SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debo_2006

Frugal or splurge

debo_2006
15 years ago

I've posted before about our remodeled dining room. I'm looking for a DR set to seat 6. Nothing else has been purchased for this room yet - it's just 4 empty walls.

Here's the deal: We won't use our DR much except for the very occassional entertaining. Our room is small (13.5 x 11) and we mainly use it as a cut through to our laundry area. I despise clutter so the table won't become a "catch all". Since this room has been everything but it's intended namesake, we want to make it a DR for the occasional dinner party, etc.

Anyway, I found 2 sets on line that I like alot. One is an expensive (by my means) of $5K which includes the table, 2 arm chairs, 4 side chairs, and just the sideboard. It's solid cherry. Comes with 2-18" leaves of which we could never use one of them since our room is too small.

The other set has 6 side chairs and is round opening to an oval. This one is made from MDF which I'm not happy about. However, I did get a wood sample from this place and if it is MDF it's the sturdiest and nicest looking piece I've seen made from the stuff. My DH was very surprised that the sample was MDF. It does look like wood and looks quite solid. He thought it would be junk.

Now my dilemma is which to buy. We can afford to buy either, but I do have a difficult time spending 5K on something that will get minimum use. We're 50 and childless, don't entertain too often, and won't use the DR set much except for occasional company & holidays. We also have a breakfast counter and island in the kitchen where people tend to hang. Both of these are counter height so a regular height table is what I want.

With the economy the way it is, I feel the 5K is alot to spend on something that is NOT a necessity.

Someone open my eyes and tell me why I should buy one over the other with the info I provided. I'm torn. My DH said he's fine with either one, but did say that if I get the expensive one, it's here for the long haul. If I get the frugal one and get bored with it in 6+ years, it was cheap enough to replace for another style.

Here's a link to the cherry set:

http://furniturefromhome.com/products/first-category/trwns-FC-6641DT

Here's a link to the frugal set:

http://www.dinettegallery.com/store/product/3609/Barrington_5_Piece_Oval_Dining_Set_by_Liberty

Thanks.

Comments (43)