SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beckyg75

Is your white kitchen floor impossible to keep clean?

beckyg75
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

This forum has been so very helpful and I'm already indebted to many of you for advice and help (and also, before I registered to post and was just lurking, to everyone who posted their gorgeous kitchens and baths!)

I have a relatively small kitchen (about 12x12 - hey, it is an apartment, not a house!) There are 2 doors opening into the kitchen. One is a room with a dark stained wood floor, the other is an entry hallway connected to the foyer, that has a kind of brown limestone, but a totally different brown than the floor.

The cabinets we picked for the kitchen are walnut, and the counter tops will be some kind of marble, still trying to decide between calacutta, vermont danby, or carrera.

What color floor should we use? I was thinking a white or off-white large tile would fade away and look good with the countertops. Also, it won't conflict with either of the brown floors OR the brown walnut.

However, I am really worried that every speck of dirt, cracker crumbs, etc. will show up on the floor. I don't want to be a slave to keeping the floor looking crumb free. In fact, in my last kitchen I had an ubatuba green tile floor and counters, and I LOVED it because it didn't show a thing! But I really want to go with light countertops this time.

If I did the floor in a 16x16 white tile, so there won't be many grout lines to get dirty, what kind of stuff will show up?

Do you regret having a white floor in the kitchen?

Please DON'T tell me that you like to see every crumb so you can clean it up - that is not my personality.

OR, do crumbs not show up as much as I think they will?

OR, would it look bad to use a granite on the floor, like "snow white" granite that has a lot of speckles? Would that clash with the countertops?

Comments (25)