SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gailrolfe

Warming drawer plus double ovens in one stack?

gailrolfe
15 years ago

I am wondering if it works to have my warming drawer beneath my double ovens? My warming drawer is 11 1/2" high and the ovens (Thermador)are 59 1/4", including the panel of knobs. When I use the measuring tape to figure this out, assuming about 2-3" for the toekick, it comes in a few inches higher than where my ovens are currently. But my current ovens are small 24" and the new ones will be 30". So I'm wondering what experience you all have with the highest an oven drawer should be...I'm only 5'3" tall, besides.

Comments (17)

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, Sweeby...that's an interesting point. Do you have it at the top of your cabinet (I.e, like the top drawer)?

• Related Discussions

Stacking double ovens & advantium

Q

Comments (4)
    You DON'T want to stack a MW or Advantium over double ovens -- it's just too high. An Advantium or microwave should go near the R/F. Warming drawer near cooktop, or get a range & use its oven for a warming drawer plus extra oven. Then single or double convection oven, based on your choice of above configuration. Our relatives in Chicago have always had an extra stove in the basement for big dinners. A friend of mine has a very small kitchen, and uses a big Nesco roaster for the turkey.
    ...See More

Double oven vs. warming drawer?

Q

Comments (12)
    We were going to buy a warming drawer and single oven but the gal in the appliance center talked us out of it . . . and we are incredibly glad that she did! Instead, we went with the KA double oven, as it has a bread proofing setting. Both ovens go as low as 170-degrees, with one oven also capable of going down to 140-degrees to dry fruit, etc. The nice thing is that it also works very well keeping things warm if they're covered. I like that my double ovens work for me every day, baking or keeping things warm while I get my meals ready. The bread proofing mode is great, too!
    ...See More

Island, cooktop, warming drawer, double oven, help

Q

Comments (5)
    Modern gas ovens cannot be used when the power is out. Scratch that idea. I would not want a downdraft in a new kitchen. What is the reason you want the cooktop on the island? If you want to keep the view, relocate the cooktop off the island so that you don't need to block the view to get decent ventilation. I agree to look into induction if you haven't already, because I believe everyone should. That said, with a pop-up downdraft (which is the standard nowadays) that rises a decent height, you shouldn't have issues with pulling the gas flame. Still it's a real compromise in function.
    ...See More

Feedback on oven stack with warming drawer layout

Q

Comments (12)
    Since you are 5'9" I would go with the higher oven stack height in the white layout. The yellow layout puts the oven and the warming drawer too low unless you were much shorter. I would not serve from the warming drawer; its going to be too low for that in either layout plus it might be messy and guests might not notice there was more food in the drawer if it was closed. Maybe what you need instead is a pullout shelf somewhere in the kitchen? As for the warming drawer itself it is certainly an optional item in any kitchen and moreso in a compact kitchen like yours. I would not give up the pot/pan drawer beneath the cooktop or any other space that I would use every day in order to put in a warming drawer I would use a few times each year -- but your usage may be different.
    ...See More
  • sweeby
    15 years ago

Mine's in the middle drawer, and it works well for me. (I'l also vertically challenged.) But if I had a 'do over', it was an option allowed by the cabinet company, and I had plenty of shallow top-drawer space available, I think I'd go for the top-drawer position.

• phoggie
    15 years ago

My warming drawer is on the bottom of my double ovens and I love it there....wouldn't have it any other place.

• grannysmith18
    15 years ago

Another reason not to have them stacked is that you then have to put the double over higher to accommodate the warming drawer. Once you do that, I find that the top oven becomes to high, especially the upper racks. In my opinion, the top of the lower oven shouldn't be any higher than 36 inches, so as to avoid the top oven going too high up.

You should really go to Home Expo or the Great Indoors, or somplace that has lots of combinations set up on display. Bring some of your baking pans & pretend to be taking out a turkey or cake out of the oven. See how it goes.

• vineyard
    15 years ago

No, no, no...IMO absolutely NO on the warming drawer that low. I'm 5'3 1/2" and I HATE my microwave/oven/warming drawer configuration in my house now. Actually, I love the MW and the oven heights, but I've never used the WD, even though I think I'd use it more often if it was more easily accessible.

I also have pets (including large dogs) so the height of the WD at that level is right where their "eating level" is. I just use it basically as another drawer to store stuff in. YMMV, though.

My new kitchen will have the Lacanche warming cupboard (I have a Cluny 1400) and I am looking forward to using it!

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

helou, great idea about Home Expo...not only pans, I think I'll take along my tape measure! The top oven being too high is my concern.

Phoggie, I have a friend who also has her's where your's is and loves and uses it all the time...in fact she was the one who convinced me to get one. But something is kind of telling me that I'm more likely to use it in a higher position like vineyard and sweeby suggested...maybe I"m just the max in lazy!

And vineyard, I hadn't thought about the dog issue...have similar issue here and can just imagine her coming over to "help" me get things out! More importantly, though, what does YMMV mean? :-) That's the first time I've seen that one!

Thanks for all the help...I'll go to Home Expo and get back to my drawings.

• vineyard
    15 years ago

gailrolfe, I didn't know what YMMV was either until just recently, but it means "your mileage may vary" meaning everyone's situation is different (e.g. not everyone has large dogs!)

• margieb2
    15 years ago

I would have liked my warming drawer in a higher position but there was no room anywhere other than under my double ovens so that's where it is. I use it and I like it. However, I wish I could have put it in an upper drawer position somewhere.

-Margie

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

vineyard, I love it! YMMV....I can't wait to use it with my DS who thinks I don't know ANYTHING about the "techy" world! :-)

I hear you, margieb2...even if I decide, after investigating, that I want it higher, I'm not sure if I'll find room. But one step at a time...even if I can't move it, at least I'll know that I'm doing it as a second choice. It's interesting that even though you've had it lower and use it over time you still wish it were higher...so it's not like something you "just got used to".

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Another voice here....

Are your double ovens near your cooktop? Over the past year that I've been around (I can't believe I've been here that long!), there have been numerous threads here & on Appliances concerning warming drawers: whether they're worth it at all, where's the best place for them, etc.

It seems that the overwhelming majority who are happy with and use their WDs regularly have placed them near (or under) their cooktop. Some also have placed it near their DR...that also seems to help. But overall, I have to say the cooktop, not the oven stack, is the best position. I was originally going to have a MW/Oven/WD stack and then DO/WD stack...but after reading the numerous posts, I changed my mind....and I'm very glad I did!

My WD is in the cabinet to the left of my cooktop and, like Sweeby's, mine is in the "middle" drawer position. Now that everything's installed, I realize that if I had stacked my WD w/the ovens my top oven would probably have been too high...and I'm not vertically challenged (5'10"). [Right now, the door of the upper oven is "chest" high when open and I actually slightly burned a very sensitive part of my "chest" when I leaned against the door accidentally! So, even a little lower would have been better.]

Also, that location would have been "out of the way" and would have made it less likely that I would use it for what it was designed for and not add'l storage.

Oh, and BTW, toekicks are 4.5" here in the States.

The DO is on the other side of the kitchen from the cooktop & just past the peninsula. (You can see the end of the peninsula from the first pic in the lower left corner of the second pic.)

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, buehl, I did(seems like a long time ago now) read a lot on the Appliances forum about WD's but decided that one of my goals is to make it easier for me to cook once and feed at different times so the WD seems like it will be a useful tool in that effort. My double ovens are actually just to the left of my cooktop but set back slightly into a sort of "baking center"...probably won't be the most natural location vis-a-vis the cooktop so based on most of the feedback I'm thinking the stack maybe isn't too conducive to really take advantage of the WD.

Do you have an induction cooktop? I've had a hard time letting go of the idea of getting one but the trade-off is having the built-in griddle I'm getting with the gas cooktop which I know we'll use a lot. What do you do for pancakes, quesadillas, tortillas, etc? I do love the nice neat look of the induction and having those shallow drawer spaces would be nice, too! (Your kitchen is beautiful, BTW!)

And it's interesting about the toe-kicks. My existing toe-kicks are just barely 3 inches high. The kitchen is probably pretty much original cabinets--or at least the basic structure is--and the house was built in 1930. I wonder if that's the reason for the difference...and I also wonder if it makes any difference? Are there arguments pro and con on the size of toekicks? Yikes, please not one more thing to choose between...:-)

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Gail--Actually, there is a quite a bit of variance in (finished) toe kick measurements because of different situations/ installs due to the varying thickness of flooring/ underlayment materials. For instance, my actual toe kick area measures 3 1/8'' because the cabs are sitting on the subfloor & there is 5/8'' of material over the subfloor plus vinyl underlayment and a layer of vinyl flooring. Also, kitchens have tended to collect layers of flooring over the years. And, shoes have evolved from having relatively thin leather soles in the past to the thick soled athletic footwear & trendy platform soles in current/ recent vogue.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

No, Gail, I don't have induction....at the time the cheapest ones were in the $4,000 range vs the $1,000 range for a "regular" electric cooktop. My DH did not want to pay that much for a cooktop plus have to buy all new pots & pans (ours are not induction-friendly!) I started to fight for it but then realized that (1) I could put one in later if it's wired properly for it (it is) and (2) if I gave in to DH with this he would be less likely to fight me on other things (like my $500 faucet or Trivection rather than just convection oven).

We ended up getting one of the least expensive GE Profile cooktops for the simple reason that it was the only one that had a bridge element to use w/my griddle for pancakes, etc. In our old kitchen I just put the griddle on the two left (different sized) burners and it worked OK although the heat was uneven. With the bridge element (an element b/w the two equal-sized left burners), the griddle now heats evenly.

ci_lantro....our cabinets sit on top of the tile, so that may be why our toe kick is the full height. I measured from the floor to the opening of the cabinet itself.

We tiled the entire Kitchen, Foyer, & Powder Room...underneath all cabinets, etc. We thought this would provide us with the best water protection. We've already had two under-cabinet water leaks from our first DW that weren't detected immediately so the water sat under the DW & cabinets...luckily we had vinyl and it didn't go through. Our water is slightly acidic and did a number on our old GE DW. We replaced it w/a Maytag a few years ago and had no problems. We have a KA with the new kitchen...we'll see how long it lasts (OK, I'm hoping only about 3 or 4 years so I can replace it...I don't like it!)

• allison1888
    15 years ago

I think it should be separate, but closeby. It really depends on how you'll use the space, but I think it's packing too much in to put it in one stack.

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ci lantro, that probably explains my barely 3 inch toe kick...we suspect the current tile on the floor is laid on top of several old floors...but I kind of like it not being too big so hopefully I'll be able to continue with the smaller space even though we'll be ripping out the flooring and probably laying hardwood. Thanks for the explanation.

Buehl, the things one learns! I never heard of a "bridge" (maybe because I've never really cooked on electric?) but that's an ingenious idea. I wonder if any of the induction tops do that...one more thing to research. I think the thing that appeals to me most about induction is the lack of heating up the kitchen. We're in So. Calif. and it gets pretty hot but we try really hard not to run the a/c much...after the first couple months of summer the bbq begins to get a little old...but heating up the kitchen is just out of the question. How do you like the Trivection oven?

Allison1888, I'm off to Home Expo to measure today so we'll see how it feels when I'm there!

• gailrolfe
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The results of my "study" are in: the top of the double oven (excluding the control panel) needs to be 59 inches high (+/- a little) for it not too feel too high...that is possible with the WD for me. However, what I discovered was that leaning down to put heavy or hot soupy things in the WD that LOW would not be my preferred motion and I could tell just testing it out that I would avoid doing it...must be age! :-)

An even bigger concern was that in testing, I was able to actually use the double oven stack of 30 inch pro Thermador ovens I have intended to buy and I discovered that my arms are just barely long enough to reach in over that huge door. So now I have to figure out if I can live with that or if there is a 27 inch oven that would be a better choice! Yikes...back to the Appliances forum. Just when I think one step (i.e., appliance choices) is all wrapped up!

But at least I know now that in doing my drawings I need to place that WD somewhere closer to my cooktop! Thank you to everyone who responded!