SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beekeeperswife_gw

Stone being Repaired-Need help. Any experts here today?

beekeeperswife
10 years ago

Long story short....

Built new house.

Used fabricator that is not the builder's normal fabricator. I went with a better fabricator that did my last house. Paid a little more for them. They are really good. They are 1.5 hours away.

Chose Super White.

Installed in May 2012.

November 2012, heating season begins. Floor joists shrink due to builder not sourcing joists from place that dries wood long enough. Counter drops in one corner which results in one seam opening up.

Reported it to builder. They want to wait until end of heating season to call fabricator. Installation has one year warranty, I remind them, "better call and tell them".

They don't call to report the issue. (I did , but it needed to come from the builder, I guess).

June 2013-I finally get someone who has the "authority" to decide what to do come out from the builder. By now the seam has gone back together, can still see it is split a little, and it obviously is still split. It just doesn't magically grow back together.

By now, the 1 year warranty is up, this is 13 months after installation.

My fabricator's policy is that they are to be paid ahead of time to come out, we are 1.5 hours away for them. It was in their contract that the builder signed.

Warranty manager with builder states he refuses to pay for work ahead of time (and quite frankly, this builder refuses to pay for work, period. My cabinetmaker was supposed to be paid in 90 days, was paid 16 months and only when the owner went in to their office to find out why they wouldn't pay) Anyway, I digress..

The builder says he is having someone local come out to repair the seam. This is the company that when I saw samples of their seams in their showroom, I was horrified. This is one of the big reasons we did not use them.

They are coming out today to fix my seam. I explained to the woman setting the appointment on the phone the situation and told her I want to hear what his plan is before he touches my stone. I plan on hovering over him and peppering him with a million questions.

(I didn't make that too short did I?, well I did leave out a lot of the drama)

So, currently the seam is split, but it really doesn't look that bad, so what can I expect from this guy coming out today. What would you experts think is the right fix?

I don't want him to ruin my stone, damage my cabinets, or crack my tiles. But how the heck can he fix it without having it opened up wider to get the goo in there?

I'm also not convinced when winter hits again, that the joists will shrink again, and will the seam go again?

Thanks for all the advice on what is the right fix.

Comments (11)