SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisa_mocha

Wallpaper focal wall for Bedroom?

lisa_mocha
14 years ago

Hi there,

I keep walking in our master bedroom and thinking 'Blah'!

I really don't want to re-paint in a dark colour (It's BM Navajo White...boring, however, I do prefer ligher colours) so am thinking again about doing a focal wall behind the headboard. Some options shown in the pics below...

1st pic) 'Modern' floral WP (other colour choices are available...I would choose more ivory/opal colour)

2) Trellis WP

Have also attached Pic of bedroom...

Will it look odd to have just have WM on the wall behind the bed?

Any suggestions on other wallpapers (on-line sites) or preferences for the 2 I've posted? The challenge seems to be is that so many wallpapers are available in showrooms to the Trade only.

I'm stuck in permanent state of indecisiveness these days...please help:)

Any help appreciated!

L.

Comments (26)

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi...Back with a couple more pics...
    One showing the 'headboard' wall (mirror could be moved)...but still not sure if WP ok just on this 1 wall.

Also-a picture of other drapes I have so I could incorporate something with blue in WP also.

Still searching for modern wallpapers...so many on-line!
    (and hard to tell colours!)

Lisa

• sable_ca
    14 years ago

If I had to choose, I'd pick the first paper; it's just prettier to my eyes.

But are you only searching online? Why don't you go to a good paint store that sells other decorating products, including wallpaper? I was at our Benjamin Moore store yesterday and was bowled over by the amount of wallpaper books they had. Too many to look at all of them! And stores will let you take the books home, so that you don't have to depend on an image on your computer screen.

Your bedroom is beautiful. And I love the second set of drapes that you showed.

• Related Discussions

Help selecting wallpaper for accent wall in small bedroom

Q

Comments (1)
    IMO a bedroom doesn’t have to go with the rest of the house and I happen to love that aqua but you will need that bedding too.
    ...See More

Help with wallpaper selection for bedroom feature wall

Q

Comments (6)
    What's your bedding? I wouldn't select wallpaper without already having an idea about bedding. You may select something you can't find anything that works with the wallpaper. This wallpaper will work with different colors of bedding. https://www.thibautdesign.com/catalog/product/details/product/thai_ikat_t4951/material/wallpaper/colorway/apple_green_8/ You could also use pattern on the window covering instead of wallpaper on the walls.
    ...See More

wall paper as a focal point wall

Q

Comments (8)
    I happen to love toile and have blue and white toile wallpaper in my bedroom. But yes, do it on all the walls, especially since the wall behind your bed doesn't leave much room for any sort of large-scale pattern. The mirrors and headboard take up so much of the space. You could also paper the room in grasscloth, which gives color and texture without a busy pattern.
    ...See More

Bedroom: Wall paper and table lamps?!

Q

Comments (19)
    So much better, so glad. 1. You could place your dresser on other wall as you enter and move chair to opposite side and create a little reading area. May have to play around with accessories, art, proportions and layout. Keep experimenting to get it right. 2. You could move chair closer to window, switch dresser to that wall and add a bench with large art on opposite wall. Then add crystal lamps to nightstands and you’re done. Pretty room!
    ...See More
  • graywings123
    14 years ago

I think it is a lovely idea, and a lovely room. The modern floral design is my preference as well.

At first I was going to write that it is sad that your bed is not on the opposite wall so that the wallpaper would be seen from the doorway. But the more I think about it, the the surprise of not seeing the paper until you turn around in the room intrigues me.

The wallpaper also saves you the decision of whether/what to place something above the bed.

• jant
    14 years ago

I think that could look great...the first one is wonderful although both would certainly be appropriate in the room.

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

We no longer had wp in the bedrooms but when we did, it was only on one wall as a accent wall (and behind the headboard). Your room is anything BUT "blah" :o Love the idea of the ivory/opal color paper. Do you have a photo of it?
    Monica

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've found a couple more types of WP that I like...

Love Kelly Wearstler trellis WM (the 3rd pic; Blue & WHite)...but...on the costly side (so this may be out!)

Also like the 1st below (graphic tile print), but colour may not be right...am searching one for something similiar in ivory/beige tones.

The 2nd damask style...I like the colours,but, too traditional(??)

{{!gwi}}

Other option is to resort to wainscotting and forget about WP.

Any thoughts on what style might work best for this bedroom?
    Thanks!

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I like the first wallpaper best. I think that the round shapes are more restful. The more geometric shapes are a bit busy for a bedroom.

• bunniesarefun
    14 years ago

Love your room! I like the first WP. I'm looking for something similar. Would you be so kind as to indicate where you found that pattern? Thanks!

• jlj48
    14 years ago

Sorry but I think your bedroom is gorgeous as is. Your bed is fabulous and I wouldn't want anything to compete with that. I don't see "blah" at all when I see your room. And I am a wallpaper lover. I agree with the idea to look at wallpapers at paint stores before considering the application, and certainly bring home samples.

• susieq07
    14 years ago

For a bedroom, the first one for sure!!

• jlc712
    14 years ago

I really like wallpaper in small amounts, so I like the idea of putting it on one wall. The first one is my favorite. Don't spend too much time looking online-- I think you need to get some samples that you can look at IRL. Your bedroom is gorgeous as is-- definitely not blah!

• suero
    14 years ago

I agree with Joanie38. Rather than wallpapering the headboard wall, I think that what you need is higher night tables, where the table height and mattress height are about the same.
    As a first cut, put a stack of books under the lamps so that the top of the lamp is about even with the top of the headboard. See if that pleases your eyes.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

I love the chrysanthemums, but I have to agree with joanie38 and suero--the problem isn't blahness, it's low night tables. Maybe a wide thin piece of artwork or mirror for above the bed head, too. You could even do a drape behind the headboard, but the nightstands are the first thing to work on.

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Print wallpaper as an accent looks best on an open wall with just one or two accent pieces in front of it like the photo of the wallpaper with the chair.

You already have a lot going on in the room, and print wallpaper would dilute the beautiful touches put into the room already, unless you got a print that was very, very subtle.

I agree that raising the night stands would be the better option. The room looks nice as it is but raising the nightstands so that the lamps stand out would give it more 'wow'.

• youngdeb
    14 years ago

I'd do both - raise the nightstands and the Chrysanthemum wp. And move that picture off that wall so you can see that gorgeous wp.

We did an accent wall in our bedroom (grasscloth) and I think it turned out really well. It grounds the bed, which like yours, is huge!

• lisa_mocha
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

The height of the nightstands has bothered me since we've gotten a new bed...
    Maybe that's just what the room needs...new nightstands!

Here was a pic of the old set-up. We had a queen size low bed...scale-wise, the nightstands worked. I also liked the bed between the windows, howeverm the new king-size with the nightstands are too 'squished' here.

When we changed to king size, we bought a new headboard (which just might get reupholstered yet! Not crazy on the colour of this one)& as several of you have noted, the tables are just too small.

I guess I should look for new ones before deciding on WP as maybe new nightstands, moving the long mirrow and hanging some pics are all that is needed.
    Oh boy...isn't DH gonna love this revelation...LOL:)
    I keep changing, but feel like I'm making absolutely no progress.

Have to add that my fave WP so far is the 1st one...
    the MFR is ROMO (out of the UK...so many great papers from there, but hard to find here in CA or the US)I'm loving WP though so maybe try to use in my home office whenever I take on dealing with that disaster!

Thanks again!
    L

• dilly_dally
    14 years ago

Remember CL is your friend. You may be able to sell your current ones and buy second had new ones and they would be practically free.

For a low cost option for this room maybe get two cheap round tables and cover them with a couple layers of sheer shimmer fabric. You need to spread some of the sparkle around the room. One reason the headboard wall looks 'blah' is that everything on that side is wood and ceramic and suede and you have the glass and mirror stuff all in one vignette between the windows.

--------------

*A question...........How new are the mosaic lamps? Are they new enough to return? They are gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous, but I am thinking that the glass lamp from Target might look better as two bedside lamps. (Target still has them.) They would really add that 'wow' factor to the headboard wall. Right now the impact of the glass lamp is diluted by being set on the mirrored table along with the mirrored jewelry box nest to it, in front of the wall mirror that has the mirror frame. That lamp has such a unique shape that is perfect when placed against a plain wall for use as beside lamps adding needed sparkle on that wall. I would angle the floor mirror further into the corner too.

Hope you don't mind the unsolicited lamp advice. Its just food for thought.

• squirrelheaven
    14 years ago

I think you need to accent the bed with a pillow, maybe something more striking included at the end, too, though I'm not sure what. Some color or even a neutral texture like fringe. Something with presence, long and narrow, above the bed. Maybe even a half-moon shape.

Right now, your bling is at the window area, with sparkly items and the high-contrast diamond pillow.

Very pretty room! Not sure you have to go to the extent of wallpapering. You don't want too much going on in there. I'd try bringing more focus to the bed first.

• htnspz
    14 years ago

I like the idea of wallpapering the room. Right now, the room is lacking a little pattern so I think that would help with the layering. I think it would be nice if you would add a painting. Maybe even punch up the color a little? Your wp idea reminded me of The Viceroy in Santa Monica:

• htnspz
    14 years ago

Adding a painting might help:

• htnspz
    14 years ago

maybe pink?

• nutmegxo
    14 years ago

I did not read through all the responses in here so not sure what progress has been made here. But I wanted to say that in my first house I wallpapered the wall behind my headboard in a pretty English floral paper with pale yellows and blues and the rest of the room was painted in a soft light blue-gray color. My bedding was solid cream color. The room looked really pretty and it definitely gave it a designer look! I am in a new house now, and over the years I have moved away from wanting to use wallpaper simply because I don't really like the look of it anymore and it is such a pain to remove! But I think if you are looking for that extra pizazz and want to add texture and visual interest then wallpapering that one wall would be excellent!

• bebetokids
    14 years ago

Would it look funny to wallpaper a large canvas (like they do with fabric) or use a gorgeous fabric the same way over your headboard on the wall? Lots cheaper and easier and changeable (hey is that a word?).

• kathleenca
    14 years ago

lisa-mocha, have you seen the December/January issue of House Beautiful? An article on a house decorated by Mary McDonald shows a to-die-for bedroom with one wall papered, on pp. 92-93. Part of the bedroom photo is shown in the link below, but it's a pale imitation of the magazine's & not as large.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedroom focal wall

• vampiressrn
    14 years ago

I also vote for the first wallpaper you posted and just the wall behind the headboard would be enough to punch it up a notch. Nice room!!!

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I prefer a 4 wall application of wallpaper as opposed to one focal wall ; I love the serenity and elegance of your room.

I definitely prefer the lighter colored draperies, they add to the luxe aspect of your room ; if you change them, I would consider removing the large dark euro pillows and inserting those in a lighter fabric, in a pattern similar to the wallpapers you are considering.....

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz