SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

Help with "barn door" color, type for mcm home

rockybird
9 years ago

I have a midcentury modern home. I have been living without a bedroom door now for a couple years. There is a 4 ft. opening that opens into the living room. I actually like it a lot, but I would like a sliding barn door to help block the light out, and give some privacy, as much of the house is all glass and you can see into the bedroom from other areas of the yard.

I would like to cut the soffit at the edge of the vent and have the barn door slide up against the red rock. This will expose the red rock wall. The hardware will be recessed into the ceiling. I did have an architect and contractor look at this and they say it will work. I realize it will not be sealed against the wall.

The question is, what should I make the barn door out of? Should it just be the same color/ texture as the walls? Or should I do walnut? There is lots of walnut in the house (see pic of kitchen below), but will walnut look good against the red rock? Will it be too much walnut, or will it flow nicely?

I can only add the door now, if the contractors can accomodate the height for a future tile floor. I currently have concrete overlay, but will be tiling the entire house within 2 yrs.

Here's some pics of the living room and rock wall. Thanks for any suggestions!

View of opening from living room:

View from bedroom:

Closeup of rock wall:

walnut in kitchen:

walnut near a rock wall in kitchen:

view from bedroom into living room through opening:

Length of wall with opening along living room:

Comments (15)