SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Why is good soapstone so hard to find???

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

I'm in love with Cobra from M. Tex. I have a bid from them to ship me slabs. My fabricator heard the price ($45 per sq foot for materials) and he laughed out loud. He said he could get me something much cheaper and sent me out looking locally again.

Once again, nothing!!! It was so frustrating. Everything was very green (I want grey/black) and splotchy (I want some veining, minimal movement).

The worst of all is the incredible lack of knowledge of the salespeople. None of it will surprise you all here. I got the "soapstone is high maintenance" crap, the "it will etch and stain" crap, and worst of all the "it is all just soapstone, there are no varieties of soapstone" crap.

I had two people try to get me to buy slate instead. It was pretty, kind of looked like soapstone, but my gut instinct is that slate is not going to behave like soapstone. But you'd never know it from these salespeople. I pity the poor homeowner who makes a purchase decision based on the well meaning but ill informed salespeople I ran into today.

I guess I'm just going to choke on my checkbook and ship in the good stuff from M. Tex. why, o why can't we get some good soapstone in Kansas???

Anita

Comments (5)