SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
valinsv

Displaying family photos

Valerie Noronha
16 years ago

I would love to get some ideas and see some examples of tasteful ways to display family photos. Before remodel we put most of the pictures in the hallway with some old ones in our bedroom. It was a hodge podge collection in a variety of frames and the longer we were in our house the more photos we collected.

I've just started putting a few up and am tried of having them in boxes. I've been wedding through them, packing some away and thinking about where to put others as well as updating the frames and possibly blowing up some of the old pictures so they are of similar size.

DD just told me of a friend whose parents have each school picture up of each child which must amount to about 25 portraits in all--that seems over the top and making life all about the kids. I would not feel comfortable with that--though was thinking of display one recent photo per child, plus one picture of them with their first soccer team (we are a big soccer family). We also have a large 11x14 framed family photo of us. Is it tacky to display a picture of that size in a main area of the house? Then we have our wedding picture (don't feel like displaying that in public and have relegated it to the bedroom), each of our parents' wedding pictures, 8x10 of my DH's deceased father (don't really want to display that--but don't want to hurt DH's feelings). Then a collection of old family photos--misc frame sizes plus two of the photo cutout inserts with various pictures of close family and friends. Also have pics of each child's baptism, first communion and one confirmation (everyone seems to think a commemorative frame is a nice gift). I've weeded that down and keep it in the bedroom. I don't want our home to just be a showpiece of tasteful, but impersonal possessions--at the same time I don't want it to look like a shrine to our family or kids.

I'm thinking of doing more of a tasteful arrangement in the family room this time and limit the frame sizes to 8x10. Or perhaps I should just put them all back in the hallway and our bedroom. We have a skylight in the hallway so it gets plenty of light.

I really don't want the house to look too cluttered or convey the feeling of self importance--at the same time not impersonal either. Any suggestions are welcome. Don't worry about offending!

Comments (8)