SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melaska

plz help this alaskan with her kitchen floor plan!

melaska
13 years ago

Hi everyone - my 2nd time posting here - what a wealth of information! A little about our situation:

We live in a remote town in Alaska with a beautiful South view.

{{gwi:1436577}}

Our challenges are we are building for our senior years in a high mill rate of 20 so we don't want to pay out the nose in taxes. Example, if your house is valued at $200,000, you'd pay $4,000 a year in property taxes. Alaska does have a tax break for 65 & older but hubby won't get there for 3 more years & he doesn't want to count on it. The benefit is your first $150,000 is not counted in your valuation. Plus, we don't want to build too big/high for the neighborhood. Our subdivision is for people who REALLY want to not live in town (we are 14 miles away). For some reason, they think we live next to Anchorage - 300 miles away ;)

Hubby is designing it to be passive solar, thus, all the South-facing windows.

We've gone round & round on plans for a very long time. We get over 500" of snow a year so we have to consider that. Thus, no fancy, funny angles...either a pitched or shed roof with no intersecting angles. Hubby is doing a shed roof.

We're not building fancy...we are building out of pocket & as small as possible for our needs. We need to be able to leave the house for weeks at a time.

I hope you can read the type in the picture below...we started out with an L-shaped kitchen but we had to cut off part of the left side in order to fit in a utility room & our Master bath. Which is fine.

I really want an island and a 14x14 kitchen is bare minimum.

I hope this picture comes through ok & I'm sorry for the fuzziness.

I thank you for any help you can give me! :)

Comments (3)