SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy2262_gw

Having trouble deciding the color of my island

christy2262
13 years ago

I'll start by saying we're going to have dark, hand-scraped wood throughout the whole first floor, including the kitchen. I am planning on having white, shaker style cabinetry on all 3 walls of the kitchen, but thought a darker wood (possibly mahogany, dark coffee color) island would be a nice contrast. We're going to have lighter granite counters, so I thought it would contrast well with the island.

Our kitchen designer said there needs to be some differentiation between the floor and the island, or it will look stupid.

I have no idea what I'm doing, so I don't know if she's right or not, but I thought I'd really like the look of it. I know if we had a lighter, tile floor it wouldn't be an issue, but there's no way of making an easy transition from wood to tile with the way our floorplan is so open.

Any thoughts? Picutres? Suggestions?

I also thought of doing a light/sage colored island and using a baltic brown granite to tie it all together, but I'm afraid I'll get tired of something like that after a couple of years. I'm trying to stay as neutral and traditional as possible. Thanks so much!

Comments (2)