SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
momto4boys_gw

kitchen progress pics..goodbye red walls :(

momto4boys
14 years ago

Well, I didn't want to be one of those that asks and begs for advice and never returns with an update :) I've struggled for a couple yrs on this board with my kitchen. Started with wall color, moved to counters, back splash, etc.

With much appreciated help from the folks here, we finally decided and put in the new countertops a few months ago. Then dh went on to add a subway back splash (my fav thing, i LOVE it)

The red paint has ALWAYS been an issue. Was an issue when I did it, knowing I had to live with ugly green counters for a bit. Got rid of those, and still wasn't happy.

So, we opted to kill the red :( We took care of it in just 3 hours on Sat. I woke up, said let's paint..and we did. I miss it, but things feel more open. Brighter. It was always a funny disconnect with the open living room.

I MUCH prefer the cabinets now with the new color. But, the eat in area is killing me. Was flipped before. The eat in was my favorite with the red, but I hated it in the kitchen. Never happy :)

So, we're still hashing out what to do with cabinets. Paint white, black, grayish green on bottom, white on top. Black on bottom, white on top, lol. Or..just leave :)

For now, I'm backing off and needing to work on the other side of the room. I need window treatments, new art..and need to do SOMETHING with that table.

Anyways, here are some pics.

Before. I'm embarassed to even post this. It's like when you have a baby. You THINK he's really cute, till he's 4 and you look back at pics and realize..hmm, wasn't really, lol. I thought this was ok at the time. Friends said it was. (I know now they were just being nice, lol) Even though the red and green screamed Christmas to me, and my mother's knick knacks were taking over the top of my cabs. I can't believe just how horrid this looked.

after back splash and counter change

and now, with new paint. yea, counters are a mess. this was hours after painting, and still putting things back together. oh, and i do live here, lol. so can't be a shrine with four kids.

some more to show the red, now lexon tan. I know a lot here loved the red. Heck, my kids are mad...cause THEY loved it. Not 100% sure I made the right choice. But, it's there for now.

hubby's handywork. he's never tiled anything, and hated every min. i think he did GREAT!

problem area.

any ideas?? I'm going to search for some art work that's maybe framed out in black. I kind of saw black and white panels, and my kitchen table painted red :) Dh thinks that sounds nuts, lol.

I figured I needed to pull some red back in from my living room, which kitchen is open to.

before

now

and living room..to show colors I need to work with

Comments (35)

• User
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

momto4boys, it looks fanstastic and I'm not just saying that. I really does look awesome!

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

It looks great. As for your cabinets, they look like they are in good condition and the style is current, I would leave them alone. I think they look fine. I like the contract with the backsplash.

I think the eating area looks nice, it's just really different then what you had before. Maybe you can add some color with window treatments and pictures. That picture over the table is okay but something with more color would look really good.

• Related Discussions

Progress in my 1843 kitchen (and whole house) renovation...

Q

Comments (2)
    How exciting!! How long ago was the last kitchen update in your house? Near as I can figure mine was 1950.
    ...See More

Progress on Kitchen

Q

Comments (30)
    TK - you kitchen is lovely. Nice colors and the cabinets are beautiful. GV- believe it or not there is no way you could build a kitchen fit for a king for $50,000 (not to say that Tk's kitchen wouldn't make a king happy). It may seem like a lot (and it is certainly a nice budget and lovely kitchen) but super high end kitchens cost upwards of $75,000 and many are well over $100,000. Most cabinets alone will run you over $10,000 (just for semi-custom and stuff you'd get at Lowe's or HD) and that isn't even factoring in appliances, flooring, counters etc. Bottom line, it isn't cheap!
    ...See More

Kitchen Remodel Progress Pics - Suggestions on Wall Color Needed

Q

Comments (20)
    Imalm53 - I usually avoid offering opinions on color because its so subjective and personal, and because monitors affect what you see. But yours is one of my favorite kitchens. Plus I appreciated the step-by-step granite install photos that you posted awhile back. So here goes . . . I agree with some of the previous posters that bold colors would detract from your beautiful cabinets and granite. But I LOVE the colors of your accents . . . burgundy and yellow. Those are the colors of my kitchen. Sort of a mustard yellow on the walls with a burgundy rust on my window soffit. I love it for me, but I dont have the dramatic cabinets and granite that you have. (Its not done yet, so I dont have photos. ) I do like your idea of putting color on the fireplace wall. Hows about putting your burgundy on that wall, with your yellow on the mantle trim. Then using a softer coordinating color on the rest of the room. Then pulling those colors into your window treatment to tie it together. I was going to try to do a mock up but my monitor is playing havoc with the colors (getting mauve and some strange yellows). I just did a search and saw Benjamin Moores Pottery Barn Collection. Looks beautiful . . . at least on my monitor. Can you imagine doing some combination of this? (not sure if you need the green, though) Benjamin Moore's Navajo white Wedgewood gray Brick red Hampton green HTH!
    ...See More

Hey! It's kinda starting to look like a kitchen! Progress Pics

Q

Comments (35)
    Newcastle--Yes, I pay the GC's overhead on everything, including cabs. I'm not sure he'll go for me getting my own. Despite tough economic times and a great first few meetings with him this year, he seems to be getting p!ssy about me sourcing my own materials. Why should I pay all the markup when I'm doing all the work to research and find the materials and can order them cheaper than he can get them? Because then he isn't making his $ and won't do my job. I'm not in a great position to be my own GC at this point with the baby, preschooler, busy DH, no experience, etc. Thanks for more info about your guy. Pug--I still think the right gray would look very chic with your cabs. Let us know what you find!
    ...See More
  • budge1
    14 years ago

Before = jarring (sorry) and dated (double sorry)

After = soothing and modern

Still hoping that you paint the cabs (but I've done it and know how big a project that is so I won't hold it against you if you don't)

• rdsso
    14 years ago

It looks great. And the sign is right - Cookies do fix everything!!!

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

LOL rdsso..they do in my house :)

budge, don't be sorry. "dated" is EXACTLY what I was thinking of my red walls. Ok, and the hand me down crud my mom threw up on top of my cabs, lol.

happy, I'm not loving the pic, either. Yet another thing in my house I've grown to dislike. But, struggle to find a replacement. I tend to buy things to fill a space, only to regret it later. I'm trying to sit back and wait until I find things these days. Not easy :)

• ctlane
    14 years ago

It will take time for you to adjust to not having the red but I think it looks much better in this case. You can add red accents to your counters and window treatments. You and your DH have done a wonderful job, both on the counters and the backsplash.

Love your cookies sign.

• jlj48
    14 years ago

I laughed my head off about what you said about having a baby you thought was so cute. How true! Love the kitchen, love the red accents throughout your living room. I've grown to really like the look of neutral background and punches of a favorite color. Soothing. Great job! Also - I have the same picture that you have in the corner with the red poppies and trees. Hobby Lobby?

• mrsmarv
    14 years ago

Wow!! What a beautiful transformation ;^)...it should be "goodbye red wall ;o)" with a smiley face. Your "new" kitchen looks warm, inviting, modern and fresh. You did a great job chooseing the wall color and your hubby did a terrific job tiling. I think the subway tiles look great. I have to say that I was a bit skeptical about having such a stark contrast but they look mahvelous, dahling!...clapping wildly.

• les917
    14 years ago

Very fresh! I too loved the red walls, but I think the new color is much better with all the white appliances and tile.

Now bring in your beloved red in accents. An area rug or floor canvas, some different artwork on the walls, a window treatment in the red and beige and black, red canisters, pomegranates or red apples in the apothecary jar, a ceramic platter with red pillar candles of various heights surrounded by river rock in darker tones. Red cushions on the chairs.

I would also pull the table down toward the living room some, to get it away from the window. Right now with it up against that wall, it really accentuates the fact that it blocks part of the window. If you move it down and give it some visual breathing space, I think it won't feel as crowded.

Also think about a swagged lamp to hang over the table, instead of the overhead light in the eating space which isn't near the table. Or run a line of track lighting and mix in some spots and hanging pendants over the bar and table.

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone! :)
    joanie..yep to Hobby Lobby. I love that place!!

• lorriekay
    14 years ago

you Def did the right thing. It really looks great and gives a really updated look!

• suzanne6
    14 years ago

I love it! The color is great and I just love your back splash. Is that lenox tan in the other rooms as well?

• susanlynn2012
    14 years ago

I love the new neutral but very pretty color on the walls. What paint color is it and what gloss finish since it looks perfect in your kitchen.

• phoggie
    14 years ago

momto4boys~~~
    I have been wondering what you decided to do with those red walls that I happen to have loved.....but I don't live there and really hope you like your new color.

• redbazel
    14 years ago

The stuff on top of the cabs did shout "Country Cute!" but I think the red was cool...........for a while. Now I like your new neutral. My own kitchen is red and preparing itself for a transformation, so I feel the whole red-pain-thing!

I love some of the black/ivory black/tan fabrics in a large scale print. Perhaps you could do chair cushions or even some big drapes?

And do not buy anything just to fill the space unless you bring it home in a bag with it's receipt and prepare to return if you don't love it. All the wall stuff I've bought 'cause I loved it, has stayed. All the great Ross or Marshalls or HomeGoods art that I bought for size and shape is now in the hands of my married daughter or stuffed in the pantry next to the paper plates. Maybe you could work in some muted greens in some way or even espresso brown. Too many red accents look contrived to me.

Red (very contrived)

Here is a link that might be useful: I love Essence in Onyx by Waverly half way down this page!

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Les, for sure I want to find a rug. I've thought about it forever, but dreaded the thought of what my boys would do to one, lol. And I just ran out to move the table, to find it is already pulled out. :)Just was pushed up against the wall more after we painted. There's a bench there, and we didn't want the boys to sit on it for a few days, so we tucked it under the table and pushed the table closer to the wall.
    As for a light. We bought a really pretty fixture a couple yrs ago, and it sits in the garage. It's a pendant style. When we bought it, we didn't consider it wasn't centered..and never used it :( I've tossed around the idea of swagging it, but wasn't sure if it'd look funny. I'd love to have something other then that thing that's there now. And I never show my kitchen light...florescent box!! ugh!! I hate that thing. I've yet to come to a solution, as it gives off soooo much light.
    So, what do you suggest over the cabs? I think I need something..but, I don't want to get stuck with what I had before.

suzanne, yep. The lenox tan is in the living room, too. Not my favorite color, really. But couldn't get dh to repaint the living room in another beige/tan color. I sooo wanted to do a gray/green in the whole space. Ditch the red curtains as well. But it would have caused a whole chain of events, including changing my room color, lol.

lynn, we used Benjamin Moore Lenox Tan, in eggshell finish :)

phoggie, I know, I know! I totally thought of you when posting this :) You were in my corner with the red from the start, lol. I also loved it! But, it just wasn't working in the kitchen any more. I'm happy with this. For now :)

Thanks again everyone!!!!!!!!

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Red, so are you painting over yours as well?? What color?
    Whenever I need my red room fix, I can just hop into my older kid's room :) They've still got a red room. Not my beloved Bolero, but it's cool.
    I also love that fabric!

And yea, that really was looking "country". Which is so NOT us. But, my mom :)

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

It looks great, MomTo4. Even your accessories have taken on a whole new life -- they look sleek and jazzy now!

Glad you bit the bullet and are loving your new kitchen : )

• loribee
    14 years ago

I love it...calm, pretty & the new counters and backsplash are just beautiful! DON'T paint the cabs- you can accessorize this room perfectly and I promise that you will be happy! :)

• elle3
    14 years ago

It looks beautiful! I suggested last time around to put some beefy crown moulding on top of those cabs to shorten the distance between the cabs and the ceiling and add some visual interest. I still think that's the way to go!
    And your hubby did a fabulous job on the tile--I can't believe this was his first attempt.
    I love it :)

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I appreciate all the comments. I went to bed kind of bummed, after my mother viewed the pics I sent her. Said it went from "wow to blah" :( And insisted that I put something on top of the cabinets, because it looks so bad. Not that I don't know that already. We've just started putting this back together. Thus, the reason I'm asking for help. Ugh..if it's not one thing, it's your mother :)

elle, I'd love to do something with the molding but not sure how if I'm not going to paint. Not sure if I can find builder, honey oak color MDF :)

squirrel, is it hard to do a mock up of black cabinets?? I hate asking, and don't even entertain the idea if it'd take a lot of time. Not even sure you still do those (I still have the one you did of my living room 2 yrs ago :) ) I've just got this idea in my head, and resale AND white appliances make me think..CRAZY! Won't work. We taped a bunch of construction paper to the cabs a few months ago, lol. I didn't hate it.
    But, walls were red, no back splash. Just the new counter tops.

thanks everyone!

• teacats
    14 years ago

I LOVE the fresh new color!!!!

It looks wonderful!

Of course -- as a person with white-painted kitchen cupboards AND white appliances AND white tile counters and backsplash (LOL!) -- I vote for white for your cabinets to create a unified look. Thats Just me!

Love the artwork above your kitchen table -- that one has always been a favorite of mine! :)

Jan at Rosemary Cottage

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

I love the new color! It really updates the kitchen. I think it is always hard to go from a bold "I'm-really-brave" color to something that isn't so bold. I know that I feel less creative by giving up my golden yellow walls that I painted 9 years ago (that many have loved and copied), for something with more muted tones, but I think it will look classier when I am done. I'm going with Pismo Dunes by BM. (I think)

As far as on top of the cabinets, during my renovation, I have removed all the stuff from up there. I feel so liberated. Do you have lighting up there? Perhaps some rope lighting would really be nice. And here is a wild and crazy idea--and I'm not sure how to really describe it, so bear with me--what about faux windows? If you could get some full lenghth mirrors, turn them sideways and trim them out to look like windows, I think it would be quite interesting. Perhaps only use on the outside wall for the full effect? Or if you did both maybe people would think it was open to the other side? Since nobody can see in them and see their reflection, it will just look like a window. I have done this in our bedroom with a vaulted ceiling and it is very effective.

Congrats on the new color. Just tell mom thanks for that idea, and you will have a plan soon!

• hamsundm
    14 years ago

I think it looks great.

At the moment, I don't feel very qualified to offer advice, but I think I'd go with a few larger items over the cabs... crocks, birdhouse, artwork - nothing too over-done though.

• Kathleen McGuire
    14 years ago

I absolutely love the new color! It is sophisticted and calm. A perfect backdrop to whatever colors you want to introduce. I would go for a fairly large framed print over the table that has the colors used throughout the room. Tan, red, black and cream. You did a freat job!

• phoggie
    14 years ago

Momof4boys~~~
    I had a chuckle about your mom saying your walls went from "wow to blah"......maybe it is our "age" that likes bold colors. (Still loved your red) LOL

• kjmama
    14 years ago

wow looks great!!

• les917
    14 years ago

Instead of things on top of the cabinets, consider starting a collection of decorative plates and platters in a particular pattern or style and hang those on the walls up there. It will pull the walls forward so that you don't see the tops of the cabinets as the visual stopping point as much.

As for moving the table, I wasn't meaning that it was too close to the wall where the bench is, but too close to the window wall.

I would replace the fluorescent with a close to ceiling pendant light fixture or a track that you could focus in different places. But, since your DH is so handy, for sure I would add under cabinet lighting. It would show off your new tile and counters, and eliminate the need for the fluorescent light for much of the time, as the under cabinet lights would light your workspace.

Instead of a rug, consider a floorcloth. Easy to maintain and simply wipe spills. Here are directions for making your own.

floorcloth directions

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

beekeeper, the mirrow thing sounds like a fun idea! Not sure how it would work, since my kitchen backs up to the living room, and my bedroom. Not an outside wall. But, I do need to get the rope lights. I've been meaning to, I just wasn't sure how to use them. I mean, do we run them down through the cabs, drill a hole, and plug them in? Not sure about the idea of a cord running UP the wall. Same reason I don't have under cabinet lighting just yet. I WANT it. I just don't know how to go back the cord.

Les, yea..I got what you were saying about the table. It's pulled away from the window about 8 inches now. Can't go too much more, because it blocks the path from to the kitchen. I have the chair there lined up to the wall at the entry. And I absolutely see hanging plates up there. I would MUCH rather do that, then put stuff on the cabinets themselves.
    My friend is closing her paint your own pottery store, and I have a TON of plates and platters I painted for display for him. It'd be fun to use some of them. But, most are things I did with my kid's hand and finger prints. May look a little silly.
    My friend's cabs are painted white, and she has some silver platters set up on top of hers. That's it. And it looks great. Simple, not distracting. Just fills the space nice. If I painted, I've thought of trying to do the same.
    And I LOVE the floor cloth idea. I'll have to check into some stuff today when I hit Hobby Lobby :)

Thanks all!!

• beekeeperswife
    14 years ago

Our rope cabinet lighting was done without any fuss. During the renovation though, my DH has a plan for wireless switches.....

Anyway, what we did was put the lights up there, plugged them into an extension cord. Take the extension cord, cut the plug off, run it down between two cabinets where there was that small gap, reattach the plug, or modify it with a small flat plug. You sort of have to plan this so that it comes out of the bottom near an outlet. It worked for us, never looked weird, just looked like something plugged in.

I have been wanting to do the mirror thing since we did our dining room over. We have a big rectangular picture window, and I thought the extra "height" would look really cool--like a transom window. I think I saw it done in an Oprah Home magazine by a reader.

Notice, on my subject line, I turned your frown upside down.

• maidinmontana
    14 years ago

That poppy pic is very popular, my mom just bought me one too, I wanted it the first time I saw it but didn't know where I would put it. I have the red accent theme going thru my whole house and even tho I there isn't any in the master bedroom, I placed that poppy pic on an easle on the floor just to bring some red into the room. I think that is the picture you need for your diningroom wall. Perhaps you could trade places with the two pics. I think the one that's in the diningroom now would look good in the livingroom as well. Just a thought, and its free :).

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

you're funny beekeeper! I'm still kind of bummed, but feeling more confidant in my decision :)

maid, that's not a bad idea. Moving that pic. when dh gets home, I'll have him help me get it a try. I'm thinking it may not be big enough. It's pretty square.

I went to Hobby Lobby today and looked around. Found this really cute apothecary sign, about 3.5 ft long. Was thinking about hanging it up on the wall over the cabs? Also have 6 more of the apothecary jars (don't ask why i have so many, lol) in the garage. Thought..maybe put the sign up there, and the jars. Add in a some silver, and maybe some big white plates? Keep sliver, glass and white up there? Maybe nix the sign idea, lol. I just want something..but, not something that over powers.

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

You've got a lot of space up there, the plates with kids' handprints would look cute and homey (but not country cluttered like before), the apothecary jars sound great too. But I'm not one for putting stuff up where I can't get to easily to dust, but can still see the dust (and glass jars would show it). If you want to do crown on the cabinets, you can order it from the cabinet manufacturer, or you could put real oak up there. That's what I'm doing - forget how much it was at HD, but it's pretty easy to match the color, it looks like a Natural (pretty colorless) stain, maybe a touch of Cherrywood gel if you need it redder, on red oak would match your cabinets. They look the same color as mine, here's what I did (molding not all stained and up yet - have been working on other things in the house).

Island cabinets - added oak b/t upper and lower cabinets and in front of recessed cabinet (bathroom vanity)

Before

After (Natural on red oak, 1 coat brushed on semigloss waterbased poly, 2nd coat brushed on and then wiped off excess)

Added oak shoe to hide gap at wall - again, just Natural stain and water-based (wiped on a thick coat) poly - sorry this is the best photo I had showing the shoe and cabinets together, I think I got the color and gloss (semigloss) pretty close

Added a piece above and below fridge cabinet to fill gaps (cabinet had been placed with 6" gap under it, we lowered 3" and filled the gaps, will be adding crown). This is only red oak with Natural stain, no poly yet (will poly when do the crown).

The idea (not to go all the way to ceiling, except for over fridge and corner cabinet that are higher). Mockup not stained. Since you already have crown on wall, you want to keep your cabinet crown lower too.

{{gwi:1448178}}

HTH

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Oh, I forgot to say I *love* the Lenox Tan! It really makes your crown and cabinets stand out. I wasn't sure about white subway with the dark counter either, but now that it's done, the kitchen looks great!

• momto4boys
    Original Author
    14 years ago

aj, that's gonna look GREAT!! We already have some crown on the cabinets now. And I figured if we painted them, we'd just pop what we have off. Then attach them to the MDF, and paint. But, now I'll check into boards of oak, and see about staining to match. I really, really want to eleminate some of that space. Thanks!!!!