SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaysd_gw

What questions to ask a potential GC

kaysd
12 years ago

The architect finished our initial plan drawings and we are getting ready to meet with GCs to get bids. The first one comes over tomorrow morning. I will be meeting with him alone since DH has to work and I am on maternity leave. The main purposes of the visit are for us to discuss the drawings and for his framing, plumbing and electrical subs to look at our house so they can give us a bid. Another GC will be coming on Monday. We plan to get at least 3 bids. I expect we will have lots to discuss with the front runner(s) once we see the bids, but I am wondering what I should try to cover at the initial meeting. Is this when I should ask for references I can call or job sites I can visit?

I would appreciate any advice you can give, or feel free to point me to old threads if this is already covered elsewhere. We've never gone through a competitive bidding process with GCs before. At our last house, we hired the husband of a colleague to GC for us - worked out great on the first project, but not so much on the second.

For the 3 GCs our architect and cabinet maker recommended, I checked the BBB website. One company had an A+ rating, and the other 2 were not listed. Are there other sources I should check? TIA!

Comments (7)