SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
efc54

where do you like your microwave?

efc54
13 years ago

We are in the planning stages of a complete kitchen remodel, and I wanted to ask the brilliant GWers where you like to have your microwave. Ours is currently in a shelf next to the wall ovens. Do people like having it in an island? Near the fridge? Near a sink? Up high, on the counter? (on a boat, with a goat?) TIA!

Comments (36)

• plllog
    13 years ago

I like mine near the fridge, but within the work area. It's mostly for zapping cereal or sandwiches, but sometimes for melting butter or other cooking tasks. Counter height. Microwaves can be deceptive, and the dish might feel cool until you pick it up. I don't want to be reaching it up or down. Just under or over counter height would be fine (MW drawer or raised shelf), but I don't like reach up or reach down.

• research_queen
    13 years ago

mine is currently next to the fridge, at cabinet height. It is way too high and would not recommend that height. For my new kitchen, I purchased a trim kit to have it "built-in" and it will be closer to counter height.

• Related Discussions

Do you like your Electrolux ICON convection microwave?

Q

Comments (1)
    bump
    ...See More

Where do you like your baking center?

Q

Comments (5)
    My baking/mixing area is opposite the sink. At first I went crazy running back and forth the 7 feet to the sink after the 2T. of water I always needed and thought it would have been good to have had a prep sink on that side of the room. and then I thought, "You big sissy! You are not crippled yet. Walk those 7 steps after it. It's not like you'll be making 100 trips!". And so I got over it. So if you do move everything there- where is your water? Water is pretty easy to wipe up.
    ...See More

Poll: How often do you use your microwave?

Q

Comments (63)
    At my old house, the MW was located at about eye level for me. It was crazy--I had to use a stepstool to see if things were turning or overcooking. I am 5'2". At my next house I purchased the undercounter Sharp drawer MW which I loved and all the tall people in my family thought was crazy too low. See picture. Our current rental has the MW about neck level and I admit it works great. I use it every day to re-heat my tea/coffee. I actually use it to heat the water too since I can't find my kettle. I used to have a instant hot and got spoiled by that. Here in the rental we use a tempered glass measuring cup and heat 2c of water then use that as a "pot". It kind of takes away from the whole "ceremony" of making tea and enjoying it but we now have simple uses created from necessity. And of course....the old makin' bacon that everyone has mentioned. My son is always making bacon in the MW. I also am a good leftover eater. I love to reheat a serving of spaghetti squash or something from last night's dinner. I don't like cold food, so almost all of my food is heated. I considered putting the MW in the walk-in pantry at the house we are building, but ended up finding a place for it in the island (drawer MW again).
    ...See More

Do you love your microwave/convection oven?

Q

Comments (15)
    We're on our 3rd Panasonic microwave/convection oven over the past 30 years. It is a good size and I use the microwave part more, but really find the convection part handy when I do need a second oven. Also the combo function works well for quickly heating something without the typical microwave sogginess that sometimes goes with it for pizza or a wrap etc. Ours have lasted quite long although we only got about 13 years from the last one (first one was 19 years). So now we have a new one which is almost the very same as the last only in stainless steel and slightly different controls. They come in white and black also I believe.
    ...See More
  • friedajune
    13 years ago

Mine is on a shelf in my pantry. I am not a frequent microwave user, and this placement is ideal for me. I placed it at a good height in the pantry, easy to see, but not too high that it is awkward to pull things out (I used to have an OTR MW and pulling hot sloshing things from that height was something I swore never to do again). I had my electrician install an outlet in the pantry when he was here doing other stuff in the kitchen, and it was pretty easy for him to do.

I also do not like the looks much of a microwave. Someone posted once that microwaves look the same now as they did in our college dorm rooms back in the day, and that's pretty much true. I spent so much time and money making the kitchen look pretty that I didn't want the microwave to show. Another alternative that some have done is to put the MW behind cabinet doors. I remember someone did an appliance garage-rolling door-type thing in front of their MW.

If I had to have a MW that is visible, I would choose a Panasonic from their "Genius Prestige" line. The Panasonics look different from most, and don't have a cluttered busy touch pad. Instead they have a dial and a few buttons symmetrically laid out. Very clean and modern.

One thing to consider with built-in MW's, just from a practical point of view. MW's don't last long, and when you go to replace it, if it is built-in, you may have trouble finding one in the same size that will fit.

I am linking an old thread about MW placement that may help.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread Called Where's Your MW

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

Ours used to sit on the counter, to the left of the range. It made that 30" stretch of counter useful for little else. We have two reach-in pantries on either end of the kitchen, and moved the MW into one of those in the reno. It allowed us to put it on a shelf at the exact height we wanted it and not worry about how it would look.

We considered one of the MW drawers, but in the end just couldn't justify the expense.

• Honoria Glossop
    13 years ago

I just found this out and it has totally changed my perspective about where to put the microwave.
    Microwaving your food scrambles the molecules in the food so that your body doesn't even recognize it as nutrition.
    I knew it had to be bad for you, but this convinced me.
    NO microwave in my new kitchen!!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

If anyone has an OTR one, how high is it off the stove top? I am thinking of doing a micro shelf and do not want it too high up (not as high as those), but also want some counter space below it. It would be on a wall with no "uppers" so I can do any height I want. I was thinking approx 12-15" might work. Any thoughts?

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

My kitchen is small and was desperately lacking in countertops plus storage is a premium...so no choice but an otr speed oven/micro/convection. I don't mind being able to multi task in one area. If I had room to do a under counter it would not work for me, my bones are bad and it's easier for me to reach up than bend down. In fact it's easier for me to use my otr combo unite as a convection oven instead of bending for the stove oven on a bad day. You really need to consider how you use your space when making improvement decisions. For example, I only have 32" on two sides of my little 30 x30 island on wheels, this would not work for many but for me it's good because I can load dishwasher contents and roll it to a cabinet to put away.
    So really it depends on how much space you have for a different location besides an otr and how the kitchen would work for you.

• palimpsest
    13 years ago

I usually put them on the counter in a corner. That way they are not too high or too low, there is set-down space right there, and then they are easily replaceable when the time comes. If you have room on the countertop thats what works for me. Most kitchens I have designed have this, one had it undercounter between the fridge and range. Most kitchens here are gas so OTR is too high for many people, and the hood function is not optimal anyway.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

We have a MW drawer. If we had had the room, I would have preferred one mounted in a tall cabinet at chest-height, but we didn't, so the MW drawer was the next best thing. The controls are angled up so they're easy to use w/o leaning over and, b/c it's a drawer, it opens up so you don't have to bend over and reach inside...the dish is right there! It's also very easy to stir something if needed...easier than any other MW! Just open the drawer, stir, close the drawer...no need to remove the dish or reach inside a MW!

For most families, the ideal general location of the MW (and refrigerator, btw), is on the periphery of the kitchen, near the refrigerator, and not too far from a water source. It should be close enough that it's easily accessed from the kitchen for prepping & cooking, but also easily accessed by "outsiders" looking for a snack (like popcorn or leftovers for reheating) without getting in the way of those working in the kitchen. The reason proximity to the refrigerator & a water source is ideal, is that most items MW'd come from the refrigerator (fresh food section or freezer) and often need a little bit of water added.

(Green eggs and ham?)

Dianalo...how high would chest-high be for you? It's always seemed to me that chest-high is the ideal height...high enough not to have to lean over and low enough to just look in or add/remove dishes safely & easily.

I think 15" above the counter would give you enough room under the shelf so you can use it for a landing space and still see under the shelf yet low enough to access it easily. 12" might be a little tight.

I don't think you need the standard backsplash height unless you plan on storing/using a stand mixer or coffee pot under it. If you do, then measure the item to be used/stored under it and add 1/4". That's how high the shelf & light rail, if any, should be above your counter.

Good luck to both of you!

• Sue Brunette (formerly known as hockeychik)
    13 years ago

I like mine at about shoulder/head height. The micro cabinet in the new kitchen sits about 15 inches above the counter and that should be the right spot for me. I decided that having it sit in a wall cabinet at the typical height of wall cabinets(18 inches above counter) was too high. We put some corbels(is that the right name?) below it, so hopefully it will look planned and not like someone just placed a cabinet too low. It isn't installed yet. I also wanted it placed near the refrigerator and cooktop. I hate to be making something on the stove and need to use the microwave for part of it if the microwave is too far away. The moment you step away from one or the other, something boils over or burns.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I really like having a drawer microwave because it keeps the counter clear and visible. Ours is on the periphery of the kitchen, near the sink and by the entrance to the great room. Works great for us as we use it occasionally, mostly for snacks. It's also near the island seating area, so for snacks etc. it's a good location.

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

I just wish microwaves in general (excluding drawer micro)were not so Ugly. I almost never fry so my otr works fine for me but I do not like the looks. In a perfect world all microwave fronts would snap off easily or be designed in a way where you could have a wood veneer panel front with window, they could be custom worked to match cabinets and you would have a wood handle option that could also be painted or stained to match cabinets.

• eustacem
    13 years ago

We're planning a cubby in our new kitchen, in the lowest section of an upper (if that makes sense). Right now I have it on my counter, and I hate it there, it sucks up valuable real estate. I guess if I had adequate counter space it wouldn't bother me so much but there's no other place to put it at the moment. I'd *almost* just as soon do without, I don't use it that much.

Tullamore, I would be interested in hearing more about how the microwive robs food of nutrition, as I mostly use mine for heating vegetables.

I used to do the boat/goat thing, but the durn machine kept floating away when I needed it. Maddening.

• sue36
    13 years ago

Mine is in the butler's pantry, not the kitchen.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Our sons will be 7.5 & 9 when the kitchen is completed so I have to count their heights into the equation. Luckily, the "little" one is a moose and is taller than his normal size older brother. I am leaning towards 12-13" above the counter, so that they could use it with a step stool at first. It will not be at the front of the counter, so I need to factor in the extra distance for our sons to reach it. The counter below will be where the dishes about to be washed will sit. I will have some leeway after the counters are in to figure out the exact height.
    Here is a very rough mock up. It is hard to show that the MW is actually on a shelf above and not sitting on the counter. Btw-our cabs, fridge & freezer will be white, and the floor will not look like that. Also, back of the island will be all white.
    {{!gwi}}

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Our counter-top microwave is a monster at 24x22x13.5. I plan to custom build an under-counter cubby with counter at 42" from the floor. I have a 6'2" son who may appreciate his own counter space. :)

tullamore, does microwaving fat cells keep my body from recognizing them, too? If so, I'm using the microwave to cook everything!!

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Momma goose, when we were remodeling the kitchen one of my families all time favorite sandwiches was microwaved colby cheese slices, you microwave the cheese until it turns hard and crispy and then you add valida onions, tomato, mayo and serve on health nut bread with the little walnut pieces. I can tell you from personal experience that my body recognized the fat cells from microwave cooking :(

• michellemarie
    13 years ago

Do you have children that will be using the mircowave? If so, that will dictate the height.
    I let my brain take a little vacation during my remodel and didn't consider the fact that my kids use it all of the time.
    I purchased an Advantium oven that includes a microwave setting and had it installed at the same height as an otr microwave is installed. I knew the day it was installed that I would need to make a trip to Target and get a cheapo small microwave for my countertop if my kids were going to be safe.
    I doubt I will ever not have a microwave on my counter. It is too convenient for me and I have just accepted my kitchen will never look magazine ready.
    Before my kitchen was finished my husband took my old microwave and put it on a little shelf for me that was about a foot above the floor. I hated it. I am so glad I didn't have one built in below countertop level. It drove me nuts having it low. If your are thinking of doing a microwave that is below countertop height, then put your microwave at that height and use it for awhile before you order your cabinets.

• kathycooks
    13 years ago

I had mine built in with a trim kit and it's above my wall oven. It's actually a combo with micro and convection so I have two ovens.
    I like the placement, just about level with my chest. I can see what's going on in there and it's not a big deal to lift the containers up into or down out of the oven.
    The only problem is the door swings the wrong way. It swings into the kitchen, so I'm always having to move around it to put the food down on the counter. If I had it to do over again, I would buy one with a reversible door.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

kathycooks, I didn't know there was such a thing as reversible door microwaves! I googled it and found some very expensive, left-hand door microwaves.

Anyone know why they are so pricey, and if there are more economical versions?

jterrilynn, that sounds scrumptious! When my kids were smaller we used a non-stick griddle to fry slices of provolone, until brown and crispy. They can be torn into strips and used in place of bacon, in BLT's. (I just ate them plain.) :D Never thought about using the microwave.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

We use them so much we have two - mine is between the frig and stove on a shelf below the counter - great useful location. The 2nd one is on the counter in the "sandwich" area which includes bagels, etc. This is where the kids use it. Once the kids are gone we will go down to one. It's funny but I still have to think what else is on before I turn the microwave on (old habit from the last kitchen where the following were on ONE circuit - microwave, toaster oven, frig, dining room lights, all kitchen lights and outlets, back hall lights, stove, plus a few more rooms!)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    13 years ago

Meant to include a link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Left-hand opening/right hinge microwaves.

• willtv
    13 years ago

It depends on how and how often you use you microwave. We are just finishing up a full demo kitchen remodel. Our kitchen is 8 x 12 feet with an adjacent pantry area that is 4 x 5 feet. Before the remodel, the microwave sat on the counter in the pantry. We use it primarily for reheating left overs and melting butter. So, not that often. After looking at different plans for our new kitchen and several suggested new microwave locations, we decided to put it exactly where it originally was. Back on the pantry countertop. Any other location would have taken away too much cabinet space. We also didn't want it to be too high (above the range)or too low (below the countertop). Since we don't use it that often, we felt that the pantry countertop was the best location.

• efc54
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm really appreciating everyone's comments. I am curious about microwave drawers--have never seen one. Do people have feelings about the pros and cons of them? Thanks.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

My Sharp MW drawer:

BTW...Sharp makes the vast majority of MW drawers out there. They just re-badge them for other manufacturers (Dacor, etc.). There may a different function or two to distinguish them, but they're basically the same.

They come in 24" and 30" widths, but the interior dimensions of the two sizes are exactly the same...the difference is in the amount of trim. This size difference is to make them more flexible for cabinet sizing.

I've linked a thread from about a month ago on this topic.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Microwave Drawer Pros and Cons?

• rj56
    13 years ago

Due to very little counterspace, I moved my microwave into my coat closet turned pantry. It is on a shelf at counter height. We only use it for heating up things so it has worked for us and we love the extra counter space.

• sewingdeedles
    13 years ago

I love my undercounter Wolf drawer now that I put it to use. I used to have an Advantium above the cooktop and everytime someone need to use it I had to stop cooking. It is much easier and safer to lift hot liquids from the drawer than to reach up, take it out and possibly have it spill down on you. The cons are price, and that you don't see into the unit as easily as you would if it was counter level; you have to stand back or lean down to look in. Also really tall cups don't fit. I went with the 24" because the unit is the usable size of the unit is the same as the 30" and I wanted all the space to be usuable. I don't think the microwave drawer is just a short term trend.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I only use my OTR microwave when I am cooking more than one item and typically during entertaining. I use my countertop one almost everyday and it is just to the left of my fridge. Works out fine as the island is right across from it.

• jossfan
    13 years ago

I LOVE where i have my microwave, kitchen has been in use for two weeks and this is soooo workable. The fridge is a double oven away from the microwave, and there is counter space directly under it. The door flips up out of the way for MW use, and then hides it neatly the rest of the time. One of my top two original kitchen reno ideas (or did i see it somewhere before on GW?)!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• marcy96
    13 years ago

I do not like it on a boat, I do not like it with a goat...
    I like it on a shelf next to my fridge! :) It's slightly higher than I would like it, as my kids can just barely reach it (but they will grow), but I had no other place to put it.
    {{!gwi}}

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Marcy - how high is that off the counter? I need mine to be low enough for the boys to reach but also high enough not to lose the counter below.
    TIA

• lascatx
    13 years ago

Mine is a Sharp drawer (my understanding is that the cooking mechanism in the drawer is a new technology patented by Sharp so they either make or license all the micro drawers for now). I paid the extra because a 24" drawer fit in my bases better than any above the counter I could find for my uppers and I don't have any corners to hide one in (did that in a previous kitchen). I might have put it in the island across from where it is now, but it needed the 24" deep cabinet and my island has a 21" deep that holds a warming drawer (Dacor) so I could get both. I've been very happy with the drawer and don't regret the decision at all.

My kitchen is a U shape with 2 doorways at the back of the U. My clean up and dish storage is on one side, cooking on the other and fridge pantry (food storage) on the end. The breadkfast room is on the open side. We put the micro between the cooktop and the table end so that the kids can use it for heating things without getting in the way of baking and cooking and reheated dishes could go easily to the table.

I had someone suggest that a micro should be near the fridge, and I've see the pros suggest it as well, but that didn't make sense in my kitchen since the table and eating area is opposite. Made more sense for us to carry a cold dish a few steps further and take the hot dishes the shortest and most direst route -- with the added benefit of keeping kids and other snack traffic out of the kitchen.

Look at your traffic flows. Figure out where it will be most convenient for your use. If the limited width choices and added depth make an above counter a problem, look at the drawers. To me, it's one of those why didn't anyone do this sooner things.

• lala girl
    13 years ago

I have Sharp drawer too and love it. I had a OTR before - with the the drawer I like how I can look down into things while checking readiness or stirring rather than standing on tiptoes and trying to peer in over the edge of the bowl. I am short though, DH did not mind the OTR. Our drawer sits to the right of the range on the peninsula, so it is in a convenient location for us. Not a great pic, but here is ours.

• red_eared_slider86
    13 years ago

As a chemist, all I can say is that something definitely got scrambled...

BUT as to the question at hand -- we used to have the MW on the counter to the right of our side-by-side fridge. Any time we were setting out anything to be reheated, we had to close the fridge door to get to the MW. Also, the MW took up a lot of countertop space.

Now we are in the middle of our remodel, but when it's finished, the MW will be on a shelf 18" (I think) above the counter to the left of a FD fridge. If we have to reheat multiple things, we won't have to go thru the agony of opening and closing the fridge door to retrieve everything.

My youngest is 10 and tall for his age, but if he needs to, he can use a stepstool to access the MW. There will be plenty of landing space beneath and on either side to place hot items.

• creative_glo
    13 years ago

The microwave location is pretty subjective as you can see by all these comments! As I designer I also love the Sharp microwave drawer. It installs under the counter so it doesn't distract from your design and is safe for adults or older children to use. The Dacor microwave drawer is also made by sharp. I like locating the microwave close to the refrigerator so it's convenient for re-heating.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens for Living