hyper-sensitive to this whole kitchen process right now?!@#%???!@#%!

we were also told by our kd that bosch and thermador are the same maker but i believe the thermador has blue print. do i dare ask my kd (who got us the bosch) to exchange it for a thermador?????????

Comments (56)

• User
    15 years ago

all the clocks in our kitchen match, so yes it would be a bother especially since they're so close to each other. I would exchange it, but would not say it's because of the light, they may charge you a hefty restocking fee.

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

oh please stop!!!!!!!!! my cheeks hurt from laughing right now! at least i'm finding humor in this whole process!!!

i am glad to hear that i haven't completely lost it and this would also bother others!!!!

• Related Discussions

Would this bother you?

Q

Comments (38)
    Thanks jwillis96. Now I have learned there were 3 problems....bad thermostat wiring, leaks at connection between coil and furnace and at coil and plenum (?) duct. Not giant leaks, but hard to miss if you just hold your hand there for a second...and burned grass where they drained the water heater. At least they are fixing their mistakes. snidley...would you give them a recommendation?? :) None of these are earth shaking, they all seem to be a lack of care and concern. I'm not even thinking they were too lazy for the wire now, I think it was just that they didn't THINK about it and didn't double check it...(doing it by habit I think) Salesman claims he is waiting to hear from mgt about the stat. Hopefully he mentions the air leakage to them as well. (irony...air sealing was part of the package!) I'm not expecting good results at this point. I wonder if the installers will hear about their mistakes? Considering buying the next better stat on ebay and selling this one on there. Considered the IAQ, but not sure how useful it would be since I don't have variable speed, and it is more $$ and different wiring. Did I ever post the grass photo? may as well, the biggest parts of the 2 brown spots are "more" dead now, but the edges near the bottom look a little better. Hubby is a bit anal about keeping grass nice so...
    ...See More

Empty Space Behind Cabinets / Appliances - Would it bother you?

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks for the idea! An open cabinet actually wouldn't work b/c the 9 inch is in the middle of the run - next to corner cab. It is taking the place of what was going to be a 3 inch filler. Looks like it might be good for cookie sheets or something though! On the bottom, I just ahve my blind base to deal with (which is getting a better door front now) - and the 4 inches of empty space in the corner - blocked by blind base and dishwasher - so only I will know it's totally vacant space. Oh well! I hope I love it all when it's done!
    ...See More

Would this bother you?

Q

Comments (37)
    Oh, Cynic, don't be ridiculous! Of course I didn't see it as a "transaction", what a crazy thing to say. You may be right that the girl feels more comfortable corresponding with her Uncle (DH) and I did call her "my husband's niece" but never in a million years would DH even think to send a gift. And never is he the one invited to the wedding showers and baby showers for his siblings children and their spouses--it's always ONLY me. Being that we live at least 5 hours away and I work a great deal I am rarely able to attend, but I always send something. As Cheri2008 stated, it seems they can send out wedding invites, shower invites and baby announcements (which to me is akin to asking for a gift) but it's too difficult to send a proper thank you? I guess I may have to change my expectations when people start using facebook to invite others to a wedding.
    ...See More

Would This Bother You?

Q

Comments (9)
    It would bother me if my husband did that. But it very much looks as though your husband is working very hard physically and is exhausted. Been there, done that. I worked outdoors and found the hot sunny time of year particularly difficult. Do you have a pool? I was thinking about this situation on my dog walk the other day and thought how a bathe in a pool when he gets home from work might be an excellent way of winding down and recovering. The trouble with a couch is that they won't let you go. They make one want to stay. So my suggestion is to head to your pool with some refreshing drinks and something tasty to eat. After an hour or so he might be a new man. I think let him find his own 'timing', don't ruin it by telling how long it will take him. He'll need the mental relaxation as well. Good luck and I hope it works.
    ...See More
  • oruboris
    15 years ago

Find a friend with theatical connections, ask them to get you a tiny bit of blue [very dark blue] gel for a spotlight.

Tape it over the yellow display.

Will it turn it blue? No. But it will help.

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

on a serious note, what possible reason can i use for an exchange?????

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Yellow + Blue = Green (or blocked out so much you can't tell what color it is 'cause it's dark blue!)

:-)

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Wait...blue gel over the yellow & yellow gel over the blue....presto! Green all around!

I'm not sure you'll get this one unless you have a KD who would also be bothered by it....then s/he may understand. Hmm....are you absolutely sure it's working correctly????.....

Another idea....have you checked the manuals...perhaps you can just turn one off. My ovens have an on/off clock display.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

perhaps you can pull up the specs for both and find a feature in the one you'd replace it with that you just have to have. Otherwise... I'd just tell her the truth. After all... she does this for a living and I'm sure has heard all sorts or things crazier then this.

• User
    15 years ago

on a serious note, what possible reason can i use for an exchange????

Not to be preachy, but why not start with the truth and not bother inventing another reason. I understand you might feel it's kind of trivial, but hey, its your kitchen and your dime, so pay and get what makes you happy.

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sheilaaus---you are right. and i actually have been a VERY easy customer up until this point. i checked the manual to see if there was a way to change the display and didn't find anything but maybe i can just turn the clock off...thanks buehl.........i'll look again

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

so no such luck....i was able to turn the clock off which helped, but the whole display area is emitting a light yellow rectangle. i guess i will sleep on it and see how i feel tommorrow.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

You should be able to turn off the light. When my in-laws visited last summer (from the UK) they chastised me no end because of all the clocks I had on my appliances. I had to listen to some very long lectures about how much energy it wastes leaving them on etc......and they went around turning them all off! Sorry, don't know how they did it, though.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

OMG...I love it! I've met my match..I'm crazy psycho over details and this wouldn't bother me....I find that I obsess about a lot of little things at first...then I move on...you will too...

• User
    15 years ago

Most appliance stores do now allow returns for buyers remorse (of unused appliances) without you paying for the return delivery plus a very very big restocking fee. If there is a problem with the appliance working after you've used it, it's covered under a manufacturer's warranty. The color of LED isn't a warranty issue either. There is no legitimate reason for return.

I'd really think hard if this issue is annoying enough for you to pay several hundreds of dollars for the privilege of changing your mind, plus the difference in cost for any new appliance. And that's the best case scenario with you returning brand new completely unused appliances with all of the packaging and service manuals.

It's just not that big a deal. The important part is that the appliances actually work and that they are better than the old ones you replaced.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I'm actually with live wire on this...it's not that big of a deal, but if it is to you, you don't need to invent a reason, but you do need to pay the piper for not doing your homework on the issue..it's not your KD's fault at all. Each appliance comes with specs. If this was such a big deal, the specs should have alerted you to the issue.

That's not to say I haven't made issues of little things that would bother no one else...but when I did, I took the blame and paid the expense myself, with no request for anyone else to foot the bill.

• jane__ny
    15 years ago

I would say it doesn't work properly. Tell them something is wrong with it and you want a new oven. Tell them its defective. If it were me, I'd take the chance of 'burning in *ell' to get a different oven. Tell them when you run it you see yellow sparks.

Sorry, but that would drive me crazy and I'd say 'whatever' to change it.

Jane

• igloochic
    15 years ago

Jane, you'd lie so that the manufacturer had to take the appliance back on their own dime, just because YOU don't like a light?

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok igloochic and others, i'll throw a wrench in the plan....i THOUGHT i did my homework. i was told bosch is the same as thermador (maybe inaccurate) and the thermador has blue lighting. also, on the bosch website, if you click on appearance and features, there is an enlarged picture of "easy to read LCD panel" and the light is BLUE!!!!

do you think that in itself if enough to exchange for a different one?

• talley_sue_nyc
    15 years ago

You can't just say "it doesn't work" or "it throws off yellow sparks."

They'll check it, or try to repair it.

I think this is the sort of thing that I'd find a way to live with. In all honestly, once I'm actually living in my kitchen, and not looking at is as a piece of artwork, I probably wouldn't notice it.

But I do think, gglks, that if you truly noticed the color of the light, and if the pic on the website differs from what you got, it's worth an enquiry.

• amck2
    15 years ago

I returned (before using)a coffee maker that had a big blue lit display on it. Seriously, it was the first thing the eye was drawn to when you walked in the kitchen. From the picture on the box you couldn't have known how neon bright it was in person.

It may be an embarassing pain in the butt to deal with now, but I think you should try to exchange the stove. I would tell the truth about why. Some folks may think its obsessive, but if you've been easy to deal with through the whole process, I wouldn't worry too much about that.

We're nearly a year out from completing our kitchen - ours went smoothly except for a faulty DW installation - and I'll bet the people I was so scared to impose upon/offend regarding having it repaired have all moved onto other things and wouldn't even remember it now. You'll be staring at those lights for years and years...

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I would ask the KD and/or appliance dealer if they are different. At the least, call Thermador/Bosch and find out if you can change the light or if the Thermador is in fact blue.

We were deciding on DWs when we discovered that the Thermador panel ready model was less than the Bosch. I was told the indicator light on the Thermador was blue like all the other Thermador lights. Cool -- would go with my blue cabinet wall and the blue trim in my backsplash. DWs came and the lights were red, just like the Bosch. I did ask about it, but I was told there was no way to change it and that's what they all were. So I have red. But I'm thinking that if I put blue gell over them, I would have purple! Teehee

If you bought from pictures that showed blue lights, I would definitely ask about it, If you didn't get to see the real thing powered up and what you saw and were told was that it was the same, I think you have a reason to ask that it be changed.

It is a little thing, and I don't know how much it would bother me or how much I would push for a change myself. I think it's one of those things you have to see in place to know whether the placement and prominence, etc. make it a big issue. Bottom line though is that if it really bothers you, a micro is not such a big thing that you shouldn't be able to get it right or that it should be something that makes you unhappy with a new kitchen.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

• weissman
    15 years ago

Worst case, buy the MW you want and sell the one you have on craigslist - lying to the manufacturer about your mistake is not right. On the other hand, if the salesman or KD assured you that it had a blue light then it's reasonable to take up the issue with them.

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ci lantro....is that yours or from the website? if you went on the website and didn't enlarge the photo, rather just clicked on features/appearance....they show about 3 different "features"....one of which is a zoomed in picure of the dislay panel, which is blue and also says "Bosch microwaves have a stylish scroll display which adds a new level of convenience and sophistication to your cooking. "

Here is a link that might be useful: blue light on microwave display

• pecanpie
    15 years ago

No, it wouldn't bother me. I had to walk to the kitchen to see if my lights matched. Whaddya know, they do.

Your reliance on the Bosch website showing the blue lighting should be enough to get the appliance exchanged if there's not a way to change the lighting color. You should NOT be charged a re-stocking fee, as your were relying on their company 'specs' for your purchase.

And as for you, Jane, it's one thing to be TKO and another to be TKO and dishonest. For shame!

• lowspark
    15 years ago

I don't know if this would be the case for you or not, but there were several little things that bothered me when my kitchen was brand new, and some of them either could not be fixed or were going to cost $$$$ to fix. I decided to live with them. Right now I couldn't even name more than one of them.

You're in the mode right now of scrutinizing every item because it's all new. Once you start just using the kitchen on a day to day basis, most of the details are going to fade into the background and you just won't notice them anymore.

In any case, I agree that lying to get a free exchange is not right. If you're going to go ahead and switch them out, pay the due. Just one caveat, make sure the oven you're switching to is one you really want. Because in the long run, that light is nothing compared to the functionality of the appliance.

• beachmusic
    15 years ago

Why all the fuss? You bought something you don't like. Return it. You don't have to make up a story because the product doesn't please you aesthetically. Why lie? It's your space and your eye, that's all the reason you need. Yes, it's too bad it's not something that occured to you before purchase, but after all the planning that goes into a new kitchen if that detail really bothers you, address it now. If there is a re-stocking fee, pay it, or use the store credit toward a new MW. Did you purchase the product yourself or through your KD?

• Buehl
    15 years ago

BeachMusic, most places now charge a hefty restocking fee (usually 10% - 20% of the cost of the item) regardless of whether you ask for your money back or get a store credit.

Did some research on your MW. From your previous link I assume it is the HMB8050...

From the Use & Care Manual (Models HMB8050/HMB8060/HMB8020), page 15, Settings option 9:

Clock ON/OFF
    Clock display can be turned off.
    (followed by the steps to turn it off)

http://www.bshextranet.com/files/techtoolbox/HMB80xx_engl_sp_fr_2008_C&U.pdf

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

Based on the fact that their website shows a blue display, but what you got is a yellow display, I wouldn't see why you can't tell your KD that you didn't get what you ordered. You should not have to pay any kind of restocking fee, and should get what you actually ordered based on information provided on the manufacturers website. I'd print out a pic of the one on the website, ask the KD to come by, point out the difference - and ask her to take care of it.

Who cares what she thinks? I am sure that you're not the first person she's dealt with who is obsessing over a small thing that she thinks is ridiculous. And who knows? She may even agree with you!

It's worth a shot. Otherwise, you and hubby will certainly be regretful every time you look in your kitchen over the years, and your eyes zoom in to that darned yellow blue thing.

Good luck! Let us know how successful you are!

Boxie

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buehl, you are awesome!!! thanks for thinking of me! turning the clock off did help, but there is a yellow rectangle still emitting! it looks ok in the day but it really stands out at night.

we bought the microwave thru our kd as he is a "bosch" dealer. i emailed him with my concern and told him it looks different than the website. my gc said he actually has never seen an appliance with a yellow light.

we will see what happens i guess!!! worst case senario, i live with it but i'm thinking something can be worked out. i know that it really isn't a big deal and i'm sure i'll forget about it over time. but when you are in the throws of every detail, no matter how minor, you really want to be happy with everything.....especially one that seems so easily fixable!

thanks again for your help.....OT how are you liking your cabinets? i also got omega/dynasty and i rememeber checking in with you awhile back.....i'm very pleased with mine, although only from an aesthetic standpoint as i am not fully using our kitchen yet....

• bayareafrancy
    15 years ago

I"m not sure about that Bosch website. On my monitor it doesn't look blue, rather, it looks like a black and white image (so it could actually be yellow). Others?

But I agree with beachmusic. It is YOUR kitchen. I don't think anyone else should be telling YOU whether it is a "big deal" or not. That is YOUR call. What isn't your call, alas, is whether you need to pay restocking fees, etc. to change it. Maybe you do. And only YOU can decide what it is worth to you to change the yellow light.

Lies are unacceptable. But your aesthetic judgements are your own. Of course, it is often interesting and fun to see if any other TKOers agree or disagree with one's kitchen obsessions! But I respectfully disagree with liveoak for telling you it is "no big deal." We can disagree with your aesthetic judgements, but it IS a big deal to you.

Soooooo, what is it worth to you?

:-)

• kompy
    15 years ago

LOL, as a KD and I am now adding this to the list of details/disclaimers that I must tell people. It never occurred to me actually. I'll add it right under the person that insisted that their black sink (SS faucet) should've been installed with a black basket strainer instead of the chrome one I put in. But that's another story. Excuse me while I run around the room and pull my hair out now. :-)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I guess it's something we should all take into account when people ask if they need to get the same brand of appliance when stacking them...

On the website page 2 of the 3 pictures show yellow lights, and like bayareafrancy, I'm not seeing 'appliance-light blue' in the closeup, but white in a black and white photo.

Still, it's worth asking about, just as you're doing, because if it bugs you, it bugs you, and hassle now is worth fixing a long term regret. The selling on craigslist isn't a bad idea, but only, of course, if you're SURE you can get more than you can returning it with the restocking fee subtracted.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

gglks, the Bosch site you linked to shows what looks greenish blue in the center, but the top and bottom pictures where the Bosch name is visible show yellow lights. I would say they cause some confusion on this by posting what appers to be a Thermador photo in the closup of the display. The yellow is probably easy to read, but I don't think I'd like it even if it dis match the other lights i my kitchen.

BTW, my oven lights are green and the micro is black and grey. My fridge drawers have a red temp readout and the DWs have red floor lights. None of it has ever bothered me, but I don't have any of them stacked on top of each other or right next to each other.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

To answer your first question, no, it wouldn't bother me. I also had to walk back into the kitchen and check my displays. Guess what, I have three green, and my MW is blue! Never ever noticed the difference before... but of course, now when I walk in!!! :>)

I guess before you ask for an exchange, I'd be darned sure the Thermador DID have a blue display!

You are probably hyper-sensitive right now.

Being a built in- I would expect a re-stocking charge- would you want to pay full-price for a return?

Up to you and DH to decide, if the light colour issue is worth the extra cost. Wouldn't be for me.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

What Jenn-Air oven do you have? Maybe that has a true On/Off option... I turned my clock off on my ovens to check it out and when the clock is off, the display area is empty...no rectangle or other light showing. My ovens, though, are GE Profile.

I also have different colored displays, but none of the appliances w/clocks or displays are next to each other, so it doesn't bother me.

As to my cabinets...I love my cabinets! The only negative comment is that the shelves in the 6" filler pullouts are not adjustable. Other than that, I love the wood, finish (stain & glaze), and the detailing...the all look wonderful! The soft-close drawers are wonderful. I didn't get the soft-close door upgrade, but I did buy dampers that we will eventually install ourselves. I highly recommend the Omega Dynasty (and probably Omega Custom) to anyone.

Enjoy your cabinets and I hope you find a resolution to the light problem.

• neverdunn
    15 years ago

Does the stainless finish of both the Microwave and Oven match?

Some are little bluer/yellower than others from one manufacturer to the next.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I have a similar situation. I feel your pain.

Ours involves two Bosch units, a built-in oven and an over the range microwave.

The microwave is a nice subtle blue which I love. The oven has a large golden yellow display. It looks just terrible.

We've had the oven since Jan so there's no chance of returning it, but I sure would like to figure out how to change it to blue or turn it off when I am not cooking.

At night the yellow oven display practically lights up the room! :-)

Here is what I'm talking about...
    {{!gwi}}

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

jodi,

i'm soooooo glad someone else knows what i'm talking about first hand!!!! i wonder why your bosch microwave has a blue light and mine is yellow? and your right about it being like a night light.

i am going to try to return mine since it has never been used. i'm sure i can just at what cost as everyone has stated.

it's not the end of the world, but boy, when you spend so much time on details, this one ends up bugging me!

by the way, your kitchen does look great though!!!

• brody_miasmom
    15 years ago

Not that this helps, but this link contains a review of Bosch appliances and one of the dislikes is the varying colors of the displays on various Bosch appliances. Who knew?

Here is a link that might be useful: Review of Bosch Appliances

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

Well, now that you mention it..... I just went upstairs to check and MY oven clock is BLUE and my microwave clock is GREEN! ANd , yes, it DOES look terrible! Luckily, they are miles apart and the microwave will go inside its own cabinet with a door if the cabinet company ever gets its act together. But what are the appliance companies thinking? They should just decide on one color and stick to it.
    Honestly, though, for those of you with clashing appliances right on top of each other, i am sure you are the only ones who will notice that. Or maybe you can get someone to rewire it.

Good luck,

LC

• igloochic
    15 years ago

gglks, I'm glad you discussed it with your KD :) And that you did so honestly, verses claiming a default. I'd agree that the website is confusing. I see a black and white in the pic you refer to...but must be honest and say it's more light blue than white...I'd be confused as well :)

I understand obsessing. I've done so much of that and it's cost sooooo much LOL I just wanted to give you a perspective on the issue, that to me it wouldn't be a big deal (on the kitchen above I don't notice it...It looks to be a gorgeous kitchen with appliances) but if it's bothering you...well than it is a big deal :) Just be fair to the seller/KD about the issue. I would never lie to get a refund etc. Little ethics are as big as big ethics :oP If you lie about the little things, who knows what you'd do as VP!

Oh wait that's another issue :oP

• noodlesportland
    15 years ago

I was doing one of my weird 2:30am up checking things last night and of course walked into the kitchen and thought of your post. Yep-blue on the double Dakor ovens and an icky yellow-green on the Sharp microwave. Thank goodness that they are far away because if they were stacked it would bother me tons. Hope you get yours changed.
    jodi-nice kitchen

• positano
    15 years ago

Wow, these are things I never thought about. I have ordered all my appliances, but they haven't arrived yet. I purchased the same Bosch microwave as Jodi and the Bosch all stainless,dual fuel slide in. I did a quick search to see if the displays match up, and it seems like they do. I don't understand why one company would choose so many different colors for their appliances.

OT- Jodi, How do you like the microwave? Your kitchen is so beautiful, I'm sure your the only one that will notice the displays. Everyone is looking at the backsplash!!

• velodoug
    15 years ago

I hate to admit it, but different colored displays would bother me too. We have a black-on-gray LCD display on the little Sharp MW and a blue display on the little DeLonghi TO and even that would annoy me if they weren't across the room from each other. (We have no displays on the range, the fridge or the paneled DW.)

• gglks
    Original Author
    15 years ago

i'm actually shocked at home much response this little item has gotten!!!!!! and igloochic, you are right about the lying. the only reason i would have is because i'm a bit ashamed that i could sound this shallow! but really, we are spending soooooooo much money, and i seems like an unused microwave shouldn't be too hard to exchange. and who cares if i sound shallow!!!! it's my house and my money i'm spending!

for all of you who i may have planted a bug in your ear with yet another thing to analysis your kitchens.....i think if the appliance aren't right next to each other, it is a complete non-issue. and honestly, i walked in my kitchen this morning and it is starting to bug me less.

i will keep all posted as to my kd's response!!!

i am curious though, KOMPY, as a KD, do you think we are all just buggy or do you think ever detail counts?

• lacuisine
    15 years ago

I live in Chicago where we have a wonderful appliance store called ABT which has national recognition for its stellar customer service. I am fairly certain that they would not bat an eyelash if someone returned something just because they don't like how it looks in their kitchen. However, if it was already installed, (not just plugged in) that might be a different story. Our hood has signs everywhere on it that say "CHECK before installation - hoods are not returnable once installed." Which makes sense. I would ask about the return / exchange policy.
    I guess this is one of those millions of little details that we are supposed to miraculously know about before embarking on a kitchen project. You may not even notice it down the road. I totally know how you feel because everyone knows i have had problem after problem in my K remodel, (3 months and counting for a 2 week job!) I am not trying to minimize your disappointment, but just try to take your mind off of it by taking a walk in this lovely fall weather, or stuffing yourself with decadent baked goods, or reading up on the latest in Darfur. Usually works for me.

good wishes,
    LC

• idrive65
    15 years ago

jodi, with that backsplash and those cabinets, I'd NEVER notice mismatched your LEDs! What a beautiful kitchen you have.

• kompy
    15 years ago

gglks,
    No I don't think you guys are buggy. Why do you think I come here? I learn just as much from you. :-) Details are very important in kitchens....but there are SO many. It can be easy to let a few slip through the cracks. Many of my clients, after working with them for a few weeks, are in awe at the amount of detail we must go over.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments on my kitchen. I just keep telling myself that the yellow display goes well with the backsplash. :-)

• igloochic
    15 years ago

gg...good design is NEVER Shallow! heh heh Believe me, I've made mistakes, and they probably seem pretty minor in the end run...but I've still had them re-done so they'd make me happy. :o)

One of my favorite moments in this remodel is walking up the stairs to check on the closet install guys. I hear one say "Dude, she won't notice it" (The guy hadn't been to the house yet). The other guy, who'd been out twice because of mistakes with the cabinets said "Dude! She notices EVERYTHING!!" I nearly died holding in the laughter :o)