SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

Plz help this Alaskan with her kitchen!

melaska
13 years ago

Hi all. We're finalizing for our very first 'real' house for Spring :) It's a small house by GW standards - this is our retirement home. Our mill rate is insane at 20 mill so we have to account for that as well.

I've posted before about the design in my kitchen is geared to my back problems. I'll have a raised dishwasher with a microwave above & cabinetry which is to the left of the fridge. The space on the other side of the fridge is a mini control center along with upper & lower cabinets.

In the below layout, I have a wall oven at the end of the counter run along with cabinetry. Question: Would it be better to give up counter space or have a wall oven? I won't have much space on either side of the cooktop & the more I think about it, the less I like that idea.

To the bottom of the drawing will be our amazing southern view which will be a wall of windows with, I think, about 22-foot ceilings. We'll have a loft to the north. The door you see to the south leads out to a greenhouse & a deck to the right of that. The steps lead down to the outside. We live in bear country so we have to design with that in mind! =:-0

The architect is putting in everything we ask. The sink has to be there.

I do like having the island & plan to use it for prep. My question...is giving up prep space on both sides of the cooktop worth it?

I have tried & tried to work in a wall oven w/o giving up so much counter space but I just can't. The pantry is fairly large - could I take some space out of that?

I appreciate any input - thanks! :)

Comments (18)