SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
la_koala

OK to ask GCs I would't use to do a bid?

la_koala
13 years ago

You all were such champs for weighing in on my question about the Estimator guides, that I thought I'd start a new thread on this specific question:

- Is it honorable/ethical to ask additional GCs to participate in a bid process when I already know which ones I'd prefer working with?

I've interviewed 6 GCs for a kitchen remodel (old home, with all its potential surprises) and talked with their references. Out of the 6 initial interviewees:

• One has not returned any follow-up calls, so I think he's not interested in the project.

• Two are tops--I'd be happy with either. (Not that they were *perfect*--just that I feel I can work with them and either would do a great job).

• The middle two each had some idiosyncracy that I'm just not sure I'd be able to work with.

• I didn't like the attitude of one of the six (he didn't listen well and likes to do things his way).

I'd like to do a bid process-certainly with the two GCs that are at the top of my list. But I'd like more than two data points so that I can accurately assess the estimates. I'm a homeowner without the specialized knowledge needed to have my own idea of what it should cost.

At the same time, I feel reluctant to ask someone to go through all of the effort of doing the bid process if I'm fairly sure I wouldn't hire him, even if his was the lowest bid.

- What do you think? Am I being silly to feel this way?

- Should I continue to interview more GCs, to get at least a third that I like as least as much as my "top two"?

Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)