SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
chocolatebunny_gw

How many of you have a garbage disposal?

chocolatebunny
13 years ago

Just wondering for all of you that have redone your kitchen if you put in a garbage disposal.

I have a garbage disposal that I don't use a lot, mainly b/c we have a lot of problems with it. We've already had to replace it 2x (our house is only 12 years old; we had to replace it once b/c I turned it not knowing there was a spoon in it) and our plummer knows us on a first name basis b/c it is constantly leaking.

Our current sink is an overmount that is 8 inches deep. I would like to get a new deeper sink when we replace the countertops (also considering going with an undermount this time) so I know that will cut into the space underneath and there may not be a lot of room for a disposal.

We're not looking to sell our house soon, but you just never know so I always like to keep resale in mind. Would it be wrong to completely get rid of it?

Thanks!

Comments (35)

• lisadlu
    13 years ago

I've had a disposal in every house I've ever lived in from childhood to now. I never even thought about it until rinsing dishes in my MIL sink with NO disposal. I had to capture the food residue and toss in the can, not very appealing. To me it is a non-negotiable, if a house didn't have one I would install one pronto.

• leela4
    13 years ago

We have had a garbage disposal in this house for 30 years; amazingly, it never leaked and we never had any problems with it. (hope I'm not jinxing things by saying that) We are getting a new one with this remodel. That said, we use it daily, but just for small things as we are vegetarians, have a septic tank, and DH is quite vigilant as to what goes in there. I do like having one, though.

• Related Discussions

Better to have garbage disposal or not?

Q

Comments (8)
    My understanding is a bit different in a few respects, (though my knowledge is admittedly limited): Putting ice cubes into a disposal won't sharpen anything, there's nothing to sharpen. Ice, being softer than metal, wouldn't sharpen "blades" anyway, if there were any. Garbage disposals have dishwasher connections for convenience of the connection only. The dishwasher could just as easily be connected with a high loop to the actual drain line with a wye, so long as that connection is behind a trap. There's often not room under a sink to have a run of drain pipe before the trap to make such a connection. Unless Bhamster is living in an old building with small drain lines, I don't think there should be any problem with using a disposal. Be sure that things like stringy veggies, grease, bones, fruit pits, egg shells, etc. go into the trash. What does get put into the disposal should be in smallish pieces and added only a small amount at a time.
    ...See More

Anyone have Ticor S405D sink w/garbage disposal?

Q

Comments (2)
    I have the Ticor S405D with an InSinkErator Evolution Septic Assist GD under it. I did not order anything "extra" for my sink...I ordered the sink independently of my KD & GC. Now, it's possible that my KD ordered "extras" when she ordered the GD, but I couldn't find any in the 36 pages of supplies & installation! When your KD says "fitting tools"..does s/he mean tools for installing the GD? If so, shouldn't your GC/plumber already have the tools needed to do the job? Or is the term "fitting tools" used to mean adapters, etc.? As I said, as far as I know I didn't need anything "extra". Maybe everything is included with InSinkErator GDs? What "brand" are you getting? Here are some pics...
    ...See More

Do most of your have a garbage disposal

Q

Comments (62)
    BTW, I'm not sure if you can still get these now that I think Target owns the Smith & Hawken name, but we have big plastic compost bins from Smith & Hawken (which actually came from our city through a discount program) that do a great job of protecting the compost pile so it's not out in the open but is still getting air. They're very low-tech---literally just a piece that goes on the bottom of the pile, then three stacked side pieces and a lid that can all be taken apart and hosed off---but they sit in the back corner of our yard and are very unobtrusive, and have yet to be bothered by anyone (including our overly-inquisitive dog, who is well aware that food scraps go in, but still leaves the bins be once the lids are closed). We haven't had fly issues, though we do occasionally get ants---when that happens, we shift the balance to a little more "brown" (leaves, yard waste, plus coffee grounds) and a little less "green" (food waste) for a week or two and it generally tapers off. (I also occasionally spray the edge of the bins with limonene oil, which we also use in our garden on occasion for ants.) However, we also live in a very moderate climate, so it rarely gets above 80 or below 40---I'm sure this helps with bugs and smells, too.
    ...See More

How do you dispose of garbage?

Q

Comments (35)
    I wish I could compost again, I have a perfectly good composter but we have problems with skunks around here so everything goes into the garbage and out to the curb. The city even passed a by-law where all our trash has to go into hard sided bins, no plastic bags at the curb to help stop the skunk problem. When they tore some old buildings down along the riverfront the rats started moving up into the neighbourhoods. My neighbour 2 yards over killed 9 rats in one day, the rats got as far as the yard next door. The city rat inspector came in and said there were no burrows in my yard but he said they were next door so he laid bait along the fence line. He said I was fortunate I did not have a pool or a vegetable garden and my composter was dry at the time since I was only putting dryer lint and tea bags in it In the County some areas have green bins with curb side pick up for kitchen waste. I wish we could have that.
    ...See More
  • allnewappliances
    13 years ago

I always had one growing up too....and could not live without it. If I bought a house without one, I would just install one.

• bostonpam
    13 years ago

I have disposals in both sinks. I wouldn't want a kitchen that didn't have one in it. My last disposal lasted 11 years and no problems -still working. We have rentals with college students and they put all sorts of things in the drain and turn on the disposal. If it stops, 1st take out item and try reset button. If it still doesn't work then use the special "key" to start the blades rotating. Maybe that's all you had to do with the spoon episode. I have had much worse done in rentals and the disposals are still working.

I have a Shaws's undermount sink and the biggest insinkerator disposal and it all fits.

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

We have one but will NOT be putting it back in with the new kitchen. All of that food really gunks up your pipes... they are a "plumber's nightmare" What we cant compost can go in the trash - it's really not that difficult.

• chocolatetruffle
    13 years ago

I wouldn't be without one. We do have problems from time to time - a popsicle stick or bone will get caught - but I they were invented is because of dishwashers and the focan't imagine not having one. My plumber told me the reason od residue generated by them. My plumber also told me there's lot of things you shouldn't put down them - pasta (because it swells and clogs pipes), eggshells, which get caught in gunk inside pipe walls and then "catch" other things going down, causing a clog, etc. We've had the same plumber for 20 years and he likes to pontificate, but I've learned a lot from him. I used to scrape plate waste except for bones into the disposal, and now I don't. Plate waste goes in the trash, and it's just the smaller particles that go down the disposal now.

We just got a deep, 10" undermount sink and there's still plenty of room for the disposal.

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

we had one in our first home, don't have one in our temporary house and don't miss it at all. it would clog ...often. we are on septic for the new house so i didn't feel the need to install another disposal. it's not like it's a dishwasher or something that's REALLY a must!

• willis13
    13 years ago

Not me, it didn't even cross my mind :). It wasn't until I discovered this forum that I realized people were still using them! None of my friends have them either. I guess it's because we have a fantastic waste/recycling program, and we (have to) compost all organics. I've also heard they are a huge problem to municipal waste disposal systems.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

I've always had one except for a couple of places many years ago that we rented. I wouldn't be without it.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

A garbage disposal is one of two kitchen electrical devises (the other being the fridge) I hope never to give up

I am otherwise a complete luddite. I don't have a microwave. I never run my dishwasher. I am clueless about 90 percent of the cool gadgets people on this forum talk about.

That said, I LOVE having a garbage disposal. Mine does not end up taking much material by volume (I compost) and is "babied" in terms of my keeping anything fibrous or otherwise potentially damaging out of it. But not having to worry about any crumb or seed that might go down the drain is priceless.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

We most definitely did! We did not have one for the first 12 years in our current house b/c they were against code at the time we built, but I had had one in my townhouse and previous apartments and loved them (a 10-year span)! I missed a GD almost every day of those 12 years I was without!

Yes, there was an occasional spoon in them, but they never "broke", never had a clog, and never had a leak.

We put one in the main sink only of our new kitchen and I now regret not putting one in the Prep sink as well. It's on our list to do in the next couple of years.

What type disposal did you have? Was it an InSinkerator "Badger"? Those are the lowest end GD you can get (and the ones builders use) and are notorious for having problems. If you "move up" to InSinkerator's "Evolution" line and w/at least 3/4hp, I think you will find it makes a huge difference. One "improvement" is that the "Evolution" GDs grind up the food much finer than the "Badgers".

We now have an "Evolution Septic Assist" and have had zero problems in the 2 years we've been in our new kitchen. No, not every single thing goes down it (like celery), but most do, including veggie & potato peels.

The other thing to remember is to use them properly, be sure you have water running at all times while the GD is running, run the GD until it completely clears the disposal (you can tell by sound), I usually run it a few seconds longer as well, turn off the GD and keep running the water a few more seconds. Don't over stuff the GD. The key, I think, is to be sure everything is ground up and the pipes are cleared b/f turning off the water.

• davidro1
    13 years ago

Based on the way the question was phrased, it's going to get more positives confirming GD'S are good, than any other point of view.

Similar questions have been asked, and they produced a different set of viewpoints. This is the 4th question in 18 months dealing with the need or use for GD's.

I have no GD, never have, and no-one I know today has one or wishes to have one. Maybe there's still a lot for me and for all my acquaintances to learn. I'm puzzled why having a GD means "not having to worry about any crumb or seed that might go down the drain" Currently, I don't worry at all about "any crumb or seed that might go down the drain" and in fact I enjoy sending little things down the drain. I also happen to know a lot about plumbing. Also, when I took apart my kitchen drainpipes to reconfigure them, I saw there was no buildup of organic matter in the pipes. I've never heard that one needs a GD for small organic matter. I can dispose of some food waste down the drain easily (without a GD), and dispose of the rest easily by putting it into any old spare plastic bag.

All of the above posts each mention what doesn't go into a GD. That reason is enough to make me think I'm just as well off not having one. It sounds like a learning curve that I don't need to try to learn! This opinion of mine is similar to many others expressed in other threads. It's not just voluntary simplicity. I like buying gadgets and expensive things too. I have a lot of them in my kitchen already. A disposal is the category of least desired thing in my new kitchen.

Some people like them, some see no need for them, and some even dislike them.

hth

• ellendi
    13 years ago

I don't like garbage disposa. Just a personal quirk. However, we have the pipes installed for one if ever we want to install one in the furture.

• chocolatebunny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The one that I broke with the spoon was the lovely "Badger", builder-installed special. The one we currently have is a Waste King (as was the one before that too) and it is better than the Badger (much quieter too) but we have duct tape around it to keep it from leaking! So far it is holding up, but I am afraid it is going to explode one day!

I baby it too (and use it exactly how it is supposed to be), but it's other people that come to my house and try to help out that drive me crazy. I have relatives that put EVERYTHING down the disposal - pasta, lettuce, you name it...and that's when the problems start. I would love to send them the bill next time I need to replace it.

I ask only because since I want to get a new sink, I am assuming I would have to get a new GD too as I would not want to reuse the duct-taped one. I was also asking to see if one would fit with an undermount sink. Since I grew up without one, it wouldn't for me be "horrible" without it, but it's probably one of those things I would miss.

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

"The one we currently have is a Waste King (as was the one before that too) and it is better than the Badger (much quieter too) but we have duct tape around it to keep it from leaking!"

Really sounds like it is not installed correctly.

I cannot recall having one leak in my residence or any of my rental houses, and they all have a GD.

The one in my house has a bad bearing, adn is ging to die soon.

I will just wait for it to finish failing and put in another.

Get at least one horsepower and a stainless grinding chamber.
    Even cherry pits do not bother it (or olive pits).

• Buehl
    13 years ago

I would get a new one, definitely! If you've been having issues with the Waste King, I would recommend trying the InSinkerator Evolution series...

As to using it w/an undermount, that's how mine is setup. Undermount stainless steel sink (deeper bowl is 9") with the GD under the large (and deeper) bowl.

• eastbaymom
    13 years ago

I did not grow up with a disposal, and I just spent two weeks in Europe where I stayed in two homes (one very old, one brand new). Neither kitchen had a disposal, and it was not a problem for either.

I think the key is that if you're not going to have a disposal, then you absolutely need a pullout or freestanding trash can. Because both kitchens had that, both functioned well.

So I don't consider a disposal essential. Even within the US, it's probably a regional thing.

Why do I have one in my kitchen? Well... my husband is the primary cook. He grew up with a disposal, so he insisted that we install a new, heavy-duty one as part of this remodel. What I like about it most so far is that it is QUIET!

I don't know if that's because we installed an air switch instead of controlling it from a wall switch, or if it's because our new sink has much better sound dampening than the old one, or if it's the brand of disposal we got... but I am happy with it.

The other argument that convinced me of the wisdom of a disposal in our situation is that our foundation is concrete slab (no basement, no easy access to pipes). I can't imagine what upheaval a serious plumbing problem could cause. In a home with a basement, when repair can be done from below, the disposal may not be as important.

• barbcollins
    13 years ago

Gotta have one.

That said I am gentle with ours because we are on septic. I always scrape plates and don't put any grease down the drain.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I have a waste basket and a compost bin. That's all I need. I am a big girl now and I can remove gunk from my sink drainer all by myself even if my fingers have to touch it.

There's a "Dead Zone" in the Gulf of Mexico because of organics, wastes, chemicals, whatever traveling to it via the Mississippi. This is a simple way to help stop adding to the organic material making its way into the Mississippi.

And composting is much quieter than running a disposal.

• John Liu
    13 years ago

I have one, it clogs up a lot, so I don't use it much. The last place didn't have one. With or without disposal, is about the same for me. I don't find it a problem to shake the sink strainer over the garbage can.

Just leave room for a disposal, so the next person can install one if desired.

• plllog
    13 years ago

A really good garbage disposer isn't going to gunk up pipes and plumbing that were designed for this kind of waste.

I have half and half. As others have said, not having one is no big deal. I do try to put my large vegetable waste in the compost, but it's city pickup, and "vegan". Yucky neglected leftovers go down the disposer rather than decaying in my garbage bin (eeew!). And sometimes when I just have one onion peel, or something like that, I just don't want to carry it down to the bin. It's too hot to leave it to accumulate, and I'm not rabid enough a recycler (constant, but not rabid) to put it in the fridge. So I have an Evolution in my clean-up sink, and not in my prep sink (though the good advice here is that one should do both--I made sure a disposer could be put in later). And every now and then I find myself pitching something across the way from my prep station into the clean-up sink for the disposer.

We have a lot of gardeners in the forum, and a lot of rural people, who have composters, or even compost piles, which they tend lovingly. A lot of disposer threads turn into compost threads.

• cindyandmocha
    13 years ago

I didn't put in one -- I put in TWO. I've been without a disposal for about 15 years and I reeeeeally miss it. I did some composting for a while and then dropped off when my garden wasn't so big anymore. I can't wait to have one for each sink now. I don't have to worry anymore about something slipping down the drain and causing a rotten clog.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

We have two. We almost didn't put one at our prep sink, and DH actually is the one who said we would be sorry if we didn't.

I am very glad I listened to him on this one.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I have one and could not imagine life without...

I live in the country with a septic system. I never put
    grase or any thick lard type stuff down there. It would
    ruin the pipes and the entire plumbing.

Which is why it is considerd NOT eco-friendly. They
    say if you live in the city it is really bad for the
    city wide system. I mean "Bad" environmentally. I believe
    because the fools (non garden webbers) who put grease
    down the drain or thick lard that can truly ruin pipes
    and city wide plumbing. Some cities are trying to ban them.

I am fortunate to have one. I love it.

• barbcollins
    13 years ago

"Some cities are trying to ban them".

The problem with that is you will still have the idiots (not GW's) who try to put stuff down the sink they shouldn't.

• ebean
    13 years ago

nyc home here. and the new kitchen will not have a garbage disposal. i made sure to have a pullout garbage can put next to the dishwasher.

• tracey_b
    13 years ago

This thread is perfect timing for me--our new house is about finished. Code in our area won't allow it, so a GD would have to be put in after it's been inspected for CO. We'll also be on septic for the first time. Our builder put in wiring for one because we originally said we wanted it, but now I'm wondering if I can't manage without one. I always scrape my plates into the trash anyway (which will be a pull-out next to the sink). Any residue left after that would simply wash down the drain, right?

I've never poured standing grease down a drain, but what do you do with the greasy residue? Do you wipe it completely out before washing? I usually do wipe it out, but haven't been meticulous about it, but now that we'll be on septic, I'm worried about the little bit left behind after pouring out grease and a light wipe. I usually save the lightly soiled napkins from a meal to use to wipe out greasy pans during cleanup. (Hubby's finally learned not to throw away a napkin that only kissed his lips :-) Of course, I don't do this when we have guests; he'd be horrified.)

• terilee
    13 years ago

My mom had a GD which always clogged or had problems. She finally took it out and was rid of the problem. In my 30 odd years in my last home I didn't have one and I didn't miss it one bit. Now, in my newly renovated kitchen (moved back into my mom's old house), I have opted to forgo a new disposal installation. There's a pull out beside the sink. I always believe that less is more...especially in gadgets that are prone to clogging or breaking. I don't have an ice maker/water dispenser in the door to my new Miele refigerator for the same reason. The apple doesn't fall from the tree...I feel like my mom....with less gadgets, but higher quality materials. :)

• beachpea3
    13 years ago

A new garbage disposal is no longer an option in my town and many neighboring towns. We are all on septic systems - there is no town water or sewer system. Once a "grandfathered" disposal dies (which ours did) it is not able to be replaced. I really do not miss it a bit. I thought I would ...but like others have said ...between composting and a pull out waste basket - we are covered!

• colickyboy
    13 years ago

I'm completely ignorant on garbage disposals and am in the same boat (considering one).

Those who love GDs - are there rules about what can go in and what cannot? I have 6 kids and a wife and rules are invariably "forgotten". Also, what are the Top 3 reasons to get one? I assume #1 is "I don't have to touch the sink strainer" followed closely by #2 "I don't have to touch the garbage pullout in order to throw out garbage" although that doesn't seem correct if you still have to sort what can go in the GD and what still needs to go in the garbage.

Those who don't care for GDs - is your opinion b/c yours broke or clogged pipes? And if yours did break, was it b/c it was an old/cheap type? Has anyone had a GD break/clog pipes that was one of the higher-end types? In other words, would you change your mind about GDs if they didn't break/clog pipes?

• sochi
    13 years ago

Never had one, never considered having one installed. I don't know if I've ever even seen one. We have curb side compost pick-up, so there really isn't a point in a disposal (at least not that I know of). Ignorance is bliss perhaps.

• Debbie Downer
    13 years ago

Never had one, never will - just seems like one more thing to break and have to maintain. All veg material goes to the compost pile. Resale Schmesale! You can't anticipate everyone's whims - I don't think they cost all that much if someone wants to get one.

• artemis78
    13 years ago

I grew up with one but have never had one as an adult. (We do have one at work, though.) We don't plan to include one in our remodel, as we live in an area where water flows directly into oceans and bays with pretty minimal treatment during the rainy season, and the organic material that gets into the water system through disposals causes huge issues with those ecosystems. Probably less of a concern if your community doesn't have that challenge, although they are never great from an environmental perspective.

Generally, the biggest "pro" is that you can rinse plates into the sink. However, since you're not supposed to put fat, oil, or grease down the drain (at least where we live---HUGE campaign on this right now), I actually find that this kind of frustrating since you need to pay attention to what it is on the plate, and scrape it into the food waste or garbage if it's heavy on any of those. At that point, I'm just as happy scraping all of the plates since it means I don't have to think about it. At home, we just keep an old spatula near the sink and scrape into the green bin.

The big con besides the environmental concern is the pipes (be it yours or the city's---many older cities have ancient pipes, which is often why they're banned where they are). We also didn't see a good reason to add another electrical item to the kitchen, but we're minimalists on that front. The other plus for us was that we have a small kitchen, and not having a disposal means we can have a pullout trash can under our sink. (You can probably swing this with some careful planning and a GD, but it's definitely trickier.) We did have problems growing up with silverware falling unnoticed into the sink and the disposal grinding them inadvertently (I think I went off to college with lots of chewed up spoons!) but that's pretty easily avoidable. I also recall stone fruit pits and other such things causing problems, but newer disposals may not have that issue.

So basically:

CONS: Environmental impact, clogged pipe potential, energy use, space
    PROS: Convenience

...but then that's probably true of many appliances we use! :)

• plllog
    13 years ago

Rules... You're supposed to be able to put celery stalks and corn cobs down the Insinkerator Evolution (and, I believe, the Viking that inspired it). Celery is more generally a no-no because the strings would catch in the mechanism rather than grinding, and a cob would just be too hard and tough. They also allow pork and turkey bones.

Operating rules: Always use plenty of water, and have that water going into the unit. (I know nothing about batch feed units, and if they have their own water or think they don't need it or whatever. I'm talking about open disposers here.) I always have things to rinse while it's on and am careful not to cup the rinse water or interrupt the flow, so that I'm not just using the water for the disposer. Be careful not to lose spoons, rings, etc., down it, and make sure they're not in there before you turn it on. Always unplug the disposer before putting your hand in to manually clear it if it gets stuck (a rare occurrence with a good unit, but accidents happen). There should be a reset button which you need to press to turn the unit back on after it quits from jamming, or whatever. Make the switch for the disposer hard to confuse with a light switch (air switch, location or whatever). Don't press things down into a running disposer (safety).

Other than the current height of the art, here's a general list of what shouldn't go down a disposer:

• Nothing very stringy like celery, strings from peas and beans, whole asparagus, etc.

• No big, hard pits, like from stone fruits.

• Nothing very hard like mammal bones or turkey carcass. Bird bones, which are hollow and delicate, like chicken bones are all right.

• No big fibrous things like pineapple leaves or artichoke leaves or banana peels

• Not too much of a combination. One carrot top should be okay, bunches of carrot tops, not so much. Ten potatos' peels should be fine, especially if you grind as you go. A hundred lb. bag of potato peels, not so much. Don't stuff the disposer. Put some down, run with water, put some more and run again.

• No liquid fats--for the pipes. The disposer doesn't care.

• Some people here say you should not put eggshells in, but that one depends on the quality of the machine, how much water you use, and what kind of other cloggy crud you're putting down that you shouldn't. If you're pouring down grease (some of which can come from soaps), or flushing shells that aren't completely ground up through, they'll settle and clog the pipes. If they're thoroughly ground and you're using the disposer regularly for plenty of other stuff, it'll push the shells on through and they won't clog. Or something like that. Pipe clogs can happen with fibrous peels if they're not ground well, also. A poor quality disposer is a poor idea.

What can go in:

• Table scraps other than bones, execpt for small birds' (chicken, squab, etc.)

• Peels

• Leaves

• meat

• "science projects"

• starches (with lots of water--you don't want them turning into glue in the...

• bethohio3
    13 years ago

I like having a garbage disposal, although I didn't have one growing up. The first house I bought did not have a garbage disposal--I think it was about $250 to put one in--I definitely wouldn't consider it an issue for resale since it's a relatively low cost change (assuming there is power from the dishwasher).

Until this thread, I hadn't realized there were places that didn't permit them. In our house (new construction 3 years ago) the builder just assumed we were putting one in.

We don't have a prep sink, but if we did, I'm sure I'd want a GD there as well. I have a single bowl sink, and one of the reasons (not the major one, though) is that I like having a GD.