SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
stretchad_gw

Help me find my inspiration kitchen!

stretchad
14 years ago

This whole kitchen thing makes me think I must be one of the most indecisive people ever....I am so torn as to what my look of the kitchen should be.

My home is a 1988 traditional/colonial house with golden oak all over. We're planning to replace our outdated, beat up orange oak baseboards and go with white, and are toying with the idea of extending the hardwoods in our kitchen and eat in area throughout the rest of the first floor. If we do this we'd likely go with a darker floor - mocha/espresso toned and I think it'll look amazing. BUT it's this idea of a darker floor that's giving me problems with my kitchen!

Originally I thought we'd go with a darker cherry cabinet with a wide stile shaker inspired door, but a little more on the modern side. Something that'd pair nicely with a lot of natural elements - tumbled stone, sage-green walls, perhaps a bamboo window covering. HOWEVER the stained wood color I love is the same color as what the floors would probably be, and I am not a fan of the monochromatic wood thing (I have this now, but in golden oak!). The only type of kitchen I have seen with dark floors are white kitchens. And, while I love white kitchens but I'm concerned this will be too formal for us, and impractical given my cookings style (messy!).

When I see rooms with darker cherry wood cabinets I like, the hardwood floor is always something lighter. IF I go the lighter route, I'd probably steer towards a maple due to its low grain and hardness...but when you pair light maple with the cabinets I like makes it feel too modern.

I have such an eclectic style in general (Pottery Barn meets West Elm & Pier 1) this whole kitchen design is tough. I just can't seem to figure out an in-between design here. Does anyone have any thoughts? Any inspiration for me?

Comment (1)