SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bmorepanic

Finally, final inspection today.

12 years ago

As a lot of you know, we started off two years ago to simply paint the house. The painters found a failed important corner post. To replace the post and satisfy building codes, we needed to destroy and reconstruct the front porch including its foundation - its under the main roof of the house. A decision we made to have a contractor blow in insulation wrecked the exterior kitchen walls and a good portion of the cabinets due to mold. Because of other bad construction techniques and we ended up reframing about 30 feet of the exterior - partly in the kitchen. From the insulation, we had significant plaster damage in the entire house. Life happens when you least expect it - this mess started about three months after my father died.

As I look in my book-o-permits, we have had about 20 different permits for the original project, the kitchen expansion, mechanicals, changes and addons. One sub died, one quit, one committed suicide, two we "fired". We learned many new skills and did things we never contemplated - my favorite was renting a demolition hammer on Christmas eve (because we got an extra day for free) to remove a tile floor in the kitchen.

We thought we were spending $3k to paint, then $12k for the porch, then $15k for the porch and insulation, then more each issue or disaster but its been a total of nearly 50k for the porch, the kitchen, and repairing and repainting the rest of the house. There are other costs too - one broken foot, one dislocated hand, an infinite number of strained backs, a couple of lost clients and the resulting loss of income.

Today, hopefully, we will pass occupancy for the whole shebang and it will be over.

Comments (32)