SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
design_novice27

Painting oak cabinets--Advice needed

design_novice27
13 years ago

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last month reading through all of the threads about painting cabinets in this forum. I think I'm finally ready to take the plunge and paint my oak cabinets white, but I do have a few lingering questions. Any help you all could offer would be great. Here is a picture of my kitchen:

My fiance and I plan on replacing the countertops (to a brown laminate) and the brass chandelier in the course of this project. We're going for a more shabby chic/French country kitchen look. In five years or so we'll want to replace the entire kitchen (including floors and cabinets), so right now we're looking to make a few improvements to keep us happy until then.

1). How much sanding should I do on the cabinets during pre-paint prep? Do they need to be stripped down down completely or will a light sanding do?

2). If I use a grain filler, do I follow it with a primer? What brands do you suggest? I will be using latex paint (since I read that oil yellows over time).

3). The cabinet ends and bottoms (near the floor)look like particle board. Does this require special prep different from that of the cabinets when painting?

In looking through the photos posted on this site, I noticed that some people used bead board on their cabinet ends. Do you just glue these on or is there a special adhesive to use? Did anyone use bead board for the bottoms of the cabinets near the floor?

4). My cabinet hardware joints are hidden from view when looking directly at closed cabinets. Does this type of hardware require any special prep when I paint the cabinets?

Thanks!!

Comments (4)