SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frankie_in_zone_7

If cleanup sink in island--too messy?

Frankie_in_zone_7
15 years ago

I'm considering a layout in which I convert a 2-level peninsula to an island (to change U-shape kitchen to more open plan). The kitchen is open to the family room.

Currently that's where the main sink and DW are located, and I like the location because cleaning up is more fun facing outward to the FR. The current bi-level design sort of hides stuff, but since you walk past the area all the time, it really isn't "hidden".

I don't really want to flip the cooking area with the cleanup area due to expected costs of moving plumbing, etc, but could consider that. A further problem would be that if I put the range in the island, I would want a range hood, and that would have to be installed in the ceiling and tend to block vision into the FR. Also, as I said, I think I spend more time at the sink, either for cleanup or for food prep or for things needed during actual cooking time than I do at the stove itself, so I like the orientation.

I'm also more in favor of one-level island at counter height so that it can in fact be easily accessed and used from all sides (which is the whole point, to allow circulation through the kitchen area instead of the current claustrophobic U . I found the higher level "bar" was never used as we thought it might be. I think I will find the single-level much more friendly and gives more usable surface area. At this point in family life, I need only have space for one or maybe 2 people to perch at the island (allow an older relative to sit while helping with food prep, or one spouse or kid to sit and chat--don't need to use it for eating or seating a large group as the breakfast/dining table is just a few steps away, as is the upholstered seating in the FR)so I can have just part of it done with overhang.

Currently I have a divided sink, and have not found that helpful--it just breaks up the space in which you could place dishes or pots and so is not as good use of space. In my new plan, I would have a large single-bowl sink. My "hope" would be that we would be able to place all dirty dishes in the sink, if not in the empty dishwasher, so the island wouldn't be a total disaster.

My kitchen counters and sink area are now pretty cluttered so that I don't see how it could look any worse, but...

What has been your experience with having the cleanup center in the island, in terms of fighting dishes and clutter on the island?

Comments (7)