SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brickton

Range hood install panic

brickton
12 years ago

Oy vey y'all. The cabinets are coming Friday and I need some serious help with my range hood install.

I have a 30" Bosch with 450CFM that I bought off ebay. It came with supposedly a transition... that I am nearly 99% sure is not the right piece and has nothing to do with my hood. Maybe I'm not seeing it but I think this is for joining two vents together not for connecting venting to a hood.

On the hood, the size of the knock out opening is 3 3/4 by 7 3/4... which is totally not anything 'standard' that I'm finding in duct work. Here's the opening:

The manufacturer sells replacement parts for the transition which I could buy, but I'm worried it won't fit in my cabinet. The piece is for a transition to an 8" round pipe. There is a stud directly behind the hood's center so I planned to use two 90 degree elbows to offset the vent by a few inches. Since the run is so small (it's going up into a cabinet, hanging a left and going out the wall) I think this is fine. BUT the cabinet is only 15" and it is open above the cabinet, so I'm nervous that I won't be able to fit the transition + 8" 90 elbow. The elbow is about 10" high so that only leaves me like 3"-4" for the transition which according to this pictures seem like it might BARELY make it.. but it'd be crazy close. (Part 0101)

Questions:

Is 6" pipe okay for a 450CFM hood even if the manufacturer transition comes at 8"? I found all the pieces I would need at a home improvement store and I'm pretty sure they will fit in the cabinet, though attaching to the hood seems a bit dicey as I would have to snip and fold the ends of the transition I bought and screw through makeshift flaps. Is that okay? Do I just do that, tape it with metallic tape and call it a day?

Is a hole 3 3/4 by 7 3/4 a standard 3 1/4" x 10" connection and I just don't get how duct work attaches? Do I need the manufacturers transition?

What happens if I buy the manufacturers transition and that plus an 8" elbow won't fit height wise in a 15" cabinet?

Comments (5)