SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
engineerchic_gw

Any downside to windows on either side of fireplace?

EngineerChic
11 years ago

The picture above is of a room in a house that is listed for sale. It's not my house.

But, it's about the same age as my house and probably a similar footprint. Our living room has a big picture window on one wall, but it faces North and looks onto the front porch. So, it's sort of dark.

The fireplace wall faces West, and I am planning to replace the first floor windows sometime in 2013 or 2014. I'd like to get some more light in the living room and I was thinking that windows on either side of the fireplace would be nice.

2 possible problems:
1) they'd be too small to be double hung, and the rest of the windows are 6:1 (simulated divided light with grids on the inside and outside). Would it look weird to have small casements in the same room as double hung windows?

2). I have an antique map on the wall in the living room. It is opposite the big picture window that faces North, so it doesn't get any direct sun on it today. It's from 1870 and I LOVE it (its an old classroom map). Would I need to protect it or move it?

I know this is pretty far out (timeline) but if anyone has windows on either side of their fireplace and loves or hates them, let me know. I think it would really help with the lack of light but don't know what the trade off is.

Thank you!

Comments (15)