SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vera123_gw

Need advice to makeover my living room

vera123
14 years ago

You helped me with my kitchen back in the Spring, and now I need your wonderful advice for my living room makeover.

The room is about 26 by 14, and the picture window faces west. We recently got a new sofa, chair and a half, plus a leather chair so those have to stay. We have a large wall unit to hold the TV and stereo equipment and that has to stay too since there's no other place to put it.

Here is my list of concerns:

I want to paint the room as well as the crown molding. Paint colors for the room? I'm thinking a neutral beige/taupe/sesame with a white crown molding. Should I paint the picture window wall a darker color since the sofa is a camel color?

What kind of drapes should I get? The ones that are there now are on a traverse rod. They were expensive and are about 4 years old. I think they might still look ok with a darker wall? I hate those tassels on the valances and am tired of those scarves my friend put up a few years ago. The window faces west, is quite large, and I do need to be able to shut them.

I think I need darker tables. It seems like everything is just too light and needs something darker than the light oak ones I currently have.

The fireplace wall is paneled in Ash and DH will not let me remove it. What do I do with it? Someone on here suggested a few years ago to get those rustic grates that are above the mantle and I did do that. Someone has also suggested I add a lighter back panel to the built in shelves but I don't know if I should do that. We would love to make-over the fireplace stone too, but have no clue what direction to go. What about the fireplace screen? We have 2 cats and the one is such a pain he would get into it without a screen. I currently have a very small rug in front of the fireplace because of a spark that burned a small hole years ago. Does a rug work with carpet?

I have a built in cabinet near the front door with a planter on top. I currently have silk greenery in there, but am thinking it could use an update to something else. I never knew what to do with that corner. I do think the chair and half should be angled. We just had the carpets cleaned, and the carpet cleaners positioned it & until the carpet finishes drying I can't move it since it's up on protectors.

I am definitely moving the computer desk near the foyer out of the room. I really need suggestions for what to put there. I thinking narrow table of some sort with a lamp on it. A friend suggested a little bar area but I don't know if that would work.

We don't use our front door very much but would like to possibly take out the carpet in the doorway and put another surface down and make it a foyer area. Any thoughts?

Sorry this is so long but I'm feeling overwhelmed with all these things to figure out.

I have a link in Photobucket for pics. I don't know how to put a pic directly in my post.

As always, I'm grateful for the help and suggestions!

Here is a link that might be useful: Living Room

Comments (14)