SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mickds

kitchen design - Remove a dining room?

9 years ago

We are planning on renovating our kitchen and some of the first floor. We live in Pittsburgh in a 1996 mid range home of about 2000 sq. feet. Most of the finishings are still builder grade, so this would be our first big upgrade.

Ive been reading through many of the posts here and am amazed at the wonderful knowledge base and how freely the ideas are shared.

With that being said, I'm posting my current floor plan that shows a wooden foyer, ceramic kitchen floor, and carpeted living room and family rooms. I am also posting our proposed redesign of the first floor which would incorporate handscraped hickory in the entire first floor in a medium brownish/cherry stain. That would be paired with new cabinets in an painted antique white glaze finish.

My questions for you wonderful experts are:

1) What are your thoughts on incorporating the dining room into the kithen? It just didn't make sense to me to have TWO tables four feet from each other??! Do you feel it would hurt resale value tremendously, or could we always just stage the living room as a dining room ?

2) Did we just design a very expensive BOWLING ALLEY?? I have a concern about the openness of the kitchen/family room combo. Does it strike you as too long?

3) As you can see, the sliding doors to the deck have been moved towards the family room area. Does it seem like they are intruding into the family room? It seems to make sense when I think about traffic flow through the house & out to the deck though. We would have gone with a single door, but we just bought beautiful Pella wood sliders last year & I have to part with them if I don't have to.

4) it is going to be a wide kitchen - does that pose a problem based on the measurements on the plans?

5) Do you have any other suggestions on layout that we may have not thought of? Are we missing a glaringly simple redesign solution?

Thank you all in advance for all you help!!

Comments (17)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County