SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
callmejane

So upset! Should I bail on this place?? (countertop drama)

CallMeJane
10 years ago

Ive spent the last 4 hours in quite an emotional state. My face is still hot, but my chest is less tight than before. By principle, I feel like I should bail on these people. What should I do?
Background:
My kitchen design place has been handling my countertops. I was sent to a stoneyard in NJ, about 5 hrs round trip from where I live in PA. I was told I would need 3 slabs. The stoneyard was only willing to show me 2 of the 16 slabs of the white macaubus they had, which by the way had circular brown coffee stain looking deposits on them (I posted pics previously). Disappointed with that experience, I told my KD, and he was going to send me to another stone supplier. At that point however, I was told that my job would only need 2 slabs.
In the mean time, I discovered Corteccia quartzite/marble, and asked my KD the pricing. He said his fabricator didnt have a supplier with that stone. I found a fabricator in NJ willing to come out to where I live and put it in. This guy was going to do everything with an ogee edge in the Corteccia for the same price as I was quoted the WM by my KD. Corteccia is about 15+- sq ft more expensive than WM.
If I went with the fabricator I found I would have to pay out of pocket. If I went with my KDs fabricator, it would be taken from my allowance. I didnt want to pay that much out of pocket, since we've already done so much outside...and I decide to let go of the Corteccia.
I went to the other stone supplier my KD said to go to, chose my slabs of WM.
I emailed my KD this morning, as, now that one of my islands is in, I wanted a little more overhang, and an ogee edge. I had also asked him that he initially said my job would take 3 slabs then he said it would take 2 slabs, but there was no adjustment in price...if he could explain that.
My understanding was, I pay for the slabs, the templating/fabrication, and installation. By default, if I am using less slabs, I should be paying less. At this point, I was just trying to get my edge and extra overhang in the price of the extra slab. I also mentioned the other fabricator that was going to do the edging on the pricer stone for just as much. I offered to talk to his fabricator, as I didnt want him bargaining for me or put him in an awkward position.
This is the reply I get:
'Regarding the kitchen tops, please print and sign the attached change order that will amend our contract by stating that ____ will not be selling you the countertops. At this point I need to cut my losses and tell you “good luck with the outfit in New Jersey.” I’ve already got too much time invested in something that clearly will not be profitable for our company.....We make very slim margins on selling stone tops to our customers; we generally do so only to make the process convenient for our customers. It takes time and resources to do this and my time and effort must have value [as well as everyone at (fabricator) and the distributors I’ve been contacting for you]; that is not the case here, so ___ will not be involved in providing you counter tops.'

I really am livid. What should I do? Should I fork over the money and go elsewhere, or should I just have someone else to handle things? Going out of pocket is decent money, which I can do...but would rather not. At this point though, Im not sure if its just a matter of principle.

Thoughts?

Comment