SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pugrolls

Hey! It's kinda starting to look like a kitchen! Progress Pics

pugrolls
13 years ago

There's still a long way to go, obviously, but I'm excited to at least see some progress! The cabinet guy should be able to finish up in the next day or two, and then it's time to install the countertops.

Which leads me to my request for input: thoughts on my countertop! I drool about marble in my dreams, but neither DH or I would be able to deal with the maintenance, and we'd both freak out about any little etch. I posted a while ago about not being able to afford the alternative that I really wanted, Quartzite Bianca ($150 per square foot installed in my area -- GET OUT!), so I considered a number of other options. I was pretty much set on going with Super White, but it turns out the slabs I had on hold were actually already on hold by another person (and I can't find it at any of the other 10 stone yards in my area. Yep -- I've been to all 10 stone yards -- more than once!) DH doesn't like the red dots in Bianco Romano, River White, Ambii White, Kashmir White, or Andromeda White (and frankly, the slabs I've seen around here aren't nearly as beautiful as the white granites I've seen showcased here on GW), and DH thinks other white beauties like Bianco Antico and Delicatus are "too busy" for his taste. (Also a side note, DH is the cook in the family, so I'm not really in a place to squawk about having "my kitchen" the way I want it without his input).

Anyway, the thought du jour is gray quartz, and then perhaps pairing it with a marble backsplash to bring home the transitional look -- or colored glass tile if we're feeling adventurous. We do appreciate the modern, clean look of quartz, and while it doesn't get my heart racing like marble or white quartzite, I've seen it look amazing when paired with the right backsplash and accessories. Also, for what it's worth, quartz definitely seems to be the designer's pick for high-end countertops in my area (Seattle, 5 mins from downtown), and this is not our "forever" home. We like the color gray as a neutral and think it ties in well with the SS appliances.

Here are a couple of progress pics (obviously the cabinet guy has a bunch of finish work to do). There will be a SS single sink below the window, the SS DW goes to the left of the sink, and the cabinet doors to the right of the window are glass (just like the cabinet doors to the left of the window). There is electrical wiring in place above the island to install pendants when we're ready.

And now here are a few gray quartz counter inspiration pics:

So, thoughts on the countertop, dear GWers?

Comments (35)

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Pugrolls, your kitchen is going to look downright beautiful. I haven't gotten as far along as you in shopping for granite but I like the gray; I think too much white will be ... too much white. If marble makes your heart race then using it on the backsplash could be a good compromise. What colors are you planning for hardware? Wall color? Will you bring in some bright "pop" of color for accents? I'm in Puget Sound too; I'd love to hear how things go with your fabricator.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Did you ask at the Seattle Pental if they had any in Fife? You've probably already been down there, but I had to ask. They have different slabs at any given time. I've been to Fife several times in the last couple of months. Didn't notice Super White, but I wasn't looking. (I live in Oly.)

The gray would be beautiful, especially with a marble BS.

Are those custom cabs?

• Related Discussions

Kitchen Remodel Pics Work In Progress

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank heavens you and your family survived the hurricane! And getting to do your reno sooner is a great way to put a positive spin on the damage. It's great that you were able to reuse your sink and granite. Good luck with your cabinet bids!
    ...See More

Kitchen progress- we've made it look like more work!

Q

Comments (5)
    Greenhaven- 8 weeks, so not too terrible. The bathroom above is also gutted, so as long as we get that finished in time, we will be ok, I think. We can survive just using our toaster oven in the dining room if we have to! Lazygardens and live wire- you aren't kidding. Luckily we knew when we bought an almost 100 year old home that we'd be uncovering some scary things. Most of the budget will definitely be going into things you can't see, but at least we will know our house is safe and done correctly!
    ...See More

kitchen progress pics..goodbye red walls :(

Q

Comments (35)
    You've got a lot of space up there, the plates with kids' handprints would look cute and homey (but not country cluttered like before), the apothecary jars sound great too. But I'm not one for putting stuff up where I can't get to easily to dust, but can still see the dust (and glass jars would show it). If you want to do crown on the cabinets, you can order it from the cabinet manufacturer, or you could put real oak up there. That's what I'm doing - forget how much it was at HD, but it's pretty easy to match the color, it looks like a Natural (pretty colorless) stain, maybe a touch of Cherrywood gel if you need it redder, on red oak would match your cabinets. They look the same color as mine, here's what I did (molding not all stained and up yet - have been working on other things in the house). Island cabinets - added oak b/t upper and lower cabinets and in front of recessed cabinet (bathroom vanity) Before After (Natural on red oak, 1 coat brushed on semigloss waterbased poly, 2nd coat brushed on and then wiped off excess) Added oak shoe to hide gap at wall - again, just Natural stain and water-based (wiped on a thick coat) poly - sorry this is the best photo I had showing the shoe and cabinets together, I think I got the color and gloss (semigloss) pretty close Added a piece above and below fridge cabinet to fill gaps (cabinet had been placed with 6" gap under it, we lowered 3" and filled the gaps, will be adding crown). This is only red oak with Natural stain, no poly yet (will poly when do the crown). The idea (not to go all the way to ceiling, except for over fridge and corner cabinet that are higher). Mockup not stained. Since you already have crown on wall, you want to keep your cabinet crown lower too. HTH
    ...See More

It's beginning to look like a kitchen!

Q

Comments (3)
    oh bravo - all drawers! lucky you! can't wait to see pics. post asap - even parts at a time.
    ...See More
  • pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, newcastlemom! The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of keeping the major things -- counter, BS, and even paint -- neutral, and then add pops of color with accessories (e.g. colored stools, bowls of fruit, art on the walls, etc.) Also, there is a picture window to the right of the sink (where the dining table will go), and I could match some colored drapes to the stools or something. So many options! This is the exciting part! :) I will keep you posted about fabricators.

breezygirl, thanks for the thought, but I was just at the Fife Pental yesterday, as well as Cosmos in Fife. Cosmos had slabs of Moon Night (a darker version of Super White), but the pattern was very "chunky" and not as "swirly" as I wanted. The Super White I found was at Meta.

The cabinets are Diamond "semi-custom" from Lowe's. I worked with Dean at the Lowe's north of Seattle on Aurora and had a good experience. (They were having a sale when I ordered them).

• mastiffmom_85
    13 years ago

Sorry this is off topic, Pugrolls, but would you mind giving me the details of your wall ovens? I've been looking for something with that same configuration.

Thanks!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

With a neutral background, your pops of color could change over the years with your mood!
    I figured you'd have been to Fife, but had to throw it out there.

I'm looking at Diamond also. My trip to Lowe's ended with that conclusion, as did a trip to a local cab supplier. Are they Wittenburg? Gresham? Are the white cabs the "White" color? And, more importantly, how do you like the quality?

• pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sure, mastiffmom. My "ovens" are actually a KitchenAid Architect Series II microwave convection on top/convection oven on bottom combo. I got it at homeeverything.com and was thrilled with my experience (mostly because it was waaaaay cheaper than anywhere locally, didn't charge any tax or shipping, and was delivered on time). I haven't actually cooked anything in it yet, however. I will include a link below.

breezygirl, they are Jamestown in "White" and the island is "Chocolate." Their marketing materials don't list Jamestown in the white color, but I was able to order them that way. I got the soft-close drawers and door hinges (although the cab doors arrived with regular hinges attached; they sent the soft-close hinges, but we had to change them out ourselves). Very happy with the quality so far!

Here is a link that might be useful: My Wall Micro/Oven

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I hate to keep asking Qs about your cabs as this wasn't really your initial post, BUT..... I don't find Jamestown listed as a door style in any of my Diamond booklets including the big one I got from Lowe's. How wide is the rail/stile/whatever-you-call-it? I'm interested in the Wittenburg (also called Montgomery) with the thinner rail/stile and Gresham (also called Sumner) with the wider rail/stile for the shaker style, but can't decide how wide I want the rails/stiles. Does make sense?? ;) Yours look great in the photo, but I can't tell the width.

• pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And for what it's worth, breezygirl, I initially considered going with the creamier "Dove White" because I was afraid that the "White" would be too stark. Looking back, I'm so glad I went with "White" -- I think it looks great in my space and think that the "Dove White" would have looked dingy. Definitely take home a sample to see how they look in your light!

• pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Breezy, you know, my cabinets are actually from the Diamond "Reflections" line -- that might be the difference. I'm not at home so I can't measure the width of the rail for you, but I'll include a link below to the online style. Hope this helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond Reflections

• mastiffmom_85
    13 years ago

Thanks, pugrolls! I have a Jenn Air range right now with the small top oven/large bottom oven combo, and I am loathe to lose that small top oven!

Your kitchen is looking beautiful!

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Off topic too for BreezyGirl: I looked at Diamond too cause of the good storage options but ended up going custom. I'm glad I did and if that's something you want to consider email me and I'll share my guy's contact info. I've been so impressed with his work and the value for cost is amazing. Way less $ than his competitors, including some semi-custom I looked into.

Pugrolls, I'm impressed you could go to 10 stone yards and keep it all straight. I've only been to 1 so far and it was overwhelming. I hope that you are thrilled with your final choice; you deserve it after all your hard work and research. I keep thinking about a marble BS with those white cabs; understated and gorgeous. BTW, did ya see all the complaints about the KitchenAid wall ovens burning out once you do 2 cleaning cycles? I bought their Architect series II double wall ovens but I plan to do cleaning cycles regularly while it's still in under warranty. Gotta love that blue interior.

• pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Re: custom cabinets, if I found the right guy at the right price, I would have done it in a heartbeat! Glad you're having such a great experience, newcastle!

Re: stone yards...true, it is overwhelming at first, but I've been looking for months and months...and months (I'm embarassed to say how long our remodel has been dragging on!) During the past couple of months I knew I was looking for something in the white or gray families, so I quickly passed up anything that wasn't white or gray. I definitely think I benefitted from my few initial trips just wandering around aimlessly. That said, it was hugely helpful to take notes and photos! Lately I've been taking a pocket-sized notepad with me and my digital point-and-shoot camera. I record the name of the stone yard, the name of the stone, the price range, and any specific comments, then I snap a photo so I can share with DH and compare to other slabs I've seen at other yards.

Re: KA ovens. Yeah, I did see the complaints, but was lured by looks. I guess I am that shallow! :) Good idea about cleaning while under warranty. Loooove the blue interior!

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Found a photo on the finishedkitchensblog to inspire the "pop of color" when you're ready. She used essentially your same color palette and then got creative with spots of color.

Thanks for the tips on how to make that stone yard search more manageable. Good idea on ways to keep track and narrow it down; right now there are simply too many options. I only have a couple weeks so I'd best get at it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Animala's Profile

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Now I see the cab. I was only looking in the Reflections Maple styles as I thought only Maple could be finished in a paint color. Your Cherry style looks like the thinner railed/stiled Maple Wittenburg. I would like the width measurement if it's not too much trouble. I agree with the Dover white looking grungy, especially in gray Western WA. Your White does look right!

I wandered around Pental a few times in late winter with THE kitchen notebook just to look and drool. It helped me figure out what's out there and what I don't like in granite. I already knew I wanted white cabs. That's the only yard I've been to so far, but want to check out Cosmos.

Newcastle--I'll e-mail for your cab guy. I'm very interested in a price compare with semi-custom. In what stage of reno are you? Done?

The double convection wall ovens I picked are the KA Architect II as well, KEBS278. Are those the ones you're talking about? Yikes. I haven't done any internet research yet to see about complaints before I order. Too focused on layout, cabs, and the foundation being poured this week. I picked them for the functions and, coincidentally, they match the KA fridge I want, but the blue interiors didn't hurt!

• pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

breezy, my Jamestown cabinets are actually maple. I guess that's what the marketing materials didn't say about them (I knew there was something). I asked the guy at Lowe's if they could do the Jamestown style in maple, and they said sure.

That said, if you can go with great quality custom cabs for the right price, I think it's a no-brainer to go custom. Like I said, I would do it in a heart beat! I just didn't get lucky with finding the right guy at the right price when I was looking for a custom cabinet maker. (Luckily for me I'm happy so far with my Diamond cabs).

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

For cabs, I started with the big box stores but wanted a little higher level of quality, especially on the interiors. And my little brother who is a GC insisted that custom was the only way to go. He doesn't insist about much and I trust him so I started to research custom and semi custom guys. Interviewed/referenced/looked at the work for 6 and chose the one I'm working with. He's been so darn easy to work with and he's meticulous. He did my cousin's cabs and she still has a big smile on her face. She's in Tacoma, BreazyGirl. I bet she'd let you come see.

As for the stage we're in, the floor and underlayment are gone and most of the cabs are demo'd. We finished the structural this week; tore down 2 smaller walls and a load bearing wall to expand the kitchen. Electrican starts tomorrow and plumber finishes the rough in on Saturday. Cabinets will be installed in 2 weeks. I planned for years but it's all happening fast now.

I researched the heck out of my ovens and still chose the KA Architect series. I think running those self cleaning cycles in the warranty period is still a good idea though.

Going to look at granite today; where is the Cosmos yard? Pugrolls, how did you find 10?! Will you please post photos of what you end up with? I just know it's going to be to-die-for.

• plumberry
    13 years ago

love how it's looking so far. love the white cupboards and dark island contrast. enjoy!

• ebean
    13 years ago

i actually think the grey counters will tie the white cabinets and dark island together and then you can integrate a color - i love that inspiration photo above with the green backsplash. it looks great so far.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Cosmos: 2400 Suite:B-104 70th Ave E,Fife

Newcastle--My GC has a custom guy somewhere, I assume Oly, that he wants me to have quote mine once I get a drawing from the local cab company. He says he's usually about the same price as a good-quality semi-custom line. But I want the name of your guy! And maybe see your cousin's?? I'll PM you. I wish I could finally be at the demo stage! New foundation is supposed to be poured tomorrow. That's a start.

Sorry to hijack Pug!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cosmos

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

A friend of mine used raven caesarstone which is kind of charcol with some detailing. It is beautiful. There is also a lighter gray called pebble and I love the Lagos, which is catagorized as brown and mimics lagos azul limestone (which I adore but is challenging like marble.) The quartz is a different vibe than marble. Very clean but enough detail to keep it interesting.

If you are already going down the quartz direction, what about misty carrera or others that are supposed to have the marble feel. I have heard good things about them - see if you can find some discussions on GW. That they look really nice in person.

I really like the idea of the gray perimeter with a marble backsplash - but would love to see something that would contrast and compliment the great black island (black and marble is dreamy) more than the gray (though light gray could be nice.) I guess one challenge is not have the island competing with the backsplash. Or maybe grin and bare one of the more durable marbles just on the island (danby is supposed to be great.) What about wood on the island?

Really like what you are doing - black painted is striking and it looks like a nicely designed island.

• chocolatebunny
    13 years ago

Pugrolls, for a long time I considered grey countertops for my kitchen too. I was in love with the color Iron Ore from the Eco line but when I brought the sample home, it didn't look right in my kitchen. It's because of the paint that I already have up that I am not changing. I guess my point is you have to be careful with grey to have paint with a cool undertone vs a warm undertone (like mine). It may limit your paint choices.

However, the inspiration photos you posted show that it really does look great.

• riverspots
    13 years ago

What about a grayish granite along the lines of Virginia Mist or Costa Esmeralda?

• pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

newcastle, 6 of the stone yards are all in the same little area in Georgetown, south of SoDo in Seattle! It makes for convenient slab shopping. Let's see if I can name them all...Pental, Meta, Oregon Tile and Marble, DalTile, Michelangelo...and...and...and...give me a minute...maybe I'm counting StoneWorld, which has a smaller, but still not insignificant selection of slabs. Then there's Cosmos and Pental in Fife, and then I was also counting two yards I visited when I was in Portland (Casa Bella and Oregon Tile and Marble). The Georgetown area in Seattle is a great place to start!

plumberry, ebean, sparklekitty, chocolatebunny, and riverspots, thanks for the thoughts!

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I've oredered a grey quartz for my kitchen, won't be installed until mid November.

The link below has all their colors, I ordered Sterling to go with my nat birch cabs and SS appl. I was a little hesitant because this is a new division for the company but I'm taking the chance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chroma quartz

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Thanks a bunch, Pugrolls. Just got back from my second trip to Meta. This time I took my kitchen notebook and a lot of photos; wrote down what I liked, went back to those same slabs over and over, came home with 4 samples. I'm actually starting to get the hang of it now. Whew. Your advice was perfect.

Breezy, your GC gets the upcharge if you use his guy and no markup if you find your own, right? My guy is out of Buckley so if he can come to Newcastle he can certainly go to Oly. He may even have some cab clients down there that are easier to get to than my cousin in South Tacoma. And he's been doing jobs for my brother for nearly a year now so I didn't even have to reference him. Sorry for the hijack, Pug.

• Gena Hooper
    13 years ago

Your kitchen's going to look gorgeous! I'm usually a natural stone kind of girl, but I love the inspiration photos you've shown, especially #2 and #3. The gray paired with a subtle tile blend looks serene and sophisticated and just plain fabulous.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Really looking gorgeous! I love the idea of the soft gray counters with marble backsplash tiles as a compromise for your dream of marble without the upkeep and hazards of having it on the worksurface.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Newcastle--Yes, I pay the GC's overhead on everything, including cabs. I'm not sure he'll go for me getting my own. Despite tough economic times and a great first few meetings with him this year, he seems to be getting p!ssy about me sourcing my own materials. Why should I pay all the markup when I'm doing all the work to research and find the materials and can order them cheaper than he can get them? Because then he isn't making his $ and won't do my job. I'm not in a great position to be my own GC at this point with the baby, preschooler, busy DH, no experience, etc. Thanks for more info about your guy.

Pug--I still think the right gray would look very chic with your cabs. Let us know what you find!

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

Newcastlemom--I can't get your e-mail address from your profile. I'd like the custom guy's info.

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Sorry, Breezy, should be fixed now. Try again?

• pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wizardnm, would you mind sharing what fabricator you're using? I too have been scoping one of the Chroma Quartz colors. I'm getting bids from various fabricators, but can't yet seem to find the right combination of price and quality.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

I'm just using a local granite company here in Michigan, I think they just do jobs all over this state.
    But here's the estimate for your comparision... for 67 sq ft it's $5,371.00 which includes template and install, flat edge, 2 cut outs. No backsplash.

• pugrolls
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, wizard. When you said you were using Chroma, I thought you must be in my area (it's made by a local company here; I didn't know Pental was anywhere other than the northwest).

newcastle and breezy, I bit the bullet and went with Seattle Granite as my fabricator. Jarren has been so super responsive and great to work with (during the many months and months during which I languished over my countertop decision). They come to template on Monday. I'll let you know how installation goes -- that should be in a week or so.

• newcastlemom
    13 years ago

Good luck, Pug. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

Pugrolls, Your thoughts of gray with marble backsplash are right on for your bright white cabinets. It will look great! Would you put the same surface on your island or go with an interesting granite or quartz that was lighter - maybe a white with some gray in it. Can't wait to see your finished kitchen!!

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths