SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pasdjfoweikjf

GC asking us to pull electric+plumbing permits

pasdjfoweikjf
8 years ago

Greetings all,

We've been going through a pretty major addition since the beginning of this year and it's reached the point where the general contractor is getting ready to schedule the framing inspection. Electrical and plumbing rough-ins are supposedly done, mechanical is due to be completed soon ("tomorrow" but this GC routinely over promises and under delivers on matters of scheduling).

Today the GC dropped a document in front of us, an "Affidavit of Permit Authorization", requesting that we sign and get it notarized so he can pull electrical and plumbing permits because, "his company cannot do so." The document is fairly short (Affidavit Of Permit Authorization) (I hope that link was done correctly, should be a link to the Arlington County PDF form in question) and seems to say, basically, we are fully responsible for his work, whatever "fully responsible" means.

We contacted the county and the individual we spoke with indicated this was normal (?) and we shouldn't be concerned because any liability remained with the contractor (??). If you read the document it seems pretty clear that it says we, as the owners, are assuming "full responsibility" for the work. There's even some language in the fine print at the bottom indicating that the use of this form is abnormal and we might want to be concerned.

Does anyone have any experience with a situation like this? Verbally, the county and the GC both tell me there's nothing to worry about, but the text of what I'm being asked to sign seems to say otherwise. Am I being overly suspicious and unfair in thinking there are some shenanigans afoot?

TIA for any words of wisdom you have to offer,

Comments (50)