SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sjkljk2305

Looking for help with kitchen layout in MCM house

SJKLJK2305
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

New forum users here! We are gutting our current, outdated kitchen, and would very much appreciate advice from the Kitchen forum on a new kitchen layout. A few notes about the layout:

--There are two distinct spaces: kitchen, and adjoining family room (family room is an addition to the original house structure.
--To the left of the kitchen is a dining room (not labeled), which is accessed via the 3'6" opening.
--We would like to keep the wall that separates kitchen and dining room since I am a very messy cook, and entertain quite a bit!
--The kitchen has no exterior walls and so we don't need to worry about windows. Natural light is provided by one skylight (soon to be two skylights), and the wall of floor-to-ceiling windows in the adjacent family room. Floor-to-ceiling windows are also along the perpendicular wall from the dining room, which is also not shown here.
--Not sure how clear this is from the drawing, but in this proposed layout, the dishwasher is located along a counter which will have a breakfast bar into the family room, the sink is in the corner, we will have a 36" gas cooktop, a drawer-style microwave around the corner next to the pocket door, 2 wall ovens, pantry cabinets, fridge, and then maybe some counter/desk space along the dining room wall.
--We really wanted an island - even a skinny one - but were told by one designer that it would create big-time traffic flow problems, and would prevent us from having two cooks in the kitchen at once.
--The house is a Charles Goodman mid-century modern house, and we're looking for a "soft-modern" kitchen - clean lines, open feeling, but not too ultra-modern. We have some ideas on that, but wanted to tackle layout as step 1.

A few notes about us and how we use these two spaces:

--We are a family of 4 (10 yr old and 8 yr old) plus a dog.
--I am the primary cook, but sometimes I have helpers.
--I cook most meals from scratch, I bake from time to time (some during the week, definitely at birthdays and holidays) and we also do some convenience meals (the life of full-time working parents!). I love to cook.
--We entertain small groups (usually 1-2 other families) about once a month, and entertain big-time 2-3 times a year.
--Family and friends are constantly streaming into the kitchen for drinks and snacks while I'm cooking.
--My husband loves to perch in the kitchen - he's always taking up a corner somewhere while I'm making dinner!
--Homework and bill paying happen in the family room, and mail and clutter get dumped in both the kitchen and family room. It drives me crazy.
--We would like to have an eat-in area in the family room and still keep it as a place where kids can do homework, or curl up in a corner to read a book, or have guests sit at a breakfast bar while I'm busy in the kitchen.
--We really wanted an island, but were told by one designer that it would create big-time traffic flow problems, and would prevent us from having two cooks...

Comments (11)