SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
boone_2009

Backsplash - ss or solid surface?

boone_2009
10 years ago

In one of my previous threads, I asked for suggestions for an easy-to-clean backsplash and got many very helpful responses.

I've researched all the suggestions with their respective pros and cons and have reluctantly narrowed my choices for the cooktop area to two materials - stainless steel or Corian ( solid surface). Only thing is I worry about the look :-(

In an ideal world - make that fantasy world - I'd wave a wand and all the tile would be cleaned, just like that. But since I live in the real world ( at least for now - no telling what will happen as the reno drags on), I've let go my creative tile ideas for the cooktop alcove. I'll still have subway tile ( white with light grey grout) on the rest of the backsplash areas ( there are 3 small ones, separate and independent of the cooking area) but I know that I cannot, must not, succumb when it comes to the cooktop alcove :-).
My tile installer, on the other hand, thinks I should go with the subways here as well and he also mentioned a central focal point using tile ( which I wonder might be a bit outdated?). The idea of cleaning grout again gives me the heebie-jeebies ( we had tile there before).

But ( and you all knew that was coming) - I also know that this area can become Boring Central with either of my current choices ..or Garish Central, for that matter.

So....

Should I go with ...

1) ss sheets ( all matte or alternating matte/glossy patterns) all over - back, sides, ceiling ( I worry about the glossy ss)

2) ss tiles/sheet in a broad band about a foot in height, across the bottom of the cooktop backsplash, with same white subway tile above ( I thought of extending the band to the wall on either side, as well) and ss sheet/tile for ceiling. This way, the look will be more uniform throughout the kitchen, yet I'll still have ss in the major 'splash' areas and not so much of the white subways to clean.

3) Corian all over - back, sides, ceiling ( don't like this much, I confess, as I can't find a suitable color)

4) Corian ( white) on ceiling only with ss on back and side walls ( tile? sheet?), DH wants Corian or ss sheet or something similar on ceiling as he is the one who cleans it for me ( sweet guy) and understandably does not want tons of grout there.

5) Finally, the only alternative to ss or Corian that appealed to me was to use big porcelain tiles, say 9 by 12 or larger, for back and side walls with ss /Corian above on ceiling OR big tile all over ( grout will be much less on ceiling, too, for DH) - only thing is I don't know what color to pick.
I found a pretty one that looked like marble, at Lowes - it has white and grey in it and this would tie in with the white subways and the grey in the brick and grout lines as well as the grey-white Silestone lagoon countertop.

I know that ss tiles will have grout lines but am thinking that if I go with a dark gray ( ?epoxy) grout, I could wipe them clean easier than ceramic tile.

I know nothing about photoshopping , forgive me, or I would do those clever things the rest of you do with schematic representations :-).
I have a pic of the tile I saw at Lowes, somewhere in my files - will attach it in next post as soon as I find it.

I'm posting a pic of my newly-cabineted :-) cooktop alcove - countertops and cooktop are not yet in, as you can see.
All other cabs in rest of kitchen are white.
Floor is porcelain tile.
Appliances are ss.

Thank you and sorry for such a long post.

Comments (10)