SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenergwen

Is too much of a good thing just *too* much? (Rug Question)

gardenergwen
15 years ago

I am thinking about purchasing a rug for the front room of our house that serves as a multi-purpose music, school, and computer room but I'm questioning whether it will be just too much of the same.

It currently has a lovely Pottery Barn rug in it which never seems to fit because of the pastel-like nature (the rest of the house as you'll see below has very strong, dark jewel tones). Therefore I am constantly looking for other options and I found a rug today that I really like. The only problem is that it looks very much like what we already have in the rest of the main floor.

Here is the current more pastel toned Pottery Barn rug currently in the room in an 8x10 size:

The adjoining kitchen breakfast area has this 6x9 rug under our dining table and a smaller version by the sink:

The living room has this Crate and Barrel rug which has this pattern all over the 8x10 size (bad picture but the colors match closely those in the breakfast area):

And here is the rug I am considering for the front room of our home:

Obviously I like the dark black background with jewel/earthy tones on top. The question is  Is this too much of a good thing? I'm terrible with decorating decisions - especially breaking out of my "comfort zone" and feeling like I have a sense of putting together the "right" patterns and colors and making them flow from room to room.

I really appreciate any advice or insight into how you all find ways to make your rooms flow seamlessly from one to another.

Thank you!

Comments (3)