SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lmalm53_gw

Kitchen Remodel Progress Pics - Suggestions on Wall Color Needed

lmalm53
15 years ago

New appliances, granite and tile are all installed. Original cabinets cleaned, touched up and hardware replaced. Completed installation of new light fixtures, undercabinet lighting and dimmer switches. My neighbor doing the major remodeling work has completed his tasks and headed back to Florida.

What is left for me to do is complete the removal of the old wallpaper, decide on paint colors for the walls, final window treatments and decorating ideas. The kitchen is my main focus right now, but I also have the sunroom, powder room and laundry to pick wall colors for. I have been trying to introduce some color into the kitchen using dishware, floral arrangements etc. to see what looks good.

I love the warm, earthy tones of my granite, tile and cabinets but feel like I need to infuse some bright colors to punch it up a bit. Plus the feel and look of the kitchen can vary greatly depending on how I have the lighting set... full on brightly lit or more intimate and atmospheric with the dimmers turned down. So not sure what I should do for wall colors. I am thinking I would like to make the fireplace wall color different than the walls and soffits in the main kitchen area.

So far I tend to like the introduction of the reds/burgundy and yellow colors but not sure if I should go that dramatic with the wall paint or not. I could stay basically neutral with wall paint and use the brighter colors only for windows and accesories... but I am still feeling I need some boldness in the paint colors. Wish I knew more about photoshop to practice masking different wall colors. Anyway, here are the pics... appreciate any suggestions!

Here is the original circa 1989 kitchen as it appeared before the remodel:

Here is the current remodeled kitchen with unfinished walls and no window treatments yet:

Here is the fireplace wall still with the original old wallpaper. Need to decide on paint colors:

Here is another picture with more of the fireplace wall visible:

The kitchen with existing lighting dimmed, both ceiling fixtures and undercabinet lighting. Picture taken at night without any flash:

Same picture taken at night with a flash and dimmer lights turned up to full settings:

Another picture of undercabinet lighting dimmed and no flash used:

Picture of my newly grouted travertine tile and my new Lutron Maestro switchplates in Desert Sand color...a good match! :

We finally got our extra tile in to finish the Butler Pantry area. Here is a pic of the accent tile and rope detail after finishing the grout:

We are planning on replacing the old bar stools and small dining table, but need to decide if we want to move our eating area out into the sunroom and make a small seating area around the fireplace instead. That will impact our decision on the type of furniture we get. The area in front of the fireplace is really a little too small for either eating or sitting but we could fit a love seat and upholstered chair there. Since it is just the two of us the small table works fine, but it might be nice to have more table seating in the sunroom for casual dining. Still trying to decide what makes best use of the space.

Appreciate any comments, suggestions or ideas for the colors and finishing touches needed. I would never had made it this far without all the good advice and information here at GW!

Comments (20)