SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastcoastmom_gw

Hardwood over stone floor dilemma

eastcoastmom
15 years ago

Hi everyone. What a great forum! I'm a newbie who has been lurking in here for a few weeks (and getting some really valuable information) as we are getting ready to take the plunge on a new kitchen/family room remodel project. I'm wondering if anyone has any words of advice on a kitchen/den floor dilemma.

The project is one that's changed in scope a few times - from basically an in space cosmetic redo, to a gut job of both kitchen and adjoining sunroom/den. The existing sunroom has about 500 square feet of bluestone installed over a slab, which we want to redo one way or another. We are planning to knock out a bearing wall to open up the two spaces. Here's the problem. I'd love to install wood floors throughout the two spaces. Our builder tells us that to painstakingly chop up the slate, lay new subfloor and a wood floor on top would be a fortune (as in close to 5 figures before materials!!) We could lay a wood floor OVER the existing floor, but that would result in an unacceptable almost 2 inch change in height of the adjoining spaces and a step up to the dining room, which is open to the space, too.

There's a second issue, too. We have existing light oak Mirage floors throughout the rest of the first floor, ie foyer, dining room, living room and hallway. Meanwhile, I'm finding myself leaning to a creamy white kitchen with darker cherry stained island. I'd love a wood floor in there for several reasons. Unfortunatly, the floor I'd want if all else were equal would be darker than what I already have in the rest of the house. Would it look awful to have two woods that adjoin? How have people handled that transition for something like that? I'd really love to have wood in the family room.

The one solution to all this, of course is to put down porcelain tile or travertine or something throughout both spaces. I wouldn't mind that so much for the kitchen, but am queasy about doing it in the den area - a space that's also going to include a TV wall and a fireplace. So am I resigned to tile throughout? I do know that there are some beautiful ones out there. Any new technologies or materials that could help? Builder suggested Pergo or similar as a solution, but I would probably rather do the tile if it came to that.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio