SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wannaknow1

Scratch and Stain Resistant Electric Stovetops

wannaknow1
11 years ago

We have a 30" GE electric stove (the house has no gas) from around 1976. It uses coils on the porcelain top. I would like to get a new range with a smooth surface top. From my reading, it doesn't matter what brand, they all scratch very easily and take a lot of care, with special products necessary. Many readers suggest you have to clean a spill right away, or it will become much more difficult and necessitate a razor if it dries. Also, it sounds like if you slide a hot pot off the burner onto the stove, it can scratch the surface.

My question: since manufacturers are able to make cell phones with strong and resistant anti-scratch materials, why can't they adapt that to electric stove tops? I realize that a cell phone may not endure if exposed to the same heat as a cooktop, but it seems it would be a starting point for a much-needed refinement.

The large companies must be aware that families are unhappy with their current products and would like something more practical for a working kitchen. Do you know of anyone who is working to incorporate better materials? Are there any brands that you are aware of that already have a better product? Since they update their designs, what would it take to convince them that there is a market for an improved design? I know that I am not alone, and it seems that their research should have told them so already. Even the more expensive brands don't appear to think this is an issue worthwhile for them to address.

Does anyone know of any brands they are happy with that are more scratch and/or stain resistant? Does anyone have any suggestions for bringing this to the attention of a manufacturer who will respond, even if it is a rep reading these posts? Thanks!

Comments (34)