SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kayec28

Please convince me a freestanding range can look good!

kayec28
14 years ago

It's crunch time and I have to make a decision on a range. I had my heart set on a slide-in range until I went appliance shopping. Yikes! The cheapest one I've found so far is 1200.00, and judging by the ratio of slide ins to freestanding ranges available in the stores, they're just not that common around here. And because they're not that common I have no negotiating power with the salesmen--no luck with inquiring about scratch and dents, closeouts, floor models etc. Freestandings I've looked at range anywhere from 700-900 but could be as cheap as 500, which is a big difference in price. But...I'm wondering if I'll forever be sorry if I don't suck it up and shell out an additional 4-5 hundred dollars to get the slidein. Unfortunately money is tight and those few hundred dollars aren't something I can shrug off lightly. I still have to buy a fridge, dishwasher and hood. I thought about buying freestanding now and going back and putting a slidein next year when finances are back to normal, but all my research tells me that switching from freestanding to slideins can't be done without a major expense and reworking of the cabinets.

Am I overthinking this? Do most of you have freestanding ranges in your kitchen and they look just fine?

I'm so afraid of making, to borrow a phrase from Lou Holtz, "a 20 year mistake" because of shortsightedness(and short funds) now. Any advice? Any pictures of your perfectly lovely kitchen with a freestanding range? Thanks! And help!

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz