SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

Waste King disposal - too many models available - need advice

kaysd
11 years ago

I ordered all my major plumbing parts and am down to the miscellaneous "bits." We need a garbage disposal for our clean up sink. We had an ISE Badger (1/2 HP or 3/4 HP) from HD in the prior house, and that was okay, but the Waste King gets good comments here and has a better warranty and costs about the same on Amazon as the Badger costs at HD.

We rarely use a GD, as we scrape our plates into the trash before putting into DW, but we feel like we need a GD in case someone else rinses plates at the sink. I think a 1/2 HP or 3/4 HP unit will be plenty, although the larger models have longer warranties.

I also am confused about which mounting option to choose - the traditional three bolt method or EZ mount method. I don't care about ease of installation since the plumber will charge me the same price either way. A reviewer on Amazon noted that on the EZ mount option the rubber guard (the piece of rubber at the top of the opening that you push scraps through) is removable for cleaning, but it is not removable in the 3 bolt mounting option. However, all the parts in the 3 bolt option are stainless steel, whereas there are plastic parts in the EZ mount option. I'm not sure which option is better. Does anyone know if both options look the same from the top? I would rather see stainless steel than plastic when I look into the sink.

I would appreciate any recommendations for models. We are 4 weeks into the remodel and I am overwhelmed by all the decisions we still have to make, so it would be nice to knock one of the little items off the list.

Comments (14)