SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimskitchen_gw

Why are all the local KDs down on painted cabinets?

aimskitchen
11 years ago

I've posted several questions on this forum, and folks gave very helpful answers, some of which I still need to respond to - thank you. Several suggested painted cabintry to achieve the vintage, eclectic look that would compliment both my collections, our tiny L-shaped kitchen with no natural light, and the quartersawn oak buffet in the adjoining dining room. I love painted cabinetry, but my husband is convinced it will look terrible quickly, and every KD we've spoken to so far has tried to dissuade me from using painted wood, saying that it's not good for an active family.

We have 5 kids still at home, four of them active but not destructive boys, and have managed to keep a fair number of antiques and oriental rugs in decent condition. That said, several of the kids are budding chefs and all help with clean-up, so the kitchen gets a vigorous workout.

So what is the deal with painted wood? Is it really that hard to keep looking nice? Does it wear terribly? I'd love to hear of personal experiences. I'm considering white, cream-tones or a grayish color as options if we go with painted cabinetry, if that matters. Right now it's circa 1980 pickled oak, and I will be very happy to see it go.

Comments (19)