SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
macybaby_gw

Help for Dining room - part 3

macybaby
12 years ago

After much thought (and being told not to be stupid by friends) I accepted that painting my 1917 tiger oak veneered sideboard was probably not the thing to do.

But I could not think of a way to make that piece work in my dining room as it was coming together. I liked the idea of the plate cabinet on the one wall, and a sort of built in look buffet on the other wall with the stained table in the middle.

Yesterday I did some online surfing, and discovered that my table style is Duncan Phyfe (or federal) so for curiosity, I googled to see what sideboards in that style would look like.

Scrolling down, I came across this one.

and I realized I have a similar piece out in the shop

This use to belong to my Grandma, and at one time she tried to freshen it up with something that gave it those funny smear marks on it. It think it was suppose to give it more wood grain look . . . probably at the time mahogany was out and oak was in.

At one point a sister ended up with it, then when DH and I moved into our first house (20 years ago) she asked if we wanted this piece as it would not fit in the place she was moving into. I have no idea what ever happened to the table, chairs or other pieces, I know she does not have them anymore.

When I got it, the piece was already very worn and in need of help. I ended up with no place in the house for it, so it ended up as storage in the garage - in MN, then in WI and now in SD.

I don't think anyone will feel bad about me cleaning up and painting this piece. Best part, it matches in style my table/chair set, it's a bit smaller so it won't stick out from the alcove and it's shorter so I can put more shelves above it.

I am going to put wainscoting in the room, paint a gold above to match the kitchen, the put the stencil on that. The spot between the windows and bricks will get the plate shelf. The table and chairs will be the only furniture in the room, unless I decide to put a chair by the woodstove (the fridge won't be staying there).

The chandelier will be centered over the table with no swag, and I am considering getting a molded ceiling medallion to up there - something to draw attention to that spot and away from the white ceiling fan over the wood stove

Yesterday I was ready to cry about my dining room, now I'm excited about it again.

Comments (26)