SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
homeagain_gw

Finalizing house plans, 2 completely different kitchens

homeagain
13 years ago

We have our current home on the market with plans to build when this one sells. I have designed my own floor plan and will take it to a draftsman soon. Unfortunately, I keep playing around with the plan while waiting and have came up with two completely different kitchens that I love. The first would be the least expensive to build as it minimizes the number of corners in the plan footprint. I like how open it is to the family room and the abundance of space and the proximity of the pantry. What I don't love is having to walk through the breakfast area to get to the kitchen, the distance between the kitchen and formal dining room and what seems like a lot of wasted space at the bottom of the breakfast area.

My second plan would be more expensive to build because of the bumped out breakfast area. I love the space in this kitchen. I love not having blind corners. I love the large island. At 10x4 I thought I could do a section on the end nearest the fridge using 3" thick Boos butcherblock. I love the addition of a "hearthroom". With this plan however, the pantry isn't as convenient. I went so far as to change it from a walk-in to a row of pantry cabinets with pull out shelves. I'm sure this would be more expensive then the walk-in, however, it also gives me a lot more space in the mudroom. I haven't even given this change to my builder yet to see how final cost would be effected, so it may be so much as to not be affordable.

That's where you guys come in. Which is the more functional/attractive space? Which would you rather work in?

Thanks for looking!

Bren

Comments (7)